Automatic logon only during certain hours

We use our computers for 3D rendering at night and want to make it as
easy as possible for users to set things up for rendering before
leaving work.

We have a rack of dedicated rendering machines that auto-logon, but
would like to apply this policy to all the other machines during
certain hours. That way people could reboot their computer and walk
away at the end of the day.

So the question is, is there a way to make a Group Policy apply only
during certain hours? I can't see an obvious way to do this.

Denis Wong @ Hong Kong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> GP applies either at computer startup, or user login, or when the policy is
> refreshed. So perhaps you can schedule policy refresh to achieve what you
> want.

Ooh, nice idea. I'll see if I can get a scheduled task to swap the
policies over. This is a bit like the "night service" our phone system
implements - different functionality in and out of office hours.

Hi,

GP applies either at computer startup, or user login, or when the policy is
refreshed. So perhaps you can schedule policy refresh to achieve what you
want.

br,
Denis

Mark Heitbrink [MVP] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> news@chthonic.f9.co.uk schrieb:
> > I'll see if I can get a scheduled task to swap the policies over.
>
> Take a look at:
> http://rallenhome.com/books/adcookbook/code.html
> e.g.
> http://rallenhome.com/books/adcookbook/src/09.12-create_gpo_link.vbs.txt

Works like a dream. Thankyou.

What I ended up doing was writing a script that looked up the correct
policy links and enabled/disabled them depending if the time was before
or after noon.

Then I scheduled the script to run twice a day whenever we needed the
state to change. Now all the users have to do is reboot and walk away -
the machine logs back in and starts rendering automatically.

Hi,

news@chthonic.f9.co.uk schrieb:
> Works like a dream. Thankyou.

your welcome.