bootable rescue media

I recently downloaded Acronis TrueImage8.

I have been unable to get it to create the bootable rescue media on a
blank CD.

Details of my copy of Acronis:

Acronis True Image version 8.0 build 796

When I try to create the CD I receive the error message:

"Error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW".

This problem occurred with different blank CD's and in two separate
recorders connected to this computer.

I could not locate any troubleshooting for the bootable rescue media in
the help file so I e-mailled Acronis. Their reply stated:

Hello,

Thank you for using Acronis software.

"Please try to use the next tips to solve your problem:
- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application;
- Proceed until the program asks for a disc and open the tray;
- Insert a disc and then click the OK button
to close the tray automatically as well.

If that doesn't help then we also recommend you to update your
third party CD writing software if any to the latest version
available for free on its respective web site.

Please also note that you should use a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW
in order to create a bootable rescue disc."

I tried everything in the first paragraph with no results. I didn't
update my Nero because it works fine under all other burning situations.
Regarding the third paragraph, I assume that when a blank CD comes off
the spindle from the store it is unformatted?

My next step was to uninstall the entire program and reinstall it. No
change. No rescue CD. Same error message.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my next step should be ?

I hope this is an appropriate newsgroup to post my question to.

Thank you

--
Remove the "Delany" to reply.
8 answers Last reply

    Update Nero anyway.

    "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I recently downloaded Acronis TrueImage8.
    >
    > I have been unable to get it to create the bootable rescue media on a
    > blank CD.
    >
    > Details of my copy of Acronis:
    >
    > Acronis True Image version 8.0 build 796
    >
    > When I try to create the CD I receive the error message:
    >
    > "Error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW".
    >
    > This problem occurred with different blank CD's and in two separate
    > recorders connected to this computer.
    >
    > I could not locate any troubleshooting for the bootable rescue media in
    > the help file so I e-mailled Acronis. Their reply stated:
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > Thank you for using Acronis software.
    >
    > "Please try to use the next tips to solve your problem:
    > - Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application;
    > - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and open the tray;
    > - Insert a disc and then click the OK button
    > to close the tray automatically as well.
    >
    > If that doesn't help then we also recommend you to update your
    > third party CD writing software if any to the latest version
    > available for free on its respective web site.
    >
    > Please also note that you should use a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW
    > in order to create a bootable rescue disc."
    >

    > I tried everything in the first paragraph with no results. I didn't
    > update my Nero because it works fine under all other burning situations.
    > Regarding the third paragraph, I assume that when a blank CD comes off the
    > spindle from the store it is unformatted?
    >

    > My next step was to uninstall the entire program and reinstall it. No
    > change. No rescue CD. Same error message.
    >

    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my next step should be ?
    >
    > I hope this is an appropriate newsgroup to post my question to.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    I checked the Nero site.
    There is one higher version (6.6) than the one I have but it costs a lot
    (it is considered buying a new program).
    There are several updates but all are considered 'workarounds' for
    compatability with SP2 (which I do not have installed).
    I'm not yet convinced that it is a burning software problem, as the Nero
    does work perfectly under all other circumstances.
    On the other hand, I can't think of any other reason why the Bootable
    Rescue CD will not burn.

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    I read some of the reviews on CNet.com for Acronis 8 and it is a real mixed
    bag concerning the rescue cd. You may want to look at those for hints as to
    the problem. I assume you used the Acronis True Image forum at
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

    >I checked the Nero site.
    > There is one higher version (6.6) than the one I have but it costs a lot
    > (it is considered buying a new program).
    > There are several updates but all are considered 'workarounds' for
    > compatability with SP2 (which I do not have installed).
    > I'm not yet convinced that it is a burning software problem, as the Nero
    > does work perfectly under all other circumstances.
    > On the other hand, I can't think of any other reason why the Bootable
    > Rescue CD will not burn.
    >
    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    >> Update Nero anyway.
    >>

    > --
    > Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    When you put in the blank and press the close button on the writer and it closes, IMMEDIATELY press ok to burn the CD. Do not wait for the CD to spin up.

