Sign in with
Your question

Need some help with SATAII Drive

Last response: in Storage
January 31, 2007 2:01:49 PM

I just bought a 250GB Western Digital hard drive, Model WD2500KS, and I can't get windows to boot from it. At first I installed it and booted from my IDE drive, then ran the DataLifeguard software from within windows. It set up my system to recognize hard drives over 132GB, restarted, then I copied my entire boot drive (IDE) to the new SATA drive. I unplugged both IDE drives, and tried to boot from the new SATA drive, but it would not do it. I plugged my IDE drives back in, with the SATA drive still plugged in, and it would not boot at all. I unplugged the IDE drives and installed windows xp pro from scratch on the SATA drive, but it still won't load the OS. What do I need to do to get this drive to boot? I have looked around my bios but can't find anything to tell the system to boot from the first SATA. My system specs should be in my sig. My bios version is version 1009, the newest, and I reinstalled it anyway. Sorry if this is a repeat problem.

Edit:
I don't think that my sig is working yet, so
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Athlon 64 4000+
eVGA 7900GS

More about : sataii drive

January 31, 2007 10:16:21 PM

First, there has to be somewhere in the BIOS to set the boot order. If there is no Boot section, it's likely in the Advanced setting some where around the Advance settings. Also check the mobo manual either the one came on with the mobo or online. I just got an ASUS K8N SLI and I had to make sure that the hdd with Windows was attached the the SATA 1 connection, as in the first SATA connection on the mobo. If you haven't done so, read the entire mobo manual on BIOS settings as well as hdd installation
January 31, 2007 11:01:14 PM

The hd is plugged in to the first sata connector. In the bios the boot device priority is hd first, then cd and removable, so that is correct. Is there supposed to be a jumper set on the drive itself? I have SSC, PM2, OPT1, OPT2, none are jumpered. I have gone through the manual book that came with the mobo and the pdf that I downloaded, and neither helped. I do not need to set up any type of RAID, and I just read that it should be jumpered for SSC, but now with or without the jumper the drive just softly clicks. Is this drive bad? Thanks.
Related resources
January 31, 2007 11:40:23 PM

Quote:
In the bios the boot device priority is hd first, then cd and removable, so that is correct.

Yes, it says "Hard Drive" as first, but which Hard drive. In my bios, (an Intel board) you can select which Hard drive to boot from. So it's not so much as the boot order, but the boot drive.

Try that. If that fails, then maybe your board doesn't reconize SATA drives during POST. (just a suggestion, sounds like it does.)
January 31, 2007 11:46:01 PM

Well, the only options in the boot device priority are hard drive (does not specify which), CD-ROM, Removable, and LAN. Maybe somewhere else in the BIOS there is some way to tell it to boot off of SATA 1. I'll have to read through the manual again. I also heard and read about changing controllers, like the PATA and SATA controllers. I am not sure what this means or how to do this, so if anyone has info on this I would appreciate it.
February 1, 2007 10:40:54 AM

If you were able to install Windows on the SATA drive, it means the machine is recognizing the drive. Try unplugging the power cable all your other drives. If that doesn't work, PM me later to remind me to check my BIOS settings, I have the same mobo but in a different computer than the one I'm currently on. I'm lucky to remember my name sometimes, which is why I need the reminder. :D  I have my OS on the a SATA II have had no problems. When you say you did a fresh install, did you do the regular rather than the quick format before the installation? Did you create any of the RAID disks that came with the mobo and install them? Double check the power and data cables on the SATA, they could have loosened up. Also, there are 2 sets of SATA connections on the mobo, one for RAID and one fo non RAID, make sure that the hdd is connected to the non RAID connector, I think they are the set on the right and are orange.
a c 329 G Storage
February 1, 2007 12:42:09 PM

Couple ideas:
1. You say you "copied" the entire drive over and that did not work, and eventually you did a fresh install on the new SATA. But did you ever explicitly set the new SATA to be a bootable drive?The first stage of getting a drive set up is to partition it, and you obviously did that. But during that process you have the option of setting the drive to be a boot drive, or not. This sets a flag in the Master Boot Block of the drive so that the BIOS knows where to start from. If the flag isn't set, the BIOS will go looking elsewhere for a boot drive. AFTER partitioning you do a format operation and write stuff to the drive. During formatting you also have the option the make the drive bootable. This just means that two (or more) critical hidden files get written to the very beginning of the drive where the boot loader can find them. Obviously you have done these steps, but if the MBB flag was not set at partitioning time, the BIOS may not even look for the boot loader and other stuff on this drive.

