Sign in with
Your question

Hot Northwood - will performance be affected ?

Last response: in CPUs
January 31, 2007 6:06:10 PM

hi

I have my old Northwood 3.06, which has always run too hot (probably related to poor cable management.

e.g. ambient room temp of around 20 C

no load = approx. 46-50
Prime95 torture test = 65-66

Would this affect overall performance or will it perform the same as a cooler Northwood ?

Is performance only affected at 70+ or whenever the "throttleback" occurs ?

thanks

swayzak
January 31, 2007 6:09:56 PM

There shouldn't be any detriment to performance. That said, however, you should probably find some way to cool your CPU down a bit, such as tidying up the cables, buying a CPU cooler or adding some extra case fans. The lifespan of the CPU may be affected....(not to sure?)
January 31, 2007 6:14:00 PM

Quote:
There shouldn't be any detriment to performance. That said, however, you should probably find some way to cool your CPU down a bit, such as tidying up the cables, buying a CPU cooler or adding some extra case fans. The lifespan of the CPU may be affected....(not to sure?)

Thanks - I already have a nice Zalman cooler.

But my cable arrangement is piss-poor - maybe I should put in the round PATA cables I've got lying around.....
Related resources
January 31, 2007 6:32:53 PM

That isn't that bad, my Northwood sometimes gets up to 80 at it's very hottest! Then again it is clocked at 3.7ghz with the stock cooler :D 
January 31, 2007 6:34:10 PM

Quote:
maybe I should put in the round PATA cables I've got lying around.....

Uh....yeah. I would suggest that! :D 

(Other than that, maybe better case fans?)
January 31, 2007 6:38:16 PM

Nothing unusual for a netburst cpu even if it isn't a prescot. Were did you heard that they were supposed to be cool running cpus? :lol: 

Don't worry about it! I worked 3 years ago in a PC retail store and had allot of contact with those CPUs and there's nothing unusual with that temp.
January 31, 2007 6:50:42 PM

performance no not in regards to speed, stability possibly for you to determine, longevity yes.

pull your side panel off and get an Arctic freezer 7 pro they are cheap and perform well and will move to your next platform.
January 31, 2007 9:05:28 PM

P-4 prescott here, your northwood temps are very good compared to my room heater, idle @57c prime95@77c have never been able to get it any cooler. I have tried every concevable thing spent $$$$$ on coolers. nothing helped. contacted intel and they said as long as the case temp does not exceed 37c it is o.k. I have talked to people that have run up to 95c before the cpu starts to throttle back. this one has been as high as 84c and never throttled back. The p-4's run hot. don't waste $$$$ trying to fix it. I make this statement from personal experrience. 8O
January 31, 2007 9:50:07 PM

which mobo+chipset do you use? some mobos have different way or sensor chip to measure the cpu temp..

i use gigabyte ga-8KNXP i875 chipset P4 3.2GHz room@20c cpu idle@43c load@56c...if i put my cpu to gigabyte i865 chipset,i get idle@24c load@35c...
both cpu+chipset watercooled...
so there is something different about temp sensors on different mobos..
try digital temp sensor and paste the sensor at heatsink and close possible to cpu...you will get real cpu temp +4~6c on that sensor..
January 31, 2007 10:56:28 PM

Quote:
Nothing unusual for a netburst cpu even if it isn't a prescot. Were did you heard that they were supposed to be cool running cpus? :lol: 

Don't worry about it! I worked 3 years ago in a PC retail store and had allot of contact with those CPUs and there's nothing unusual with that temp.

Very reassuring - thanks !
January 31, 2007 10:57:13 PM

Quote:
P-4 prescott here, your northwood temps are very good compared to my room heater, idle @57c prime95@77c have never been able to get it any cooler. I have tried every concevable thing spent $$$$$ on coolers. nothing helped. contacted intel and they said as long as the case temp does not exceed 37c it is o.k. I have talked to people that have run up to 95c before the cpu starts to throttle back. this one has been as high as 84c and never throttled back. The p-4's run hot. don't waste $$$$ trying to fix it. I make this statement from personal experrience. 8O

Thanks - makes me feel alot better !
January 31, 2007 10:58:16 PM

Quote:
which mobo+chipset do you use? some mobos have different way or sensor chip to measure the cpu temp..

i use gigabyte ga-8KNXP i875 chipset P4 3.2GHz room@20c cpu idle@43c load@56c...if i put my cpu to gigabyte i865 chipset,i get idle@24c load@35c...
both cpu+chipset watercooled...
so there is something different about temp sensors on different mobos..
try digital temp sensor and paste the sensor at heatsink and close possible to cpu...you will get real cpu temp +4~6c on that sensor..

Asus P4PE
February 1, 2007 12:37:40 AM

Quote:
hi

I have my old Northwood 3.06, which has always run too hot (probably related to poor cable management.

e.g. ambient room temp of around 20 C

no load = approx. 46-50
Prime95 torture test = 65-66

Would this affect overall performance or will it perform the same as a cooler Northwood ?

Is performance only affected at 70+ or whenever the "throttleback" occurs ?

thanks

swayzak

I recently bought this:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1683...

for my slightly OCed and undervolted 3.06 Northwood. Mid-twenties idle, reaches absolute max at 59/60.

edit - damn, you already have an even better cooler. Try re-seating and re-applying some AS5 (or thermal compound of your choice) and making sure you have more suction out of the back than you do air coming into the case, otherwise convection currents of hot air can build up inside.
!