Can certain webpages be blocked through Group Policy?

Hi, I was wondering if for example hotmail.com could be blocked via a group
policy?

Thanks

Hi,

Group Policy doesn't do internet security. There is a whole other Server for
that - Windows ISA server. However, you may look into a free linux firewall
server or a hardware one. You could block Hotmail's IP on it. ISA is amazing,
but not cheap. I run it in both my networks and it is awesome for "user
access control".

Cheers,

Lara

"SW" wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if for example hotmail.com could be blocked via a group
> policy?
>
> Thanks

Can ISA show what badwidth users are taking up on the internet and what
webpages they have accessed?

"lforbes" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Group Policy doesn't do internet security. There is a whole other Server for
> that - Windows ISA server. However, you may look into a free linux firewall
> server or a hardware one. You could block Hotmail's IP on it. ISA is amazing,
> but not cheap. I run it in both my networks and it is awesome for "user
> access control".
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara
>
> "SW" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I was wondering if for example hotmail.com could be blocked via a group
> > policy?
> >
> > Thanks

Hi,

I am pretty sure it can do the Bandwidth but I haven't done it yet. It
definitely logs everything. However the logs can be quite hefty. I love it
because I can block urls with the * (multi) and you don't need the IP's. I
can also make the users authenticate to the Domain before accessing the
Internet. This has pretty much stopped the Laptop users because they can't
use the internet.

I use it to track usage and also to block sites etc. However, we have a 10GB
line all to ourselves so bandwidth isn't an issue even with 2400 users.

Cheers,

Lara

"SW" wrote:

> Can ISA show what badwidth users are taking up on the internet and what
> webpages they have accessed?
>
> "lforbes" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Group Policy doesn't do internet security. There is a whole other Server for
> > that - Windows ISA server. However, you may look into a free linux firewall
> > server or a hardware one. You could block Hotmail's IP on it. ISA is amazing,
> > but not cheap. I run it in both my networks and it is awesome for "user
> > access control".
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Lara
> >
> > "SW" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I was wondering if for example hotmail.com could be blocked via a group
> > > policy?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Can you block key words? Like rude words and get the page denied?

"lforbes" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am pretty sure it can do the Bandwidth but I haven't done it yet. It
> definitely logs everything. However the logs can be quite hefty. I love it
> because I can block urls with the * (multi) and you don't need the IP's. I
> can also make the users authenticate to the Domain before accessing the
> Internet. This has pretty much stopped the Laptop users because they can't
> use the internet.
>
> I use it to track usage and also to block sites etc. However, we have a 10GB
> line all to ourselves so bandwidth isn't an issue even with 2400 users.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara
>
> "SW" wrote:
>
> > Can ISA show what badwidth users are taking up on the internet and what
> > webpages they have accessed?
> >
> > "lforbes" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Group Policy doesn't do internet security. There is a whole other Server for
> > > that - Windows ISA server. However, you may look into a free linux firewall
> > > server or a hardware one. You could block Hotmail's IP on it. ISA is amazing,
> > > but not cheap. I run it in both my networks and it is awesome for "user
> > > access control".
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Lara

Hi,

That I haven't tried. However, I know you can actually do that in IE alone
(without ISA) with the content advisor. I am not sure if you can set it in
Group Policies at a Domain level but you could write a custom ADM if it isn't
supplied.

Personally I am not too worried about "bad words" and more about the "porn".
We have about 3 levels of filters but some websites still get through so I
block them with ISA.

Cheers,

Lara