2. On my system (different from yours) in the Boot Sequence part of the BIOS it will show only the devices available. So, for example, when you had only your SATA drive connected, you would only have one HDD to choose - no choice! But after you re-connected your older IDE drive(s), the BIOS should have shown you several to choose from, and you have to set it to the right one.
February 1, 2007 12:59:18 PM

Very good info, thanks. I used the DataLifeguard tools to copy the entire old drive to the sata drive, and it did not boot. So I wrote a new MBR using the windows xp install disk and that did not do it. I will write a new MBR on this new install, as well as the other thing that can be done (I forgot what it is called right now) and see if that fixes it. Also I will plug in my old pata drives with the sata and see if I get options for which drive to boot from. Thanks.
February 1, 2007 1:12:21 PM

I have that same exact hard drive and installed window with no problems. One thing also to check is to see if your controller is SATA I or SATA II. If it is only a SATA I controller, see if you can get a BIOS update that will give you the better transfer ( my intel board had an update that also updated the controller ). If you can only use the controller as a SATA I controller then you need to make sure and put the jumper on the hard drive as a 150Mb transfer only. This will force the HDD to be a SATA I drive which it is NOT. This drive is a SATA II 300Mb transfer.
Hope this helps........................because this drive is awesome. I was able to partition the drive with and 80GB and formatted the whole partition (not quick format ) in only 15 minutes.
Good Luck!
February 1, 2007 2:16:23 PM

The controller is SATA II. One thing that I found in the manual is the access mode. Should this be set on 'auto' or 'large'?
a c 329 G Storage
February 1, 2007 5:04:33 PM

Probably set "Auto", but check the controller manual. I believe in mine it says that setting this to "Large" forces it to assume the HDD and OS are set to support large (i.e., over 137 GB) drives with the LBA48 protocol. Setting "Auto" means it will check and do that provided the support is there AND provided that the HDD was partitioned in a system that supports LBA48 - aparently there is info written to the disk about that. If the BIOS finds it cannot rely on LBA48 for large drive suport, then it is allowed under "Auto" to fall back to the lesser option.
February 2, 2007 3:25:28 AM

You're right - 'auto' is the one to use. 'Large' crashed the system right after boot. I am sitting right now looking through the BIOS, and the drive shows up along with my other two eide drives. Under the 'Boot' menu I have these sub-menu choices:

Boot Device Priority
Removable Drives
Hard Disk Drives
CDROM Drives
Boot Settings Configuration
Security

In the 'Boot Device Priority' sub-menu I have 'Hard Disk' as number one, then CDROM and removable. There is no way here to select which hard disk to boot from.

In 'Hard Disk Drives' sub-menu there it has all three drives listed, with the 1st SATA-M drive being third. I moved it to the first place.

There is nothing in 'Removable Drives', 'CDROM Drives', 'Boot Settings Configuration', or 'Security' about hard drives. At the main menu all the drives attached to the system are listed, an when I select the sata drive (described as the First SATA Master) the only options I can choose are 'Extended IDE Drive' Auto/None, and 'Access Mode' Auto/Large.

Hope this gives some information about what I have setup as of now. The BIOS is Phoenix - AwardBIOS version 1009. I have no idea why I can't boot from my new drive. I save and exit the BIOS and when the system tries to load an OS it says 'Error loading operating system'. Nothing else is happens after that, just a blinking cursor after the line of text. Any more assistance would be great.
February 2, 2007 12:29:19 PM

