How to disable Volume Shadow Copy via GP

When we had XP SP1 we controlled access to Volume Shadow "Previous Versions"
tab by only supplying the Volume Shadow Client software to selected users.

Since the nice people at Microsoft decided in their wisdom to include this
in SP2 I now have >3000 users with access to the "Previous Versions" tabs.
Given the abilities of our users this is not something we can live with.

KB article 888603 details a hotfix for both 2003 and XP that allows me to
disable
the tab, but seems very complicated for rolling out to > 3000 PC's

The 2003 hotfix now ships with 2003 sp1 but for XP I still have to get the
hotfix and install it on > 3000 PC's and then run reg scripts on them all.

Surely this update should be distributed via SUS and then a GPO could be
used to enable or disable this tab

Comments ?
7 answers Last reply
More about disable volume shadow copy

    Hi,

    I have used a registry key permission in Group Policy to "restrict" access
    to the Security Tab in Explorer so users cannot change permissions.

    However, I don't know what the Reg key would be for the Previous Versions tab.

    Is there a way just to actually "restrict" access to the locations you don't
    want the users to restore? 90% of my users don't have right click on Files
    and folders so that stopped access to the tab. However, I was in the opposite
    boat in that I Wanted the users to be able to restore previous versions of
    their own files.

    Users can only restore previous versions of files on the server they have
    access to. Is there a way to restrict access to the files instead?

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:16:03 -0700, "Rab Taylor" <RabTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >When we had XP SP1 we controlled access to Volume Shadow "Previous Versions"
    >tab by only supplying the Volume Shadow Client software to selected users.
    >
    >Since the nice people at Microsoft decided in their wisdom to include this
    >in SP2 I now have >3000 users with access to the "Previous Versions" tabs.
    >Given the abilities of our users this is not something we can live with.
    >

    >KB article 888603 details a hotfix for both 2003 and XP that allows me to
    >disable
    >the tab, but seems very complicated for rolling out to > 3000 PC's
    >
    >The 2003 hotfix now ships with 2003 sp1 but for XP I still have to get the
    >hotfix and install it on > 3000 PC's and then run reg scripts on them all.
    >
    >Surely this update should be distributed via SUS and then a GPO could be
    >used to enable or disable this tab
    >
    >Comments ?

    See tip 9016 » How can I remove the Previous Version tab from the Properties dialog?
    in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

    Hi Rab,

    Have you tried to disable services like Volume Shadow Copy and Microsoft
    Software Shadow Copy Provider ?

    Have you tried to only deploy the value NoPreviousVersionsPage by using
    group policy?

    Using Administrative Template Files with Registry-Based Group Policy
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/gp/admtgp.mspx

    br,
    Denis

    "Rab Taylor" <RabTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When we had XP SP1 we controlled access to Volume Shadow "Previous
    Versions"
    > tab by only supplying the Volume Shadow Client software to selected users.
    >
    > Since the nice people at Microsoft decided in their wisdom to include this
    > in SP2 I now have >3000 users with access to the "Previous Versions" tabs.
    > Given the abilities of our users this is not something we can live with.
    >

    > KB article 888603 details a hotfix for both 2003 and XP that allows me to
    > disable
    > the tab, but seems very complicated for rolling out to > 3000 PC's
    >
    > The 2003 hotfix now ships with 2003 sp1 but for XP I still have to get the
    > hotfix and install it on > 3000 PC's and then run reg scripts on them all.
    >
    > Surely this update should be distributed via SUS and then a GPO could be
    > used to enable or disable this tab
    >
    > Comments ?

    Nice Tip Jerold. I will have to remember that one if ever I need it.

    Cheers,
    Lara

    "Jerold Schulman" wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:16:03 -0700, "Rab Taylor" <RabTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >When we had XP SP1 we controlled access to Volume Shadow "Previous Versions"
    > >tab by only supplying the Volume Shadow Client software to selected users.
    > >
    > >Since the nice people at Microsoft decided in their wisdom to include this
    > >in SP2 I now have >3000 users with access to the "Previous Versions" tabs.
    > >Given the abilities of our users this is not something we can live with.
    > >

    > >KB article 888603 details a hotfix for both 2003 and XP that allows me to
    > >disable
    > >the tab, but seems very complicated for rolling out to > 3000 PC's
    > >
    > >The 2003 hotfix now ships with 2003 sp1 but for XP I still have to get the
    > >hotfix and install it on > 3000 PC's and then run reg scripts on them all.
    > >
    > >Surely this update should be distributed via SUS and then a GPO could be
    > >used to enable or disable this tab
    > >
    > >Comments ?
    >
    > See tip 9016 » How can I remove the Previous Version tab from the Properties dialog?
    > in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

    In regard to "regsvr32 /u twext.dll" I tried it on xp client and file server,
    it doens't work for me.

    "Jerold Schulman" wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:16:03 -0700, "Rab Taylor" <RabTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >When we had XP SP1 we controlled access to Volume Shadow "Previous Versions"
    > >tab by only supplying the Volume Shadow Client software to selected users.
    > >
    > >Since the nice people at Microsoft decided in their wisdom to include this
    > >in SP2 I now have >3000 users with access to the "Previous Versions" tabs.
    > >Given the abilities of our users this is not something we can live with.
    > >

    > >KB article 888603 details a hotfix for both 2003 and XP that allows me to
    > >disable
    > >the tab, but seems very complicated for rolling out to > 3000 PC's
    > >
    > >The 2003 hotfix now ships with 2003 sp1 but for XP I still have to get the
    > >hotfix and install it on > 3000 PC's and then run reg scripts on them all.
    > >
    > >Surely this update should be distributed via SUS and then a GPO could be
    > >used to enable or disable this tab
    > >
    > >Comments ?
    >
    > See tip 9016 » How can I remove the Previous Version tab from the Properties dialog?
    > in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

  6. HI ..

    Add this to lines to youre login script.

    REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer /V NoPreviousVersionsPage /T REG_DWORD /D 1

    REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer /V NoPreviousVersionsRestore /T REG_DWORD /D 1

    User wil not have the Previous Versions botton or Page..

    BG.
    Gabriel.
  7. Necropost

Microsoft Windows XP Windows