FX-74, Keep or sell?

I was doing some work for someone that has some connections and was given 2 FX-74's and the Asus Motherboard, both new.

I have read all the reviews for the chip and it seems it's performance is only okay and takes way too much power.

Should I keep it or sell it? If sell it, how much is reasonable?
32 answers Last reply
More about sell
  1. Sell it to me for $50!

Seriously It depends if you need it or not? you can probably sell that for around $800 - 1000.... IF anyone would buy it is the question.
  2. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You've got the start to a beautiful machine. Add in an 8800 gtx some speedy ram and I don't think you'd have any complaints at all.
  3. keep one fx74 and sell the other to pay for parts like the 8800gtx and 2 gigs of ram. You are already on a good start with a fast processor and a motherboard. Pull some old parts out of your old computer like the harddrive and the cdrom drive, you probly dont need a new monitor, keyboard etc. So all you really need is ram, a video card, and a bigger power supply and you are golden for a while
  4. Um FX 7X chips dont work by themselves you have to have both of them.
  5. I'd definately keep it. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the perfomance is only ok" because there's really nothing that can beat it. The Intel QX6700 quad core (I think that's the name of it) probably can out perform it, but not much else.
  6. Quote:
    Um FX 7X chips dont work by themselves you have to have both of them.

Is that true?

Thank you for the reply guys. I just wanted to make sure before I decided to go to the next step. I am probably going to buy just an okay GFX card until I at least see R600 numbers.
  7. I'd love to have that kind of connections lol...

What I would: try to sell it, one cpu or all combo, maybe you will find someone who want it, maybe not, if all is sold, buy a new big monitor or upgrade a bit the pc if necessary...

Or as they said, keep one and use the money from the other to buy a new vid card....

It will depend on what PC you have right now...
  8. keep it.
  9. Well I would just suggest that unless you want to have a very nice system or need one just sell the stuff.

I guess what im saying is if you need something else right now like say pay rent, sell it. But if you dont need anything and you want to invest in some more hardware keep it and build yourself a nice system.
  10. Though I wouldn't go out and buy such a setup, if it was given to me, I'd keep it and buy the neccesary ram, psu, etc. to make it into a good machine. Its "only ok", if "only ok" means that it only performs not as good as Intel's E6700, EX6800 or QX6700. Even more, if you want to upgrade, you could put in the Agena cpus due out later this year. Tom's did an article on it a while. Look under the cpu section and read it.

But be honest. It may not be as good as Intel's top end cpus, but free is free, and the price/performance ratio can't get any better than that.
  11. The QuadFX lineup is an amazing competitor with the Conroe lineup. Some people forget that the QuadFX is a 90nm architecture, so comparing a 90nm to a 65nm is like comparing a Ferrari to a pickup truck in terms of acceleration. I would keep it or sell the parts and wait for K8L and the R600. :D
  12. Keep it... no sell it... damn this is a hard one. :?
  13. Quote:
    Keep it... no sell it... damn this is a hard one. :?

Maybe think of it this way, if someone gave you a new Viper, would you get rid of it just because it wasn't as fast as a Ferrari? Or perhaps a different phrase that comes to my mind: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". Worst comes to worst, the ram, psu, etc could be used on a different computer.
  14. He could sell it and use the proceeds towards fighting AIDS... right?
  15. Or birth control. :P
  16. Not a big fan of quadfx in its current form(still thinks its a good concept, just bad execution) but hell yeah, id keep it. Since you got it free, thats more money to get the other stuff psu, memory, video card(s).
  17. Unless you already happen to own a Core 2 Quad system.....KEEP IT!!!
  18. Quote:
    He could sell it and use the proceeds towards fighting AIDS... right?

That would be nice, ive been donating to fighting aids,and hunger. Im buying a red motorazr because sprint donates money to fight aids for everyone sold. Ive also been doing food drives with my old church(i dont go to church, i believe in god, not necessarily church, lots of hypocrites in church)
  19. Sell the lot and get a Core2 qx6700 and mobo. Just an opinion...
  20. ...i wish i had connections...but other than that, i would keep it
  21. unless you absolutely need the money, keep it. I'd keep a BMW if it was given to me, and I didn't need the money.
  22. I want everyone to know, this wasn't free. It was trade for work. Don't get me wrong, i did about $900 worth of work and this was offered as compensation.
  23. Quote:
    He could sell it and use the proceeds towards fighting AIDS... right?

Yeah, he could, or he could donate the money to fight MS, which disease I have. Always lots of things that could be done.
  24. Well that depends; can you get an Intel Core 2 QX6700 with a 680i motherboard with the money you'd make off the FX74s and the motherboard? If not, keep the chips and you'll still have a wicked gaming system.
  25. Quote:
    I want everyone to know, this wasn't free. It was trade for work. Don't get me wrong, i did about $900 worth of work and this was offered as compensation.

Ok then, it wasn't free and now it represents about $900 worth of work. That means you can go ahead and use this $900 worth of work or try to sell it for about $400-$500 used. And that's the way most people will look at it. They won't care if its still in its celephane package, they'll look at it as used.

Its really your decission in the end, but as Heyyou wrote, if you keep and use it, you''ll have a faster machine than over 90% of the people out there. And of course, when new cpus come out, you can upgrade to them if you want. But its all up to you and not to any of use.
  26. I say keep it!
  27. Quote:
    Or birth control. :P

Why would you fight birth control?

Back to the CPUs...I'd keep them. As far as gaming goes, there isn't that much difference between Intel and AMD's quad-cores. Therefore, you'd only get hassle in trying to sell the FX-74s and getting Intel's, and not really save any money for no discernible performance.

Just get some nice complementary parts, build the system, and settle down with some sweet frame rates.
  28. Quote:
    The QuadFX lineup is an amazing competitor with the Conroe lineup. Some people forget that the QuadFX is a 90nm architecture, so comparing a 90nm to a 65nm is like comparing a Ferrari to a pickup truck in terms of acceleration. I would keep it or sell the parts and wait for K8L and the R600. :D

that dosnt matter though, its about performance now. if they cant perform now then u shoudlnt buy it, and considering he already has it, im saying keep it as well.
  29. Quote:
    Why would you fight birth control?

I ment use the money for it. lol :P Not stop it.
  30. Sailer , they are brand new still in the Box.
  31. Like he sais though, it doesn't really matter that they're brand new still in the box. If someone wanted to buy them new they could go to an Etailer. Either way you'd have to mark them down pretty far before someone would buy them over a new set. And I'm sure the work you did was of more value than what you could get selling them.

Settle in, build the system and enjoy. Just because they won't beat out 2 or 3 systems doesnt change the fact they are screaming fast processors and a new chipset which will allow you to upgrade easily later on.
  32. Quote:
    Sailer , they are brand new still in the Box.

Exactly as Latta said. Try thinking of it this way: If I were a purchaser, the only way I'd pay a high price is from a store or from Newegg or something similar. That way, if something didn't work, I could RMA it for a new one. If I buy from a private person and something goes wrong, I'm pretty much SOL. Therefore, I'm not going to be willing to pay very much.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards Overclocking Product