As I said, I have the same board and my BIOS is set the same as you have yours. Plus under Advance NVRAID Configuration is set to Diasabled, Onboard Device Configuration Silicon SATA Controller is set to Enabled, under SLI Configuraiton EZ-Plug Warning is Enabled, SLI Braodcastr Apperture is Disabled and A1-Selector is set to Automatic. My OS is on a SATA II connected to the SATA 1 on the mobo and have not had any problems getting into Windows. If the BIOS settings are identical, it really sounds like either the Windows installation is corrupt or a problem with the hdd. I would unplug all the other hdd while working on the problem? Did you install any of the RAD drivers on the ASUS CD? I didn't.
February 2, 2007 1:28:16 PM

Nope, no raid drivers. Did not need them since there is only one drive I want to use. I will try reinstalling XP on it and see if it boots. If not then I would have to assume the drive itself is bad. But that does not make sense because the XP installation recognizes and installs onto it.

g-paw, what color sata connector do you have the drive plugged into, black or red. On mine there are four black and four red sata connectors, and I have my drive plugged in to the first black sata. The black ones I believe to be the NV ones. The red ones are Silicon Image. I have not tried a red one.
February 2, 2007 2:53:18 PM

Quote:
Nope, no raid drivers. Did not need them since there is only one drive I want to use. I will try reinstalling XP on it and see if it boots. If not then I would have to assume the drive itself is bad. But that does not make sense because the XP installation recognizes and installs onto it.

g-paw, what color sata connector do you have the drive plugged into, black or red. On mine there are four black and four red sata connectors, and I have my drive plugged in to the first black sata. The black ones I believe to be the NV ones. The red ones are Silicon Image. I have not tried a red one.

I have them plugged into the Black ones. The drive with the OS is plugged into the top right Black one, the second drive is connected to the lower right, and the 3rd to the lower left. In the BIOS it shows SATA 1, SATA 2, and SATA 3 drives with SATA 1 having the OS. Have you tried setting up, i.e., is formatting, the disk with Data Lifeguard from a Floppy with only the drive in question attached? I would give this a shot before doing a fresh Windows install. I've had to do this in the past when I've had similar problems.
February 2, 2007 3:14:07 PM

All right, I just downloaded the Data Lifeguard software for dos floppy. I will use it when I get home tonight. Should I leave my original hard drive installed so I can copy it to the new drive, or should I just have the new sata drive in and use the 'setup your hard drive' option. What does it do with the 'setup your hard drive' option?
February 2, 2007 4:24:45 PM

I would just have the hard drive you will install Windows on in the machine. It will format the drive and wipe everything out that's on the drive. After I do this and start to install Windows I do a full not quick format when asked. Granted your formatting twice but it seems to work.
February 2, 2007 4:56:58 PM

OK, thanks for the help. I'll post back tonight when I get it done.
February 2, 2007 5:24:47 PM

I apologize in advance if I missed something in my quick glance through the previous posts, but it sounds like you copied your Windows partition from a previous install/system to a new system and then expected it to just boot. While it is possible to move your XP install to a new system, you can not expect Windows to boot/work without "fixing it" first.

If you have not already done so, try booting from your Win XP install disk and doing a repair install of windows to the SATA drive. This should redetect your hardware and replace all the relevant windows drivers. Your windows configuration should be preserved, but you will have to reinstall all of the XP fixes.

Edit: Here's a link that may (or may not :oops: ) help. How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

BTW, your Win XP install CD includes SP2, doesn't it? (You definitely want to have SP2 on the Win XP install CD).

-john, the ostensibly clueless redundant legacy dinosaur
February 2, 2007 5:27:12 PM

If you do an install with a mixed set of drives, ie. SATA & IDE windows will write boot info to the IDE drive even if you choose the SATA drive to install to. You need to have only SATA drives connected at the time of install, or else when you disable the IDE drive the system won't boot. I picked this up somewhere years ago when I first switched to SATA & added 1 drive to my IDE's. Give it a shot without the IDE drive for the install & you should be good.
February 3, 2007 2:48:46 AM

I did the clean install without the ide drives installed and it would not boot. Right now I do not need to copy my ide boot drive to my new drive. I just don't need to now. I have a clean install on the drive, therefore the windows install saw the drive and let the os to be installed on it. I made an sata raid driver disk for the NV raid, and hit f6 during the startup of the windows install. I wanted to see if this would solve my problem. When the screen came up for the drivers, it said that "setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in the system, or you have chosen to manually specify an adapter". When I hit 's' to specify, and then 'enter' to check the floppy drive this error came up: "File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\setup\oemdisk.c. Press any key to continue." It then goes back to the page where I can specify an adapter. I have tried this twice now and the same thing happens. Any thoughts?

