Software Deployment with %logonserver%

Is it possible to use the %logonserver% variable when deploying software with
group policy? I want to put the package in the NETLOGON folder so that users
in remote sites can install from the local DC and not have to pull it over
the WAN.

Thanks,

Rich

Hi Rich,

I think the proper approach is to separate your users and computers in
remote site in a separate OU and create a different GPO for them so as to
not using %logonserver% in deployment.

br,
Denis

"Rich Bashaw" <RichBashaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to use the %logonserver% variable when deploying software
with
> group policy? I want to put the package in the NETLOGON folder so that
users
> in remote sites can install from the local DC and not have to pull it over
> the WAN.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

If sites and services were configured correctly, could he use a DFS, which
would force the user to use the 'closest' server, provided his DFS included
those servers, in both locations?

Ken

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
message news:OlpXo9bjFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

"" wrote:
> Is it possible to use the %logonserver% variable when
> deploying software with
> group policy? I want to put the package in the NETLOGON folder
> so that users
> in remote sites can install from the local DC and not have to
> pull it over
> the WAN.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

in your case I would use DFS to store the install binaries

don’t use the netlogon share or sysvol for this

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Software-Deployment-logonserver-ftopict398372.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318254