Results of software deployment

Hello:

If I deploy a software update via group policy to many workstations, is
there a way to find out the workstations where the update has failed?

thanks,

Vadim Rapp

Hi,

Vadim Rapp schrieb:
> If I deploy a software update via group policy to many workstations, is
> there a way to find out the workstations where the update has failed?

There is no MS reporting tool integrated :-(

One option is to work with eventtriggers.exe, if you are using
XP Clients and combine it with a commandline emailclient like BLAT.
The problem: It has to be configured lokaly on every client, but it
can be scripted and deployed in a computerstartup script.

Another option is to use 3rd Party for Deployment.

HTH
Mark
--
Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server
Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de

Hello Mark,

thanks for responding.

MHM> Another option is to use 3rd Party for Deployment.

Do you know a 3rd party product where this is implemented? SMS, for example,
is not sufficient since it can't depoy at login screen.

thanks,

Vadim Rapp

Hi,

Vadim Rapp schrieb:
> Do you know a 3rd party product where this is implemented?

Take a look at Specops Deploy, they have a very interisting
targeting system and a easy to use GUI.
http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsdeploy/default.asp

Mark
--
Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server
Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de
W2K FAQ : http://w2k-faq.ebend.de
PM: Vorname@Homepage, Versende-Adresse wird nicht abgerufen.

Hello Mark,
You wrote in conference microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy on Mon, 15
Aug 2005 10:23:29 +0200:

MHM> Take a look at Specops Deploy, they have a very interisting
MHM> targeting system and a easy to use GUI.
MHM> http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsdeploy/default.asp

thanks, will do. Meanwhile, I developed "poor man reporter" - vbscript that
I now embed into the installation sequence; it reports
product/version/machine/outcome to remote database on script
starting/ending; seeing the machines where it failed has become trivial. Of
course it works only with my own installations...

Vadim

Hi,

Vadim Rapp schrieb:
> Meanwhile, I developed "poor man reporter" - vbscript [...]

Scripting is always a solution ;-)

CU
Mark