Streaming audio on Windows Media Player

April 28, 2005 2:43:27 AM

Hi!

Is it just me, or is there a problem with streaming audio on the PocketPC
with WMP 10? I have a rock solid wi-fi connection at home and have no
problem listening to the media stream at http://www.sunny99.com on my
desktop systems, but the WMP 10 in my Dell Axim X50v will not play this
type of audio stream. The OS is Windows Mobile 2003 SE, if that helps.

Kind regards,

Hog
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:10:11 PM

Does it wirk if you copy and paste this into the Open->URL box of
windows media on the pocket PC ?

http://players.eonstreams.com/FastAim/Player/Play.php?P...

The web page is designed specifically to obfuscate ("hide") the real
stream address. No, I don't know why they do this, kind of pointless.
It's a 32kbps mono stream in windows media 9 format, so it will play
just fine on the PPC.

The direct stream URL (which is probably better to use long term due
to the "securitykey" rubbish above) is :

http://ccri.eonstreams.com/ccri_tx_houston_koda_fm.asf

Cheers - Neil

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:43:27 GMT, Hog <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Is it just me, or is there a problem with streaming audio on the PocketPC
>with WMP 10? I have a rock solid wi-fi connection at home and have no
>problem listening to the media stream at http://www.sunny99.com on my
>desktop systems, but the WMP 10 in my Dell Axim X50v will not play this
>type of audio stream. The OS is Windows Mobile 2003 SE, if that helps.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Hog
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 8:20:01 PM

Thank you so much for the help, Neil!! The second link works fine (but
the first one fails...). Can you tell me how you found the working URL?
I would like to be able to find appropriate PPC links for various other
radio stations on the net, and would really appreciate a little guidance
here!

Thanks again,

Hog

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in

> Does it wirk if you copy and paste this into the Open->URL box of
> windows media on the pocket PC ?
>
> http://players.eonstreams.com/FastAim/Player/Play.php?P...
&SecurityKey=50767

> The web page is designed specifically to obfuscate ("hide") the real
> stream address. No, I don't know why they do this, kind of pointless.
> It's a 32kbps mono stream in windows media 9 format, so it will play
> just fine on the PPC.
>
> The direct stream URL (which is probably better to use long term due
> to the "securitykey" rubbish above) is :
>
> http://ccri.eonstreams.com/ccri_tx_houston_koda_fm.asf
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:43:27 GMT, Hog <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>
>>Is it just me, or is there a problem with streaming audio on the
>>PocketPC with WMP 10? I have a rock solid wi-fi connection at home
>>and have no problem listening to the media stream at
>>http://www.sunny99.com on my desktop systems, but the WMP 10 in my
>>Dell Axim X50v will not play this type of audio stream. The OS is
>>Windows Mobile 2003 SE, if that helps.
>>
>>Kind regards,
>>
>>Hog

April 28, 2005 10:26:54 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:20:01 GMT, Hog <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Thank you so much for the help, Neil!! The second link works fine (but
>the first one fails...). Can you tell me how you found the working URL?

I work in the web industry. Using View->Source and cutting open the
HTML and stream files is in my line of work (about 5 minutes of it ;-)

> I would like to be able to find appropriate PPC links for various other
>radio stations on the net, and would really appreciate a little guidance
>here!
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Hog
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in
>
>> Does it wirk if you copy and paste this into the Open->URL box of
>> windows media on the pocket PC ?
>>
>> http://players.eonstreams.com/FastAim/Player/Play.php?P...
>&SecurityKey=50767
>>
>> The web page is designed specifically to obfuscate ("hide") the real
>> stream address. No, I don't know why they do this, kind of pointless.
>> It's a 32kbps mono stream in windows media 9 format, so it will play
>> just fine on the PPC.
>>
>> The direct stream URL (which is probably better to use long term due
>> to the "securitykey" rubbish above) is :
>>
>> http://ccri.eonstreams.com/ccri_tx_houston_koda_fm.asf
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:43:27 GMT, Hog <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!
>>>
>>>Is it just me, or is there a problem with streaming audio on the
>>>PocketPC with WMP 10? I have a rock solid wi-fi connection at home
>>>and have no problem listening to the media stream at
>>>http://www.sunny99.com on my desktop systems, but the WMP 10 in my
>>>Dell Axim X50v will not play this type of audio stream. The OS is
>>>Windows Mobile 2003 SE, if that helps.
>>>
>>>Kind regards,
>>>
>>>Hog

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:46:47 AM

Excellent! But now my problem appears to be browser related - I click
on View->Source and nothing pops-up. I tried this on another desktop
system and it opened up notepad with a view of the webpage source. Is
there a registry key that is hosed, or a configuration problem that can
be rectified? HELP!!

Thanks so much,

> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:20:01 GMT, Hog <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Thank you so much for the help, Neil!! The second link works fine
(but
>>the first one fails...). Can you tell me how you found the working
URL?

> I work in the web industry. Using View->Source and cutting open the
> HTML and stream files is in my line of work (about 5 minutes of it ;-)

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 1:31:12 PM

In IE, check the settings : Tools->Options->Programs : The first entry
(HTML editor) should be pointed to your favourite text editor.

In firefox browser, it's got its own native viewer (as well as lots of
other really cool web goodies), so of course I'd recommend getting
firefox and the web developer extensions :

Cheers - Neil

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 20:46:47 GMT, Hog <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Excellent! But now my problem appears to be browser related - I click
>on View->Source and nothing pops-up. I tried this on another desktop
>system and it opened up notepad with a view of the webpage source. Is
>there a registry key that is hosed, or a configuration problem that can
>be rectified? HELP!!
>
>Thanks so much,
>
>Hog
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:20:01 GMT, Hog <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you so much for the help, Neil!! The second link works fine
>(but
>>>the first one fails...). Can you tell me how you found the working
>URL?
>>
>> I work in the web industry. Using View->Source and cutting open the
>> HTML and stream files is in my line of work (about 5 minutes of it ;-)

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 12:50:43 AM

Excellent advice, Neil (Firefox) since my IE6 is still hosed re: viewing
source. The default html editor for IE6 is MS Word, but working systems
launch notepad when selecting View->Source. NP on Firefox, though :)

!