Pentium D930 bottlenecking?

RefleX

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
i built my latest computer about 4 months ago. got what i thought would be plenty of tech to play Counterstrike Source perfectly. which is pretty much the only reason i spent so much. But with everything i have im only getting around 40-60FPS...granted i have the settings up pretty high, but i have people in my clan who have similar setups with 7950GX2 and are getting 200+FPS!!!! Im just wondering if its the D930 thats just not up to the task of Source, or if ive done something terribly wrong... cause its performing like junk. even when i turn down the settings i only get a 15+/- gain in FPS. I have updated all drivers and bios for mobo/grphx card. anyways heres my setup, and let me know if you guys think this is unusually low FPS for my system, or if i just need to get a new proc.

Processor: Pentium D930 Pressler LGA775 (overclocked to 3.6Ghz, stable)
Cooling: ZALMAN AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
MOBO: Asus P5LD2
RAM: OCZ Gold Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)
VideoCard: GIGABYTE GeForce 7950GX2 1GB (512MB x2) GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card

im debating upgrading to a conroe, but im not convinced its going to solve the problem. thanks for any input.

-RefleX

dagoth_ur

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Well, the problem should not be in the procesor because with my P4 @3,95 ghz Im getting a lot more fps in CS:S..mmm..try to do some benchmark like 3Dmark and look if you get results comparable with results you find in the internet

T800-101

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Your processor is not a bottleneck for you really, nothing to worry about anyway. Why not run 3dmark05 and 06 like Dagoth suggested and see how you rate against other comparable rigs? It's a good way to see where you stand in relation.

Kagrenak

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Well you can't really tell the diffrence between 60fps and 200fps. I've heard talk that the human eye can see up to 100fps but i can't even tell the diffrence between 45fps and 100fps. DVDs only play at about 24 fps to 32 fps depending on where you live and what format your TV uses. I doubt that the CPU is the problem. As a matter of fact i don't see anything that would be a problem.

I can tell the difference up to 120FPS, beyond that, not really.

The reason why DVDs seem much better if because they have Blur on them, pause a DVD in the middle of motion scene, like a car chase or something, and you'll see the blur on it.

dagoth_ur

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Well you can't really tell the diffrence between 60fps and 200fps. I've heard talk that the human eye can see up to 100fps but i can't even tell the diffrence between 45fps and 100fps. DVDs only play at about 24 fps to 32 fps depending on where you live and what format your TV uses. I doubt that the CPU is the problem. As a matter of fact i don't see anything that would be a problem.

I can tell the difference up to 120FPS, beyond that, not really.

The reason why DVDs seem much better if because they have Blur on them, pause a DVD in the middle of motion scene, like a car chase or something, and you'll see the blur on it.

Agreed, however, it depends on a game you play and ie in quake3 you can definitely feel the difference between 60 and 120 fps. You dont see it but you feel the slowdown...how to explain...in the movement of your mouse.

RefleX

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
like they said, you can deffinately tell the difference up to about 120FPS, plus since its usually playing around 40-60, when something strenuous happens, like a bomb explosion, my fps drops down as low as the teens! and thats no fun. something is the problem though, i just dont know what. ill run the 3dmark and see i guess. any other suggestions?

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
From experience CS:S is very CPU bound, my old P4 2.6C @ 3.3GHz rig couldn't really handle it very well at all during heavy firefights... :?

Does your board support C2D? It would do wonders for your gaming experience, especially in CS:S.