2gig works fine, 4gig not the best on xp

ozzy-crus

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
hello

i have 4gigs of corsair 667mhz memory, when i run 2gigs my pc runs very well, when i add the other 2 gigs to make 4gigs i dosnt run the best crashs alot & my games freeze. is this an XP problem?

E6600 @ 3.0ghz with asus silent square pro cooler

asus - P5N32-E SLI 680i

4 gigs corsair 667 4-4-4-12

have tested both 2 gigs sets of ram.........all good there

Mondoman

Splendid
Not sure what you mean by this. Have you installed all 4 GB, then run memtest86+ through at least a couple of cycles? If that doesn't show any errors, you can then run Orthos under Windows.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Not sure what you mean by this. Have you installed all 4 GB, then run memtest86+ through at least a couple of cycles? If that doesn't show any errors, you can then run Orthos under Windows.

I agree with what he said.

Also, try 3gb of RAM. The maximum that XP can read is 3.25gb.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
hello

i have 4gigs of corsair 667mhz memory, when i run 2gigs my pc runs very well, when i add the other 2 gigs to make 4gigs i dosnt run the best crashs alot & my games freeze.

Hello ozzy-crus,

To make your system run its best, it is vital that you pack up 2 of your 4 gigs of RAM and send them to me. PM for address... :mrgreen:

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
hello

i have 4gigs of corsair 667mhz memory, when i run 2gigs my pc runs very well, when i add the other 2 gigs to make 4gigs i dosnt run the best crashs alot & my games freeze. is this an XP problem?

E6600 @ 3.0ghz with asus silent square pro cooler

asus - P5N32-E SLI 680i

4 gigs corsair 667 4-4-4-12

Make sure the matching dual-channel dimms are in the right slots in the mobo.
Are you sure you have two dual-channel kits?
Check also the settings in the BIOS.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Try loosening your memory timings if possible.
Such as 5-5-5-14.

It is not uncommon for memory issues to increase with more DIMMs.
Usually its not an issue, but it does arise sometimes.

I still recall trying to convince somebody of this issue that had 16! 1meg memory simms in their PC.

Yes, you read that correctly! 16!
No, I have never seen any PC that held that many either.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

I agree with what he said.

Also, try 3gb of RAM. The maximum that XP can read is 3.25gb.

I don't know why people keep saying this, it is a popular misconception.

This is a limitation of a 32-bit architecture. The system can only address 4 GB of allocated memory. Allocated memory is made up of physical RAM, and any I/O space needed by devices. The way memory is allocated is that starting at 4 GB, the system allocated device I/O addresses working its way down. Normally this is not a problem, but when systems have 4 GB of physical memory, the addresses needed to address RAM overlap the space needed for I/O. In this case, the need for I/O space takes precedence, and the amount of RAM visible to the operating system and applications is limited to 4 GB minus I/O space.

For example: If you have a total I/O range of 512 MB needed by all the peripherals, advanced graphics port (AGP) Aperture in the system, you have 3.5 GB shown as usable RAM in Windows.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I didn't say that... I said that 4GB of memory could be addressed

However Windows XP can only assign 2GB of memory per task. So If multitasking super memory intensive apps I'm sure you would see a difference...

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
There would be a couple reasons why 4gb is better than 3gb.

1) You may actually get up to 500mb of additional RAM to use in Windows. Depending on what you are doing this could be a benefit.
My system has 4gb and 3.5 is reported by Windows as available. So the additional GB gets me .5 instead of 1.

(Note: I have heard the reported amount of RAM to drop even below 3gb in some cases.)

2) Your RAM will operate more efficiently in pairs so 4 dimms. will give better memory performance than 3 dimms. Thus even if Windows only reported 3gb of Memory with 4gb installed, your PC may operate faster with having 4gb installed than with just 3gb.

3) Few people actually need more then 2gb with XP. So before splurging on it, make sure you need it.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
3) Few people actually need more then 2gb with XP. So before splurging on it, make sure you need it.

What might you need 4GB for? What type of applications would be that RAM hungry?

Not really sure, but I've seen workstations that you can add 64GB of memory into.

I was messing around on Dell's website and their Preceision Workstation 690 can support 64GB of memory. However the workstation costs like 60 grand, and about 30,000 of that is in memory alone.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You must have heard of VMWare of VirtualPC . . .

No, but I'll check them out.... what are they?

They allow you to run multiple virtual machines on one physical machine. Thus, you can have 16GB of RAM in the machine, and each VM can use a portion of that.

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
What might you need 4GB for? What type of applications would be that RAM hungry?

Not really sure, but I've seen workstations that you can add 64GB of memory into.

I was messing around on Dell's website and their Preceision Workstation 690 can support 64GB of memory. However the workstation costs like 60 grand, and about 30,000 of that is in memory alone.

I cannot think of a need for that much memory on a workstation, unless you are a database developer and have all instances locally.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

I cannot think of a need for that much memory on a workstation, unless you are a database developer and have all instances locally.

bragging rights... lol

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
VMWare is my favorite. . . Very stable. VM 6 Beta is out with a free download last I checked, with native support for Vista.

http://www.vmware.com

Why would you want to run multiple virtual machines though....? Is this for software developers, etc?

etomasula

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I'm one of those crazy IT guys so I swear by it. Instead of having 5 different servers running at home, I just turn on one box. I guess for home use its pretty worthless. Maybe you could run some old DOS games on it. lol.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
But what do you DO with those servers exactly? I don't mean to sound offensive, just want to know what uses there are for this program..... my uncle has a server that he leaves connected to the net 24/7 downloading.... er.... stuff, you know.

etomasula

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
If you must know, I have one server that acts as a router, another that runs Exchange or Sendmail. Also I work with some Web-based Applications, So I use a Domain Controller, Oracle or SQL Database, and then Webserver. I have a Norton Ghost server/Remote Installation Server so that I can install an Operating system over my network without having to go through my mess of a software collection. Its great for Linux too, if you don't have a box to dedicate for Linux. Oh yah and Vista, I don't trust it just yet to put it on any of my boxes, so on a VMWare it sits until M$ gets the whole driver thing straightened out (if ever).

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
If you must know, I have one server that acts as a router, another that runs Exchange or Sendmail. Also I work with some Web-based Applications, So I use a Domain Controller, Oracle or SQL Database, and then Webserver. I have a Norton Ghost server/Remote Installation Server so that I can install an Operating system over my network without having to go through my mess of a software collection. Its great for Linux too, if you don't have a box to dedicate for Linux. Oh yah and Vista, I don't trust it just yet to put it on any of my boxes, so on a VMWare it sits until M$ gets the whole driver thing straightened out (if ever).

Wow.... I understand very little of this but it sounds pretty cool.... a server as a router?!?(brain hurts)..... Might give this VMWare a go because I've been wanting to try linux for a while. Thanks for the info :)