Define User Profile With A Group Policy

We're currently trying to deploy a lab environment which uses a shared
mandatory user profile, but have been unable to work out how to create a
group policy that will setthe profile path of any
user who logs on, to a specified path.

The ideal situation will be that whenever someone signs onto a computer in
the "Lab Computers"
OU, their user profile path is set to a mandatory profile sitting on
\\servername\student$ They do
their thing from there, and when they log off, it cleans up the local copy.

There's a section in group policy to set the TS profile path, but this
appears to have no affect on
anyone logging in directly. If the profile path is manually set on the user
account in active
directory it all works perfectly, but this change wouldn't be restricted to
the Lab OU, and would
become a nightmare to manage for tens of thousands of accounts.

Thankyou,
Christian
3 answers Last reply
More about define user profile group policy

    "" wrote:
    > We're currently trying to deploy a lab environment which uses
    > a shared
    > mandatory user profile, but have been unable to work out how
    > to create a
    > group policy that will setthe profile path of any
    > user who logs on, to a specified path.
    >
    > The ideal situation will be that whenever someone signs onto a
    > computer in
    > the "Lab Computers"
    > OU, their user profile path is set to a mandatory profile
    > sitting on
    > \servernamestudent$ They do
    > their thing from there, and when they log off, it cleans up
    > the local copy.
    >
    > There's a section in group policy to set the TS profile path,
    > but this
    > appears to have no affect on
    > anyone logging in directly. If the profile path is manually
    > set on the user
    > account in active
    > directory it all works perfectly, but this change wouldn't be
    > restricted to
    > the Lab OU, and would
    > become a nightmare to manage for tens of thousands of
    > accounts.
    >
    > Thankyou,
    > Christian

    Hi,

    I am not sure if this is possible. Users Profiles are per user and you
    can only have "one". You might be able to achieve something "similar"
    with Group Policies using Folder Redirection (Desktop, App Data, Start
    Menu etc) as well as Loopback Processing for only the Lab machines you
    want in order to achieve your desired result.

    What is the specific issue you are trying to achieve? I use mandatory
    roaming profiles but the users have them wheverever they go. I have
    only 2400 Users so I have about 6 or 7 custom ones and I change their
    profile in their account depending on what they need access to.

    You can setup machines to automatically delete roaming profiles at
    logoff and not cache any profiles at all. I created a startup script
    that deleted all profiles in the Documents and Settings folder except
    the Administrator, All Users and Default User.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Define-User-Profile-ftopict403522.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1336379

    Some of our users will be logging into lab machines, as well as, say, their
    postgrad research
    machine. If we configure their profile path to be the standard lab mandatory
    profile, when they
    profile again. We
    wanted to avoid lab machine specific changes from being applied anywhere but
    on lab machines.

    We want to get to the point where anyone logging into any lab machine will
    use a standard
    mandatory profile (sitting on a share on one of the lab servers), and the
    local copy made will
    be cleaned up once the user logs out. The cleanup bit is done through a
    group policy already,
    but making sure the user profile path is pointing at the mandatory profile,
    just for lab machines,
    is the part that appears to be impossible.

    Thankyou for your reply,
    Christian Fenn

    "" wrote:
    > Some of our users will be logging into lab machines, as well
    > as, say, their
    > postgrad research
    > machine. If we configure their profile path to be the standard
    > lab mandatory
    > profile, when they
    > given the lab
    > profile again. We
    > wanted to avoid lab machine specific changes from being
    > applied anywhere but
    > on lab machines.
    >
    > We want to get to the point where anyone logging into any lab
    > machine will
    > use a standard
    > mandatory profile (sitting on a share on one of the lab
    > servers), and the
    > local copy made will
    > be cleaned up once the user logs out. The cleanup bit is done
    > through a
    > group policy already,
    > but making sure the user profile path is pointing at the
    > mandatory profile,
    > just for lab machines,
    > is the part that appears to be impossible.
    >
    > Thankyou for your reply,
    > Christian Fenn
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am not sure if this is possible. Users Profiles are per
    > user and you
    > > can only have "one". You might be able to achieve something
    > "similar"
    > > with Group Policies using Folder Redirection (Desktop, App
    > Data, Start
    > > Menu etc) as well as Loopback Processing for only the Lab
    > machines you
    > > want in order to achieve your desired result.
    > >

    > > What is the specific issue you are trying to achieve? I use
    > mandatory
    > > roaming profiles but the users have them wheverever they go.
    > I have
    > > only 2400 Users so I have about 6 or 7 custom ones and I
    > change their
    > > profile in their account depending on what they need access
    > to.
    > >
    > > You can setup machines to automatically delete roaming
    > profiles at
    > > logoff and not cache any profiles at all. I created a
    > startup script
    > > that deleted all profiles in the Documents and Settings
    > folder except
    > > the Administrator, All Users and Default User.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Lara

    Hi,

    It sounds like you need to use the Group Policies instead of the
    Mandatory Profile. As Profiles are per user they can’t be per
    computer unless you do away with roaming all together.

    You can do a lot with Group Policies. In fact almost everything. Using
    the Loopback Mode you can set the policies to only affect the users
    when they log into the Lab Machines.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Define-User-Profile-ftopict403522.html