Don't want User GP to run on Terminal Server - Possible?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
July 24, 2005 6:28:03 AM

Hi, I am using Windows 2003 AD and the GPMC tool for my Group policy. I am
just testing a user GP on our IT teams OU. I have enabled screensavers to
kick in after 15 mins and then lock their desktops based on their IT OU (user
not computer), however this also works for our 2 Terminal Servers (Citrix).
When a screensaver kicks in on those the CPU goes through the roof. So I
thought maybe I can stop the screensaver to kick in on these 2 servers only?

Hi, I am using Windows 2003 AD and the GPMC tool for my Group policy. I am
just testing the user GP on our IT team. I have enabled screensavers to kick
in after 15 mins and then lock their desktops based on there IT OU user
group, however this also works for our 2 Terminal Servers (Citrix). When a
screen saver kicks in on those the CPU goes through the roof. So I thought
maybe I can stop the screensaver to kick in on these 2 servers only?

Also how can I see which GP will win?

Thanks

Thanks

July 24, 2005 1:15:14 PM

"SW" <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am using Windows 2003 AD and the GPMC tool for my Group policy. I am
> just testing a user GP on our IT teams OU. I have enabled screensavers to
> kick in after 15 mins and then lock their desktops based on their IT OU
> (user
> not computer), however this also works for our 2 Terminal Servers
> (Citrix).
> When a screensaver kicks in on those the CPU goes through the roof. So I
> thought maybe I can stop the screensaver to kick in on these 2 servers
> only?
>
> Hi, I am using Windows 2003 AD and the GPMC tool for my Group policy. I am
> just testing the user GP on our IT team. I have enabled screensavers to
> kick
> in after 15 mins and then lock their desktops based on there IT OU user
> group, however this also works for our 2 Terminal Servers (Citrix). When a
> screen saver kicks in on those the CPU goes through the roof. So I thought
> maybe I can stop the screensaver to kick in on these 2 servers only?
>
> Also how can I see which GP will win?
>
> Thanks

> Thanks

OT, but what screensaver are you using that's doing this?
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 2:24:54 AM

Add a GPO with the User Configuration settings for screensaver set to
Disabled (or specify the screen saver executable as scrnsave.scr - gives a
blank screen and doesn't use CPU time) to the OU containing the Terminal
Server's computer accounts and turn on Loopback processing in a GPO that
also applies to the Terminal Servers' computer accounts. The User
Configuration settings applied by loopback processing will take precedence
over those applied to the User's account.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260370 - see Method 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231287/ - loopback processing

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"SW" <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am using Windows 2003 AD and the GPMC tool for my Group policy. I am
> just testing a user GP on our IT teams OU. I have enabled screensavers to
> kick in after 15 mins and then lock their desktops based on their IT OU
> (user
> not computer), however this also works for our 2 Terminal Servers
> (Citrix).
> When a screensaver kicks in on those the CPU goes through the roof. So I
> thought maybe I can stop the screensaver to kick in on these 2 servers
> only?
>
> Hi, I am using Windows 2003 AD and the GPMC tool for my Group policy. I am
> just testing the user GP on our IT team. I have enabled screensavers to
> kick
> in after 15 mins and then lock their desktops based on there IT OU user
> group, however this also works for our 2 Terminal Servers (Citrix). When a
> screen saver kicks in on those the CPU goes through the roof. So I thought
> maybe I can stop the screensaver to kick in on these 2 servers only?
>
> Also how can I see which GP will win?
>
> Thanks

> Thanks

July 25, 2005 1:51:27 PM

Hi,

I think you can simply remove the screensaver from the 2 TS and that should
solve the problem.

br;
Denis