Sign in with
Your question

maybe wrong board, but...Quick question about Laptops....

Last response: in Systems
January 31, 2007 2:58:34 AM

If i hook up an external monitor to my laptop along with an exteral keyboard, can the rest of my laptop act sorta like a desktop and me keep it like under my desk or something with the lid closed?
January 31, 2007 4:21:36 AM

Yes, I use a laptop at work and place it under my monitor stand after powering it up (wish they'd come up with external power buttons for desktop replacement laptops....). Just go into your power settings by right clicking on the desktop and going into properties, under the screen saver tab click the power button near the bottom of the window and set the "do this when I close the lid" to nothing.
January 31, 2007 10:07:37 AM

Thanks! Will it still shut down the monitor on my laptop when i close the lid? in the last week or so i've been lookin into getting a new desktop PC and I have to buy all the bells and whistles(monitor, case, etc...). I've decided to hold off a little bit on most everything, but I figured if I went ahead and got a monitor, keyboard, and mouse that I knew i'd be using with the desktop in the future then it would cut back on cost when I actually do buy my rig.
January 31, 2007 10:49:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Will it still shut down the monitor on my laptop when i close the lid? in the last week or so i've been lookin into getting a new desktop PC and I have to buy all the bells and whistles(monitor, case, etc...). I've decided to hold off a little bit on most everything, but I figured if I went ahead and got a monitor, keyboard, and mouse that I knew i'd be using with the desktop in the future then it would cut back on cost when I actually do buy my rig.

Just something I would like to add....

A lot of laptops will go into hibernate or sleep mode when the lid is shut and the power is on. You can change this in the power options under the control panel on your system.
!