    That is how I do it and is the procedure that has worked for me since TI 6 and I use the same process for the other Acronis products as well.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message news:iQORd.2362$yX3.366@fe11.lga...
    |I recently downloaded Acronis TrueImage8.
    |
    | I have been unable to get it to create the bootable rescue media on a
    | blank CD.
    |
    | Details of my copy of Acronis:
    |
    | Acronis True Image version 8.0 build 796
    |
    | When I try to create the CD I receive the error message:
    |
    | "Error burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW".
    |
    | This problem occurred with different blank CD's and in two separate
    | recorders connected to this computer.
    |
    | I could not locate any troubleshooting for the bootable rescue media in
    | the help file so I e-mailled Acronis. Their reply stated:
    |
    | Hello,
    |
    | Thank you for using Acronis software.
    |
    | "Please try to use the next tips to solve your problem:
    | - Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the application;
    | - Proceed until the program asks for a disc and open the tray;
    | - Insert a disc and then click the OK button
    | to close the tray automatically as well.
    |
    | If that doesn't help then we also recommend you to update your
    | third party CD writing software if any to the latest version
    | available for free on its respective web site.
    |
    | Please also note that you should use a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW
    | in order to create a bootable rescue disc."
    |

    | I tried everything in the first paragraph with no results. I didn't
    | update my Nero because it works fine under all other burning situations.
    | Regarding the third paragraph, I assume that when a blank CD comes off
    | the spindle from the store it is unformatted?
    |

    | My next step was to uninstall the entire program and reinstall it. No
    | change. No rescue CD. Same error message.
    |

    | Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my next step should be ?
    |
    | I hope this is an appropriate newsgroup to post my question to.
    |
    | Thank you
    |
    | --
    | Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    Thank you.
    I looked on the CNET reviews and saw one person had identified this as a
    problem. Unfortunately, no solution was offered.
    I then registered with the Wilder Security forum that you provided a
    link for and I posted my question there.

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > I read some of the reviews on CNet.com for Acronis 8 and it is a real mixed
    > bag concerning the rescue cd. You may want to look at those for hints as to
    > the problem. I assume you used the Acronis True Image forum at
    > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    Outstanding, mrtee!

    You gave me the answer!

    The solution was to click "proceed" with the CD-RW bay still open and
    let Acronis close the bay for me. When the CD spun up the writing began.

    Thank you very much!

    » mrtee « wrote:
    > When you put in the blank and press the close button on the writer and it closes, IMMEDIATELY press ok to burn the CD. Do not wait for the CD to spin up.
    >
    > That is how I do it and is the procedure that has worked for me since TI 6 and I use the same process for the other Acronis products as well.

    --
    Remove the "Delany" to reply.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Babel17delany" <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote in message news:4218E5BB.3030009@optonline.net...
    | Outstanding, mrtee!
    |
    | You gave me the answer!
    |
    | The solution was to click "proceed" with the CD-RW bay still open and
    | let Acronis close the bay for me. When the CD spun up the writing began.
    |
    | Thank you very much!

    Babel17delany <Babel17delany@optonline.net> wrote:

    >I recently downloaded Acronis TrueImage8.

    So did I (actually I bought it outright it as a download from NewEgg
    for $34). Great price from a great company.

    >I have been unable to get it to create the bootable rescue media on a
    >blank CD.

    I had trouble with that too, until it occurred to me that my brand new
    dual layer DVD burner might not be doing to well with my two year old
    4x CD-R blanks. So, at 3 AM in the morning (retired EE/programmer
    here, old habits) I went to Wal-Mart to see what was available these
    days for CD-R media. There was nothing on the shelf below 32x. :)

    I bought a 50 pack of 48x CD-R media for $18 and headed home,
    confident that my problem with making a True Image boot CD was now
    fixed. Well, guess what, ...it was fixed! Now those three remaining
    blank 4x CD-R disks from my two year old purchase are de facto
    coasters. :)

    By the way, if you plan to image your boot hard drive as a backup for
    your OS, and the drive has more than one partition on it, you should
    image the entire drive, not just the boot partition. I tried the
    latter first, followed by a test restore to a new hard drive. That
    drive would not boot to XP Pro completely. It wouldn't boot to safe
    mode either. After digging through the Acronis help forum, I found a
    blurb that said you should backup the entire boot disk, not just the
    boot partition (the problem has something to do with the master boot
    record). I then proceeded to do just that, and then tried another
    test restore. This time, the restored disk booted up just fine, an
    apparent exact mirror of the imaged disk.

    At this point then, just a few days after my Acronis True Image
    purchase, I'm fairly impressed with the software -- it works! Now I
    plan to buy a USB hard drive to use with True Image for backup.

CD-Rom Error Message Windows XP