how much air does a standard amd fan push?

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hi all just wondering how much CFM does a dual core amd fan push out
I read on 1 site it pushes
38cfm at 38db
so im basically trying to get something quieter but want to make sure it can push enough air to keep it cool, im not interested in getting massive coolers, the stock one does the job fine for me, I just want it a bit less noisey, i was goiung to go an artic cooling replacement fan but most they push is 28
so id love to chat with someone who knows
Id appreciate it
Cheers 8)

aladar

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2005
The amount of air (CFM - cubic feet per minute) isn't the only variable to watch (in a CPU cooler)...

There are things like thermal resistance that are as much important.

I saw this article that may interest you http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/25/six_coolers_for_amd_processors/

It has performance levels and noise levels...

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hi
I do not know much about cfm, but I know about temperatures. I have a athlon 64x2 4600 socket 939 with a hyper 6+ cooler. My case is a Raidmax smilodon. With the front, rear and cooler fan on temperatures were in the high 30°C. That is not bad and is quiet. When I plugged the side fans temperatures dropped to high 20´s -low 30's which I see as a pretty good improvement. The computer is not noisy, so I recommend to switch, if you like an air cooling solution, to a hyper 6 or tx cooler. You should consider also to include a side fan, that, at least in my case dropped the temperatures considerably. I checked the temps with sisoft sandra 2007.

Hope I helped

8)

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
thanks guys that was a good read,
Ive decided to go a tri cool antec 120mm fan, which at 1200 rpm puts out 39cfm at 17 db which is fantastic,thats half the amount of noise at the moment so its a big drop in noise I am buying an adapter to mate it to the heatsink,
I recon this will be more then enough to keep it cool, also if it gets hot in summer here, take it up to 1700 rpm 50cfm and only 24db
so its an awesome fan, and I have one laying around from my p180 case

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Another advice, check www.frozencpu.com they have a wide variety of air, water, fans, and all the stuff you are lloking. Look for the panaflo specs, they are awesome!!

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
You could replace the fan by getting one of these:
70mm to 80mm Aerodynamic Fan Adaptor - UV Blue

Combined with one of these:
80mm to 120mm Aerodynamic Fan Adaptor - UV Blue
and then one of these:
SilenX 120x120x25mm - 14dBA - 72CFM iXtrema Pro Fan (IXP-74-14)

With those parts combined you will get WAY more airflow and less noise. Plus using a shroud will allow the air to hit the heatsink more evenly and therefore cool it much better. Or you could a Scythe Ninja, a Zalman 9700, or something similar and have very good air cooling. But the decision is your to make.

-ouch1

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
You could replace the fan by getting one of these:
70mm to 80mm Aerodynamic Fan Adaptor - UV Blue

Combined with one of these:
80mm to 120mm Aerodynamic Fan Adaptor - UV Blue
and then one of these:
SilenX 120x120x25mm - 14dBA - 72CFM iXtrema Pro Fan (IXP-74-14)

With those parts combined you will get WAY more airflow and less noise. Plus using a shroud will allow the air to hit the heatsink more evenly and therefore cool it much better. Or you could a Scythe Ninja, a Zalman 9700, or something similar and have very good air cooling. But the decision is your to make.

-ouch1

thanks ouch, it was lucky you posted as I order a 80mm to a 120mm as I thought it would fit after your post i measured the heatsink and sure enough its only 70mm , so I reorded a 70mm to 120mm so thanks alot for telling me