Help! Office 2003 Install via GPO works on XP Pro but not ..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 3, 2005 2:58:12 PM

I was working at a company running AD 2003 with all XP PRO
workstations. Now I'm at an organization that has AD 2000 with a lot
of 2000 workstations and some XP workstations.

I setup a group policy to assign the installation of office 2003 to
computers. It installs fine on XP workstations but 2000 workstations
get errors in the application log (Event ID 1000 and 108). The install
does not even appear to start. I have checked here and Microsoft's
site for fixes and clues but nothing so far has helped. At first, it
looked like a permissions issue so I changed the share and NTFS
permissions on the software share so that Domain Computers have access
as well as Authenticated Users, thinking that might help but it has
not. I also added the Everyone Group but that did not help either.

The errors are listed below. If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd
appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Greg
-------------
Source: Usernv
Type: Error
EventID 1000
User: NT Authority\System
Computer: COMPUTER8
The Group Policy client-side extension Application Management was
passed flags (1) and returned a failure status code of (5).

Source Application Management
Type: Error
Event ID: 108
User: NT Authority\System
Computer: COMPUTER8
Failed to apply changes to software installation settings. The Active
Directory path could not be updated at the client. The error was
Access is denied. .

August 4, 2005 6:43:21 PM

Hi Greg,

Hope these help you a bit.

Troubleshooting Change and Configuration Management

http://groups.google.com.hk/group/microsoft.public.win2...

br,
Denis