I tried the WD Data Lifeguard Dos program, but this error comes up: "Cannot load dos! Any key to retry". I press any key and the system restarts. Whats happening here?

I used the recovery console to 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' and both did not help.

And yes, my windows xp pro install disk has SP2 built in. Also I ran CHKDSK and it said that the volume appears to be in good condition. I added the /p and it said that it found one or more errors. Right now I am going to do another clean install. Its got to be either one of those super easy simple problems, or the drive is somehow phisically bad. Any more ideas would be great.

Edit: The new install did not work. "Error loading operating system."
February 3, 2007 11:44:39 AM

Googled "Cannot load dos! Any key to retry" The most often sited reason for this was a bad diskette and advised formating a new one and in this case recreating Data Lifeguard on it. The other thing mentioned was a memory problem. The first link is to a load of DOS messages. About half way down check out "Cannot load command, system halted". In the second link the person was experiencing a similar problem to what you are and it was the memory.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?art...
http://www.castlecops.com/t163113-Unable_to_boot_withou...

What's interesting about all this for me is that one of my grandkids was doing a defrag when the electricity went out. Had her run the Set Up using Data Lifeguard from in DOS and she was then able to install the OS. Trying different RAM might be worth a try, at least better than fine tuning with a hammer, which I would be thinking about at this time if this were happening to me. :) 
February 3, 2007 7:13:51 PM

Well, the RAM is brand new, two sticks of 512MB Corsair ValuSelect. I ran Memtest86 about 2 weeks ago because of video gaming problems, and it checked out fine. Also I remade the Data Lifeguard dos disk twice and it said the same thing. I'll try downloading the disk making program again and try a different disk. Yeah, this is kind of getting ridiculous, I'm thinking it might be better to RMA the drive back to newegg for another one. I'll try another Data Lifeguard disk and see if that helps. I have other computers around me that I need to fix and set up, so I have been juggling between them. Thanks for the help, though. I'll post again later.
February 3, 2007 7:40:42 PM

Try to get your hands on a Copy of Norton's Ghost, either floppy or CD bootable, you'll not need anything else.
February 9, 2007 1:10:36 PM

Sorry for the long absence. I finally got back to my computer; I have been using it with just the two IDE drives and have not been working on the SATA drive. I downloaded and burned the WD Data Lifeguard V. 11.2 for DOS CD iso and booted from it.

First I set the drive up, making one 70GB partition, one 80GB partition, and one 100GB partition.

I then installed windows xp on to the 70GB partition and it did it without any problems. But when I tried to boot from the drive it came up with ‘Error loading operating system’.

I then plugged in my two IDE drives, and ran the WD Data Lifeguard cd again, but this time I copied the data from my main IDE drive to the 70GB partition.

Then I powered off and unplugged the two IDE drives, and tried to boot from the SATA. It did not do it, same error as before. I booted the xp install disk and did fixboot, but it did not help.

I then plugged in my two IDE drives, keeping the SATA plugged in also, and powered on. Windows started. I logged in, and found that the C: drive was my main IDE, D: was my second IDE, and the rest were the partitions on the SATA drive. I checked the SATA drive and found that it did have the data that is on my main IDE drive, but I just won’t boot.

Is there anything else that I can do that I am missing? I think that if I need to RMA this drive back to newegg I am going to have to do it soon, but I really don’t want to. Anyone have any more suggestions? I am getting desperate now.
February 9, 2007 1:37:00 PM

When you ran Data Lifeguard did you set up the disk for an OS? I just installed a new Seagate and when I ran the Seagate program that was basically the functional equivalent of Data Lifeguard that was one of the options. I know you said you ran a memtest and everything showed it was OK. Have you tried starting with just one stick of memory? Afraid I'm out of suggestions. :(  If no one has a any other ideas, doing an RMA may be you you best best.
February 9, 2007 1:39:11 PM

Quote:

If the controller is RAID -capable, even if you haven't defined a RAID set, you'll still need the RAID driver. I think you can install the RAID driver in Windows, then copy the partition to the new drive using the special software for that purpose, then rearrange the drives and boot order and it may work.

