What defines the DC that policy is recieved from?

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by this? Group Policies are instantly replicated
among DC's so all the DC's should have identical policies. I am not sure if
you mean which DC a user authenticates to.

Cheers,

Lara

"Thor" wrote:

> What defines the DC that policy is recieved from?

Thor

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004

Hi Lara,
Thanks for replying. I am trying to figure out why some pc's
authenticate to our 2k dc instead of our 2k3 dc to figure out if that is why
they don't seem to get the group policy update we are trying to implement.
"lforbes" <lforbes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure what you mean by this? Group Policies are instantly
> replicated
> among DC's so all the DC's should have identical policies. I am not sure
> if
> you mean which DC a user authenticates to.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara
>
> "Thor" wrote:
>
>> What defines the DC that policy is recieved from?

Hi,

Whether they authenticate to the 2K or the 2K3 DC, they should still get the
Group Policy. It doesn't make a difference as long as the DC's are working
correctly.

1> Make sure the 2K DC is working properly. Check the GP's and also the
Event Log. Run ipconfig /flushdns at the command line. Make sure it is
replicating properly by going into AD Sites and doing a manual replication.

2> Go to the machines that are having the problem. Make sure that DNS is
working properly and they are correctly registered with the Correct IP in
DNS. Sometimes if using the DHCP the old IP is still registered by the new
one isn't. Run ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /register dns at the
command line.

3> gpresult may give you a list of the GP's that are applying. You can also
run gpupdate to "refresh" manually.

Cheers,

Lara

PS. Download the latest ADM's from Microsoft for Group Policy and make sure
you copy them into all your DC's C:\Windows\inf directory to make sure they
are all running the current ones.