Boot Disk

February 20, 2005 3:39:19 AM

If I make a boot disk using XP pack 2 will I be able to use it on my
other machine that is running ME? I can't boot up the machine that
has ME. I want to try and get it running so I can copy and transfer
some files.

More about : boot disk

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:48:52 AM

Hi blarney,

Yes, you can use a computer running XP SP2 to make a boot disk for
ME........it would probably be best if you d/load the file to create a
Windows ME startup floppy disk:
http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Click on the link for either Windows ME OEM or Windows ME Custom, No
Ramdrive and d/load the file to hard drive (do NOT d/load the file directly
to a floppy disk, as this DOES NOT create the startup disk). Once the file
has been d/loaded, put a formatted floppy disk in the drive and then
double-click on the d/loaded file in order to create the startup disk.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

<blarney@optonline.net> wrote in message
> If I make a boot disk using XP pack 2 will I be able to use it on my
> other machine that is running ME? I can't boot up the machine that
> has ME. I want to try and get it running so I can copy and transfer
> some files.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 1:10:53 PM

<blarney@optonline.net> wrote in message
> If I make a boot disk using XP pack 2 will I be able to use it on my
> other machine that is running ME? I can't boot up the machine that
> has ME. I want to try and get it running so I can copy and transfer
> some files.

Yes but the boot disk created on XP is so minimal as to be hardly helpful to
you. It only contains the minimal files to boot to command prompt. Patti Mc
referred you to www.bootdisk.com which will help you get the makings of a
decent Windows Me Startup Disk. However if you have access to a working
computer why not remove the drive from your Windows Me system and
temporarily connect it to the working system as a Slave drive. Then you can
easily copy your files off of it?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

A great tool for Windows computers is the Universal Boot CD free from
http://www.ubcd4win.com/.

<blarney@optonline.net> wrote in message
> If I make a boot disk using XP pack 2 will I be able to use it on my
> other machine that is running ME? I can't boot up the machine that
> has ME. I want to try and get it running so I can copy and transfer
> some files.
February 20, 2005 8:26:28 PM

I am attempting to make a Cd, which can be used in a FAT 32 HD, neither
computer has an A drive. No success so far. Any hints?
news:o $qmKc2FFHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> <blarney@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> If I make a boot disk using XP pack 2 will I be able to use it on my
>> other machine that is running ME? I can't boot up the machine that
>> has ME. I want to try and get it running so I can copy and transfer
>> some files.
>
> Yes but the boot disk created on XP is so minimal as to be hardly helpful
> you. It only contains the minimal files to boot to command prompt. Patti
> Mc
> referred you to www.bootdisk.com which will help you get the makings of a
> decent Windows Me Startup Disk. However if you have access to a working
> computer why not remove the drive from your Windows Me system and
> temporarily connect it to the working system as a Slave drive. Then you
> can
> easily copy your files off of it?
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 8:26:29 PM

Cd's use their own file system, Compact Disk File System (cdfs), and neither
FAT nor NTFS.

"Happy" <happy@trial.ca> wrote in message
>I am attempting to make a Cd, which can be used in a FAT 32 HD, neither
>computer has an A drive. No success so far. Any hints?
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
> news:o $qmKc2FFHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>
>> <blarney@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>> If I make a boot disk using XP pack 2 will I be able to use it on my
>>> other machine that is running ME? I can't boot up the machine that
>>> has ME. I want to try and get it running so I can copy and transfer
>>> some files.
>>
>> Yes but the boot disk created on XP is so minimal as to be hardly helpful
>> you. It only contains the minimal files to boot to command prompt. Patti
>> Mc
>> referred you to www.bootdisk.com which will help you get the makings of a
>> decent Windows Me Startup Disk. However if you have access to a working
>> computer why not remove the drive from your Windows Me system and
>> temporarily connect it to the working system as a Slave drive. Then you
>> can
>> easily copy your files off of it?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]