Sign in with
Your question

6600, P5W DH, first overclock, advice comments

Last response: in Overclocking
January 31, 2007 3:55:32 AM

I followed Wusy's guide as closely as I could but have a few questions and would like some input on my results. In question to Wusy's guide here

1. AI Overclocking same as AI Tuning
3. 33.33 ok instead of 33?
5. could not find anything about spread spectrum
6. should I disable q fan for cpu chassis and pwr, it didn't really specify
7. is "Limit CPUID Max to 3" the same as "Max CPUID Value Limit"
8. could not find overvoltage protection
10. is EIST also known as "Intel Speedstep tech"
11. I could see but not disable "Virtualization Technology" - item grayed out
12. could not find No-execute memory protect

Other questionable items i found but didn't touch were below, should I disable?
microcode updation is enabled
CPU internal thermal control is at auto
DRAM Throttling threshold is at auto

Without any changes after disabling all I could find, speedfan idle 25c 1.31v, core temp idle 36-37c

This is where it gets a little tricky since I'm using 800 ram I had to tweak a little to get it to work, although my first attempt with the 333 fsb didn't not boot, I then lowed the fsb to 300 and got:

OC'd to 2.7 3:4 fsb:mem 300 fsb 4-4-4-12 at 2.1

speedfan, idle 29c 1.38v, core temp idle 42-44c
speedfan, load 37-40c 1.38v, core temp load 52-55c

I remember reading that a 1:1 fsb to mem ratio is best so I adjust it and upped the timings a little bit and retried the 333 fsb and was able to get:

oc'd to 3.01 1:1 fsb:mem 333fsb 5-5-5-15 at 2.1

speedfan, idle 29c at 1.38v, core temp idle 42-44c
speedfan, load 37-40c 1.38v, core temp load 52-55c

On both OCs prime 95 was stable as well as memtest 86 and the core speed stayed the same (with that small fluctuating variance that it has). Now 3.0 ghz was my goal for this and now I'm looking to make everything stable and optimize everything else.

Final Settings
cpu frequency 333
dram frequency 666

PCI-E frequency 100
PCI clock 33.33

mem voltage 2.1
cpu vcore 1.4
fsb termination voltage 1.4
mch voltage 1.55
ich voltage 1.2

cpu frequency 2997mhz
fsb speed 1333mhz

memory 5-5-5-15

So be honest, am I on the right track? And please post any suggestions you have that can help me meet my goals.
January 31, 2007 3:21:27 PM

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you are. I have all my parts except my CPU and RAM, which I ordered and are on the way. I always have P5W DH Deluxe with E6600. I orderd GeIL PC1000 (8000) 5-5-5-12 which can also run at 4-4-4-12 at 1000, and can over clock to 1400 (if I remember correctly from the reviews I've read). I haven't actually been able to go through my motherboard settings but I've read the same guide (as well as other guides) and I had a lot of the same questions you did.

Here's what I think the answer are (for the one's i'm pretty sure about):
To answer #3: 33.33 = 33 for PCI, i'm sure that's what Wusy meant.
To answer #5: If you don't see spread spectrum, then don't worry about it
To answer #7: I'm pretty sure "Limit CPUID Max to 3" IS the same as "Max CPUID Value Limit"

All the others I, like you, would like clarification. Thanks for posting timings, voltages, and speeds in a detailed way, I'll be trying this in a week or so and I"ll let you know what I can come up with.

-GWolfman
January 31, 2007 8:39:36 PM

my initial thoughts were that if the initial goal of wusy's guide was to hit 4.0ghz, if I could lower the vcore and also attempt to drop the ram timings back down to 4-4-4-12. What I'm not sure at all about is if I'll need to make any changes to the fsb termination voltage, mch voltage and ich voltage. Or I could always try taking it higher but I'd really like to get everything buckled down to 3.0ghz and then work from there so if I have to reset the bios for any reason I can have all of my settings marked down somewhere and not have to go through and redo everything to get back to 3.0ghz.
Related resources
February 1, 2007 1:46:22 PM

Quote:
...if I could lower the vcore and also attempt to drop the ram timings back down to 4-4-4-12. What I'm not sure at all about is if I'll need to make any changes to the fsb termination voltage, mch voltage and ich voltage...

Then just start dropping the timings down one at a time and check for stableness. Then start dropping your voltages one increment at a time, again checking for stableness. That should give you a solid baseline to work up from. :)  Good luck! Let me know what your final setting are for 3GHz :!:
February 2, 2007 1:39:12 AM

alright I dropped the timings down to 4-4-4-12 and ran memtest for a couple hours and no problems. For the heck of it while i had the cpu voltage at 1.4 i was able to get the fsb up to 380 stable but not 400. I've decided to go with 350 fsb and have lowered the cpu voltage down to 1.3825 (i believe that was the number but it was 1 step down on the voltage list from 1.4). I'm currently running prime95. Although it's already been running for over 30 minutes now without a problem so I don't expect any issues. After it passes this test tonight, I'll probably start trying out lowering the timings on the ram since it's cl4 ram and then I'll adjust any of the other voltages down. All in all 3.15ghz off of a 2.4ghz is good enough for me for everyday standards. barring any other restrictions I'm thinking that if I went a little higher on the voltage than 1.4 400 fsb would be very reachable for a 3.6ghz oc on air.
!