-Brad
February 9, 2007 4:03:07 PM

Quote:
Is there anything else that I can do that I am missing? I think that if I need to RMA this drive back to newegg I am going to have to do it soon, but I really don’t want to. Anyone have any more suggestions? I am getting desperate now.

I don't have any suggestions at the moment, but I also don't think there is anything wrong with your SATA drive. The fact that you can boot Windows from it when the IDE drive is installed makes it seem very unlikely that there is any hardware problem with your SATA drive. This sounds a lot more like a like either a BIOS configuration or software installation error.

But to make sure you should download the WD diagnostics diskette or CD, boot from it, and run the full diagnostics on the drive. (This is a different utility from DataLifeGuard ... though maybe you can create the diskette from within DataLifeGuard ... I don't remember). That will take a while to complete but it is the best way to determine the health of the hardware.

I'll try to download your motherboards user manual and glance through it. Maybe something will catch my eye.

February 9, 2007 4:12:39 PM

Quote:
I then installed windows xp on to the 70GB partition and it did it without any problems. But when I tried to boot from the drive it came up with ‘Error loading operating system’.

When you install XP by booting from the install CD there are at least two times that the install process will reboot the system. As I recall the install process, first you boot from the CD, answer some questions, and then a bunch of files are copied to the hard drive. After this file copy from the CD completes the computer re-boots and continues the install by detecting devices and setting up the configuration. After this install setup completes the system is again rebooted.

Did you get the ‘Error loading operating system’ message after the first boot (after the files are copied from CD) or after the second (after the install completes)?

BTW, does your XP install CD include Service Pack 2 (SP2)?

February 9, 2007 4:13:30 PM

Thanks for the help. Just to correct something I did not get the computer to boot from the SATA drive, only the master IDE drive, and the partitions on the SATA drive showed up once windows loaded. I sent in an RMA request with newegg, but I have 14 days before the number is canceled. I will run the diagnostic program, but I think that you are right - there can't be something physically wrong with the drive because it showed up in windows and I could access it. I has to be some setting that I am missing.
February 9, 2007 4:34:32 PM

Quote:
In the bios the boot device priority is hd first, then cd and removable, so that is correct.

Yes, it says "Hard Drive" as first, but which Hard drive.
Well, the only options in the boot device priority are hard drive (does not specify which), CD-ROM, Removable, and LAN.
I downloaded a copy of an owner's manual for your A8N-SLI Premium from Asus. Don't know if what is in the manual will match your BIOS, but figured it was worth a short.

In the manual I downloaded there is a "tab" named "Boot". On this Boot page there are supposedly the following entries:
> Boot Device Priority
> Removable Drives
> Hard Disk Drives
> CDROM Drives
> Boot Settings Configuration
> Security

Is one of the IDE drives listed under the "Hard Disk Drives" section? If so, can you change this entry to point to your SATA drive instead?

February 9, 2007 4:48:31 PM

I am not home right now, but I have been in my BIOS many times now. In the Hard Drives section of the boot menu, when all drives are plugged in and powered on, they all show up. You can move them in the list, and I moved the SATA drive to the top of the list. This did nothing and it still would not boot.
February 9, 2007 4:58:13 PM

Quote:

When you install XP by booting from the install CD there are at least two times that the install process will reboot the system. As I recall the install process, first you boot from the CD, answer some questions, and then a bunch of files are copied to the hard drive. After this file copy from the CD completes the computer re-boots and continues the install by detecting devices and setting up the configuration. After this install setup completes the system is again rebooted.

Did you get the ‘Error loading operating system’ message after the first boot (after the files are copied from CD) or after the second (after the install completes)?

BTW, does your XP install CD include Service Pack 2 (SP2)?

