Socket 775 MB Recomendations?

Jogan

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I am planning to upgrade soon to a Core 2 Duo system and I am trying to decide what motherboard I should buy. I do not plan to overclock and I don't expect I will use SLI either. I prefer ASUS and have been looking at the following boards:

P5B Deluxe - P965 chipset, 8 phase power, $180
P5N-E SLI - 650i chipset, higher FSB support, $135

I am leaning towards the Nvidia chipset board since it is cheaper and should support a 1333FSB if I want to upgrade later.

My main concern is that I buy a board with the most longevity; I am hoping to be able to upgrade to a 45nm chip later. Any suggestions?

akhilles

Splendid
45nm is a cpu manufacturing process. nothing to do with mobos. All 775 mobos will support it with a bios update at most.

The beauty of C2D boards is that you can throw in a 65nm c2d cpu, pd 805, 45nm c2d cpu, or even a quad core cpu.

I'm leaning towards the P5B-E which is cheaper or even P5B if you're dead sure you won't overclock.

Fulmar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I use the P5N-E in non-sli and do not intend on using it in SLI. Main reason I bought it were the 650 ultra was/is not available yet, quad-core support with the 1333mhz FSB, good features, and price. No complaints so far. Only beef is the northbridge runs a wee bit hot (has no chipset fan just a heatsink), 50C idle.

Jogan

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I guess my main question here is what is the best chipset with regard to being compatible with future processors .

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Look at it this way then. Compatibility may best be served by using components made by the company that made the chips. "INTEL CHIPSETS WITH INTEL CPU's) In my opinion ASUS is a great board maker. I have P5W64 and a P5WDG2-WS-PRO and am considering a P5B Deluxe also because of its versatility.

In August 2006 ASUS did a BIOS upgrade to support max FSB from 500FSB to 650FSB and Last week they enabled support for
1 Enhance memory compatibility
2 Support CONROE E0 CPU(FSB 1333)

I may be wrong but it appears to me that there is more attention given to the intel chipset motherboards by Asus. Also a number of evaluations and benchmarks use the P5B Deluxe board.