Why does copied profile and group policy not apply to new ..

Have 2000 Server with a single group policy for all users. The profile and
group policy applies correctly to existing users. When I follow MS
directions to copy a profile to a new user (Set up new user, set profile
path, Control Panel/System/User Profiles, copy to... and change), the profile
does not take nor does the group policy. Any ideas?

Umm - what "MS directions" are you referring to?

If I know where you are finding these "directions" that you are following, I
might be able to help you out better.
--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"Jerry A" <JerryA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have 2000 Server with a single group policy for all users. The profile
> and
> group policy applies correctly to existing users. When I follow MS
> directions to copy a profile to a new user (Set up new user, set profile
> path, Control Panel/System/User Profiles, copy to... and change), the
> profile
> does not take nor does the group policy. Any ideas?

To copy a user profile
Open System in Control Panel.
On the Advanced tab, under User Profiles, click Settings.
Under Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to
copy, and then click Copy To.
Do one or more of the following:
To specify where the new profile will be saved

In Copy profile to, type the location for the new profile, or click Browse
to select the path.
To specify who is permitted to use the copied profile

In Permitted to use, click Change.
In the Select User or Group dialog box, in Enter the object name to select,
add the user, group, or built-in security principle or click Object Types to
select an object type.
To specify a domain to search, in the Select User or Group dialog box, click
Locations, and then select the domain.

To further narrow your search, in the Select User or Group dialog box, click
Advanced.

Click OK
Notes

XOX
XOX
XOX
You cannot copy or delete a user profile that belongs to the currently
logged on user or any user whose profile is in use.
If you copy the profile to a new location, you must update the User Profile
Path entry for the user's account to refer to this new location as well.
You cannot use Windows Explorer or any other file management utility to copy
user profiles.
You can issue a network default user profile for all new users in the
domain. For more information about creating a preconfigured user profile, see
Related Topics.

"Jerry A" wrote:

> Have 2000 Server with a single group policy for all users. The profile and
> group policy applies correctly to existing users. When I follow MS
> directions to copy a profile to a new user (Set up new user, set profile
> path, Control Panel/System/User Profiles, copy to... and change), the profile
> does not take nor does the group policy. Any ideas?

User Profiles and Group Policies are essentially unrelated things, so they
need seperate explanations.

User Profiles are sets of folders that are associated with particular user
accounts. If the user has never logged on at a computer, they don't have a
profile on that computer. If you copy an existing user profile to a folder
that does not exist (e.g. a "new" user name), no user is associated with
that profile. When a user logs on for the first time, a brand new profile
will be created based on the "Default User" profile and associated with that
particular user's account.

There is not much point in pre-creating a user profile for a user that has
not yet logged on.

Keep in mind that a domain user account is completely unrelated to a local
user account with the same name; these are completely separte and distinct
entities and will get different user profile folders.

The usual way to give a new user an appropriate base profile is:

a. logon with a local user account,
b. configure the desktop, Start Menu or whatever the way you want,
c. logoff
d. logon with an administrators account
e. copy the just updated user's profile to the Documents and
Settings\Default User folder, setting the Permitted to use to Everyone

Then, when a user logs on for the very first time, they will get a profile
with the settings you put into the Default User profile.

Or you can use Mandatory User Profiles (never done this, but some others use
them).

User Configuration settings in a GPO are applied to users whose user
accounts are in the OU to which the GPO is linked.

Computer Configuration settings in a GPO are applied to the computers whose
computer accounts are in the OU to which the GPO is linked.

Use the GPMC Resultant Set of Policies tool or the gpresult command to
determine which GPOs and settings are being applied to which computers and
which users.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"Jerry A" <JerryA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have 2000 Server with a single group policy for all users. The profile
> and
> group policy applies correctly to existing users. When I follow MS
> directions to copy a profile to a new user (Set up new user, set profile
> path, Control Panel/System/User Profiles, copy to... and change), the
> profile
> does not take nor does the group policy. Any ideas?

TRENDING THREADS