Sorry, I missed this post. Yes, it came up with that error after the first reboot. And yes, the install disk has SP2.
February 9, 2007 5:40:00 PM

Kill all partitions on the SATA, do not install the any software from DLG. Remove all drives from the system other than the SATA and the CD. Install as usual. Windows will creat the partition and format, let it.
February 9, 2007 5:41:01 PM

Quote:
In the Hard Drives section of the boot menu, when all drives are plugged in and powered on, they all show up. You can move them in the list, and I moved the SATA drive to the top of the list. This did nothing and it still would not boot.

Well, I've pretty much got nothin' at this point. :( 

If it were me, I'd try the following just to see what happens. But that's just me ...

First, I'd create the Western Digital diagnostics diskette. Then I'd disconnect the IDE drives again just to make sure I didn't stomp on any of the data on them. Then I'd run the full diagnostic (looooooong) scan against the SATA drive. If it tested OK, I'd run the utility on the diag disk which zeros out the first and last million (or something like that) sectors on the drive.

(Do not zero the entire drive! That would take forever! A million sectors is less than 500MB so it should only take a couple of minutes to complete. This is just a quick way to clear the MBR ... with extreme prejudice as the phrase goes ... and whatever boot prog it points to).

After that completed I'd try one last clean install by booting from the Win XP CD. It shouldn't take longer than coming to that first reboot after the file copy to know whether you're getting anywhere or not. If you're up for it, choose to create the 70GB (say 72,000MB) partition yourself rather than letting Windows do it. Make it a primary partition rather than a logical partition. (This actually shouldn't matter ... but what the heck. At this point I'm ready to grasp at straws).

February 9, 2007 5:42:02 PM

Quote:
Kill all partitions on the SATA, do not install the any software from DLG. Remove all drives from the system other than the SATA and the CD. Install as usual. Windows will creat the partition and format, let it.

I have already done this, twice. Still won't boot.
February 9, 2007 5:45:00 PM

OK, I'll do the diagnostic on the drive. Don't these drives have some kind of firmware in them? If so is it possible that it is somehow corrupted?
February 9, 2007 5:55:53 PM

Quote:
OK, I'll do the diagnostic on the drive. Don't these drives have some kind of firmware in them? If so is it possible that it is somehow corrupted?

Yes, they have firmware but it's extremely unlikely that the firmware would be corrupted but the drive would still function in any way.

If the drive passes the long diag scan ... and I'm betting it will ... try the "short" zeroing it out utility and the reinstall. Deleting the partitions won't clear the MBR and the boot program. Rewriting the MBR ... which you said you did ... should do this, but maybe something went wrong?

If you zero out the drive it removes all doubt about whether the MBR is being rebuilt as part of the install. That's all I'm thinking here.

BTW, I assume you've tried a different SATA cable already, right? (Just clutching at another straw ... anyway if the SATA cable is bad that should get detected in some way by the diag scan, wouldn't it?)

February 9, 2007 6:07:19 PM

I have not tried another cable, so I will do that. Also, I am using the SATA power connector from my power supply, but I can also use a legacy power plug (regular style molex). I do not entirely trust this power supply, so I will also try using a regular power connector instead of the SATA one. I will do these two things first, and if it does not fix it I will use the diagnostic to scan the drive. I am going to start heading home now, and will work on it this evening. Thanks.
February 9, 2007 6:30:30 PM

When you receive the "Error loading Operating System", that's because you have the CD-ROM drive set at first boot in boot device priority after installation of XP SP2. been there, done that.

You'd kick yourself on the head now. Check the SATA DRIVE with the XP SP2 is the hard drive listed as boot drive. Then make sure in the boot device priority, first boot is highlighted with that SATA drive.

Also, if you keep the XP SP2 CD in the CDROM drive. Miraclously, XP will load.

I had the same mobo as you and it's weird but I went thru the same thing you are experiencing.
February 9, 2007 6:49:16 PM

I don't quite understand, though. You say "Check the SATA DRIVE with XP SP2 is the hard drive listed as boot drive," but I can't find anywhere in my BIOS a setting that will let me choose which hard drive to boot from. And in 'Boot Device Priority' all I have is 'Hard Drive' as an option, not SATA or IDE Master, etc.
February 9, 2007 7:16:59 PM

Quote:
I don't quite understand, though. You say "Check the SATA DRIVE with XP SP2 is the hard drive listed as boot drive," but I can't find anywhere in my BIOS a setting that will let me choose which hard drive to boot from. And in 'Boot Device Priority' all I have is 'Hard Drive' as an option, not SATA or IDE Master, etc.

