App Recommend - GPS with Topo maps

April 28, 2005 2:19:37 PM

Can anyone recommend a good PPC GPS mapping application that uses
topographical maps?

I know of OziExplorer, but the real turnoff with that one is the maps
are scanned i.e bitmaps so when zooming-in you lose detail badly.

I'd really prefer some sort of vector-based maps, even better using the
GIS map standard so that up-to-date governement maps can be used.

Does such an animal exist?

Cheers,
Chris.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:19:38 PM

"ChrisTH" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a good PPC GPS mapping application that uses
> topographical maps?
>
> I know of OziExplorer, but the real turnoff with that one is the maps
> are scanned i.e bitmaps so when zooming-in you lose detail badly.
>
> I'd really prefer some sort of vector-based maps, even better using the
> GIS map standard so that up-to-date governement maps can be used.
>
> Does such an animal exist?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris.

Unfortunately, no. All the "topo" vector data apps
use map data that is FAR inferior in quality to an actual
USGS map.

If you know how to process them properly in your imaging
software (adjust contrast & sharpness) you can get quite
good results with .JPG images of portions of USGS topos,
IF you extract them directly from a "real" topo app like
DeLorme TopoQuads and scale/tile them so you have
all the detail you could possibly want.. If you scan paper
maps, you'll have slightly less quality.

My app of choice for navigating with calibrated images is:

http://gpsdash.com/overview.php

which handles aerial photos from TerraServer as well.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 2:19:38 PM

Have a gander at http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/ look specifically
at Pocket TOPO! It is a bit restricted on which of the map series it uses,
but the National Geographic maps are in fact the USGS maps.

"ChrisTH" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a good PPC GPS mapping application that uses
> topographical maps?
>
> I know of OziExplorer, but the real turnoff with that one is the maps are
> scanned i.e bitmaps so when zooming-in you lose detail badly.
>
> I'd really prefer some sort of vector-based maps, even better using the
> GIS map standard so that up-to-date governement maps can be used.
>
> Does such an animal exist?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris.
April 28, 2005 2:19:38 PM

Also try posting this to the:

sci.geo.satellite-nav

newsgroup.

"ChrisTH" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a good PPC GPS mapping application that uses
> topographical maps?
>
> I know of OziExplorer, but the real turnoff with that one is the maps are
> scanned i.e bitmaps so when zooming-in you lose detail badly.
>
> I'd really prefer some sort of vector-based maps, even better using the
> GIS map standard so that up-to-date governement maps can be used.
>
> Does such an animal exist?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:46:37 PM

V Green wrote:
> "ChrisTH" <x@y.z> wrote in message
>
>>Can anyone recommend a good PPC GPS mapping application that uses
>>topographical maps?
>>
>>I know of OziExplorer, but the real turnoff with that one is the maps
>>are scanned i.e bitmaps so when zooming-in you lose detail badly.
>>
>>I'd really prefer some sort of vector-based maps, even better using the
>>GIS map standard so that up-to-date governement maps can be used.
>>
>>Does such an animal exist?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Chris.
>

> Unfortunately, no. All the "topo" vector data apps
> use map data that is FAR inferior in quality to an actual
> USGS map.
>
> If you know how to process them properly in your imaging
> software (adjust contrast & sharpness) you can get quite
> good results with .JPG images of portions of USGS topos,
> IF you extract them directly from a "real" topo app like
> DeLorme TopoQuads and scale/tile them so you have
> all the detail you could possibly want.. If you scan paper
> maps, you'll have slightly less quality.
>
> My app of choice for navigating with calibrated images is:
>
> http://gpsdash.com/overview.php
>
> which handles aerial photos from TerraServer as well.

Thanks for the info! Looks quite like OziExplorer in some ways - I'll
look into it.

Chris.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:47:56 PM

Sven wrote:
> Have a gander at http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/ look specifically
> at Pocket TOPO! It is a bit restricted on which of the map series it uses,
> but the National Geographic maps are in fact the USGS maps.
>
> "ChrisTH" <x@y.z> wrote in message
>
>>Can anyone recommend a good PPC GPS mapping application that uses
>>topographical maps?
>>
>>I know of OziExplorer, but the real turnoff with that one is the maps are
>>scanned i.e bitmaps so when zooming-in you lose detail badly.
>>
>>I'd really prefer some sort of vector-based maps, even better using the
>>GIS map standard so that up-to-date governement maps can be used.
>>
>>Does such an animal exist?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Chris.

Thanks for the info - looks very US-centric however (I'm in Australia).
The ArcGIS functions I'm really interested in... I'll explore it some more.

Chris.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:40:41 AM

Reply to message from ChrisTH <x@y.z> (Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:19:37) about
""App Recommend - GPS with Topo maps"":

> Can anyone recommend a good PPC GPS mapping application that uses
> topographical maps?

I noticed in another part of the thread that you are interested in
Australia, so this is not a good response for your question. With that
said, OutdoorNavigator might be worth a look otherwise. While similar to
other tagged image programs, the real value is in the downloadable maps
(60,000 free ones), which cover down to 24k topos and some nautical. I plan
on trying it out on a Smoky Mountain hike this weekend (maps downloaded,
ready to go, if weather cooperates), but so far the program looks good.
However, I think Australia is not covered, so count this as extra info for
someone else following this thread with such a need.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:51:49 PM

Quote:

Can anyone recommend a good PPC GPS mapping application that uses
topographical maps?

try teletype www.teletype.com/gps you download maps from the internet or you can buy an additional tool for vectoring your own scanned maps.

The software is GPS enabled.

Hope this helps.