OCing the Asus X1950Pro...?

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I'm using the Smart Doctor software that came with the drivers CD. It allows me to OC the card, but the settings revert to stock after every reboot.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or is there a better tool out there?

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I got the powercolor version, oc'd well to 621/1512. Just go to ati's website and get the display and control center drivers, you can overclock it with that and it has the option to keep the changes after start up.

littlebigman

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Will the Asus SmartDoctor work with the visiontek agp 1950 pro for overclocking?

Right now I am using ATI Tray Tools. Current OC is 650 core, 1590 memory.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
hmm. I used ati's cat 6.12 automated overclock utility and got 621 and 1580, but left the memory at 1500. I wished I could push the core more, but can't.

I tried ATI Tray Tools but it only crashed my system.

@LittleBigMan: can you pm the exact steps of overclocking with tray tools? (if you can be bothered) Cause either I am doing something wrong, or tray tools doesn't like my msi 1950pro..... thanks.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Crashing was my issue as well. Anything past 600 and 1430 resulted in a black screen. I may look into the auto overclock thing. Happy with what I have though. FEAR Combat isn't exactly taxing on my system. Only other games I may play are WOW and EQ. But from what I can tell, this mild OC seems to have gained me about 5-10 FPS in FEAR according to FRAPS. Haven't run any kind of tests, but prior to the OC, my lowest FPS were 50-55, now it rarely drops into the 50s.

Guess OCing is kinda like what some people say about tatoos. It's just plain addictive. When I ordered my new stuff, I was sure I'd be happy with an OC of 2.8. Sitting at 3.01, and can't wait till I can get a better cooling solution to push for 3.2.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
My HIS IceQ Turbo X1950 Pro comes stock at 620/1470(I think it's 1470, can't remember). I wonder if it'll OC at all, since the max seems to be 620 for other cards?

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
My HIS IceQ Turbo X1950 Pro comes stock at 620/1470(I think it's 1470, can't remember). I wonder if it'll OC at all, since the max seems to be 620 for other cards?

Try, I was interested in knowing if you can go past 621 with that card... the problem i'm seeing is with ati's cat driver, won't let the slider go up past 627 and really it won't let you actually apply anything above 621

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Weird. I'm going to overclock my CPU this weekend and through the week, testing will take awhile, but after that I'll see what kind of OC I can get from my X1950Pro. One thing is for sure, the HSF on it keeps it really cool, even at the high speeds it's at. I was suprised. It's sitting at 35C at idle.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Weird. I'm going to overclock my CPU this weekend and through the week, testing will take awhile, but after that I'll see what kind of OC I can get from my X1950Pro. One thing is for sure, the HSF on it keeps it really cool, even at the high speeds it's at. I was suprised. It's sitting at 35C at idle.

Curious, do you have the fan set on max or auto? At stock, mine runs at about 44C idle and gaming with fans on auto. Got up to about 55C while gaming when OCd. Went back in and changed the fan speeds which got it back into mid 40s again OCd.

Anyone know what the safe temp ranges are for this card, or in general?

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
The powercolor one I have idles at 37 (was 36 till I added my xfi)... only problem is it sends the hot air towards the base of the pci slot... kinda stupid.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Powercolor ATI X1950XTX 512Mb Video Card Review
Eager to see how much we could squeeze out of this early Powercolor X1950XTX sample we started our favorite ATI overclock utilities, but alas, they failed to recognize this brand new card. We tried ATI Tool, ATI Tray Tools and Powerstip, but in the end had to resort to ATI?s own Catalyst Control Center.

They didn't mention this in the mid-range review, maybe Powerstrip worked for them this time.

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

Curious, do you have the fan set on max or auto? At stock, mine runs at about 44C idle and gaming with fans on auto. Got up to about 55C while gaming when OCd. Went back in and changed the fan speeds which got it back into mid 40s again OCd.

I have to 80mm fans mounted on the side panel of my case, so that might have something to do with it. Plus, it's usually fairly cool in my apartment.

Has anyone ever used the automated clock utility in CCC before? Is it any good?

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006

I have to 80mm fans mounted on the side panel of my case, so that might have something to do with it. Plus, it's usually fairly cool in my apartment.

Has anyone ever used the automated clock utility in CCC before? Is it any good?

Yeah to be fair I took out all my pci slot covers and twisty tied a tornado intake fan right below my gfx card, so it always gets cool air.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
hmm. I used ati's cat 6.12 automated overclock utility and got 621 and 1580, but left the memory at 1500. I wished I could push the core more, but can't.

I tried ATI Tray Tools but it only crashed my system.

@LittleBigMan: can you pm the exact steps of overclocking with tray tools? (if you can be bothered) Cause either I am doing something wrong, or tray tools doesn't like my msi 1950pro..... thanks.

I just tried ati tray tools... I can oc the core to 648 with it, any higher and my pc restarts.... that utility has crashed my pc like 4 times in the first 10 minutes of using it....

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
All I did was press the find max stable to for gpu... when it went over 650 the system crashed, same thing happened with memory... in fact the one time I could visually see artifacts it didn't even detect them... you saying my eyes are in error? And on another occasion I set the speed up to one I knew was stable and had gotten to work with that program before, but it crashed anyways... well more accurately it made my taskbar and mouse disappear.... then crash.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
... and if you never see any artifacts? Its either no artifacts or a crash when I use that program, no way to tell when its set too high without going "oh hey it crashed after that point"

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Please don't start a pissing contest in my thread. :)

ATI TrayTools failed to hold my settings after reboot. Could be user error I suppose, but I think I did it right. Set it to what seems to be my max OC, saved the profile, checked the box to load profile at start, etc., but no good.

My cat. control center doesn't have the OC features for some reason. It's the ATI Overdrive, right? Non-existant for me. Went to ATIs web site, and dowloaded the latest for my card.

Apparently, ATI doesn't like to uninstall parts of the software. Tried to remove just the CCC, it would start to uninstall, then reboot my PC. So I uninstalled the whole thing, drivers and all. Tried to run the one I downloaded, said it couldn't find the hardware (or something like that) for the software. So I reinstalled everything from my drivers CD. Thought maybe I could just reinstall the CCC, but that caused a reboot as well.

I'm a bit lost. :( I'll hit ATIs site again later to make sure I got the right download, but it only gave me the option for X1900 series. Nothing specific for the 1950. Did I miss something?

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Just go to filehippo.com and download from there. 6.12 works best for me. I tried 7.1 and didn't like the overclock at all.

if I am not allowed to post other sites please delete.

pls ignore robsx2 cause all he does is bashing people away trying to prove what an idiot he is.

As far as I know nobody has any success with overclocking utilities such as ati tray tools or similar due to the new core of 1950 pro (rv570).
There are some people that claim success with ati tray tools, but dunno why. For most people it just crashes the system.

here's something interesting for overclocking the card link

here's a quote of X-bit labs failing to overclock as well
"Unfortunately, we couldn’t check out the overclocking potential of the Radeon X1950 Pro because there were no overclocking utilities that would support the RV570 chip at the time of our writing this review. ATI’s Overdrive feature in the Catalyst Control Center worked incorrectly, at least with our sample of the Radeon X1950 Pro. When we tried to increase the GPU clock rate, the frequency was stepped up so high that we got visual artifacts right away. We will try to overclock the Radeon X1950 Pro in the future as soon as we’ve got a retail version of the card and appropriate utilities."

link for this page is here: clicky