I skimmed all the posts, not read I will be honest.

Have you tried plugging into a different SATA port? There are no master/slave settings on the SATA drives themselves but there are still master and slave ports.

I ran into this problem when I added my Raptor to my system and accidentally chose the slave port and it took me an hour to realize what the hell was going on.

I found it by looking at my bios and seeing which port I was using. give that a whirl.
February 9, 2007 7:21:44 PM

Quote:

I think what Arimto is saying is to make sure the machine isn't trying to boot the Optical Drive. Unplug all the hdd except the SATA with the OS and make sure the boot sequence is set for the hdd first.
February 9, 2007 8:49:51 PM

Have you tried enabling raid in the BIOS? I know you don't wanna use it, but I had an Abit that wouldn't boot SATA drives without the onboard Raid enabled. It didn't have any of the other raid settings "on" but w/out the raid enabled - no SATA boot. Hope this helps.
February 9, 2007 11:03:38 PM

OK, here's what I have done:

I checked and the boot device priority is Hard Drive, then CD, then Removable. I tried that, but same error.

I tried with the XP install CD in the drive, same error.

The SATA hard drive is plugged in to the 'First SATA Master' connector, according to the Main tab in the BIOS. I have also physically checked on the board and it is plugged in to the first SATA connector. In the Boot tab, under 'Hard Disk Drives', all I have is '1. 1st SATA-M: WDC WD2500KS-00MJBO' and '2. Bootable Add-in Cards', neither can be accessed, only moved up/down in the list.

I enabled RAID, enabled the 1st SATA Master, and tried. Nothing. I tried again, entering the Nvidia RAID setup (not in the BIOS) and added the drive to a stripe RAID array, still won't boot. I tried both of those ways with everything IDE related turned off in the BIOS, nothing. When I have the RAID enabled the drive does not show up in the Main tab of the BIOS. ?

And I tried a new SATA cable. Nope. Also I tried the standard molex power connector instead of the SATA one. Nothing.

I am going to start the WD Diagnostic program shortly, as soon as I burn it to a CD. Anything else that I have not tried yet (is there anything else?) would be appreciated. Thanks.
February 9, 2007 11:43:21 PM

If the diagnostic doesn't do it, I think you're best off just to RMA the drive. You seem to have tried everything. I'd definitely be offering massive quantities of beer to the computer Gods. :) 
February 9, 2007 11:50:16 PM

And we hit the ground.

I did a quick test, and almost immediately it came up with this:

PLEASE CONTACT TECHNICAL SUPPORT - DRIVE 0 @ PORT 0X09E0 REPORTED A SMART ERROR

SMART ATTRIBUTES:

All data in the ID column is 255, all the data in the NAME column is UNKNOWN, some data in the VALUE column are 1's, and some in the WORST column are 1's. I take it that this is telling me that the drive is dead.
February 10, 2007 12:14:22 AM

If the diagnostics say it's bad then it's bad.

Be sure to revisit the RMA discussion with newegg (or where ever). RMAing because you choose to is one thing. RMAing because they sent you a defective product is another. I'd expect them to cover the shipping and definitely not hit you with any silly "restocking" charge. But probably best to make sure that ground is covered before they receive the drive back.

-john
February 10, 2007 1:28:07 AM

So its bad then. I already got the RMA number, but I don't have any confirmation that they will pay for the shipping. How do I cancel the RMA and make them understand that it was a defective product and that they need to pay for it?
February 10, 2007 2:19:38 AM

I've never gone through the RMA process with newegg. (Is that where you got the drive from?) But I'd start by talking to someone in customer service there. I wouldn't think you'd need to cancel the RMA so much as update the reason for why you are returning it ... but I'm just guessing. Contact customer service again, tell them about the RMA you opened and also how you didn't think to actually run the diagnostics until after you'd already started the RMA process. Once they understand that the drive turned out to be defective things should fall into place.

-john
!