Advanced Server 2000

The local Policy on my DC is all messed up, how can i restore it to defaults?
Can i copy one from another 2000 server? This used to be a DC in another
domain that i had to move people off of and put into a new domain because of
adding 2003 DC's to the network and the previous network had a 2000 SBS
server on it at one time. The DC with local policy problems is a TS server
and people are not being able to run programs inside of TS, but they can log
in. In order for them to run programs they need to be admins. Not GOOD. so
i set up another TS server to make sure GPO was working correctl;y and it is,
so it's deffinitally a Local Policy problem on the DC, please help me restore
it to default...
2 answers Last reply
More about advanced server 2000

    You can try the following tool from the MS website:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b5b685ae-b7dd-4bb5-ab2a-976d6873129d&DisplayLang=en

    It's a bit of a sledgehammer though, as tools go, so you should try to
    resolve the problem settings in the GPO manually before resorting to this:

    "
    RecreateDefPol.exe is a tool developed for the restoration of the Default
    Domain and Default Domain Controllers policy files, in case of accidental
    deletion. This tool is for use exclusively on Windows 2000 Server, Advanced
    Server, and DataCenter Server. Do not use this tool on Windows Server 2003;
    use Dcgpofix.exe instead (included in Windows Server 2003).

    This tool is intended for use only in disaster recovery situations, where
    either the Default Domain Policy, the Default Domain Controllers Policy, or
    both have been damaged or deleted, and no other backup is available. This
    should be considered a tool of last resort."

    --
    Laura E. Hunter
    Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
    (http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)

    All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
    Replies to newsgroup only.

    "Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The local Policy on my DC is all messed up, how can i restore it to
    > defaults?
    > Can i copy one from another 2000 server? This used to be a DC in another
    > domain that i had to move people off of and put into a new domain because
    > of
    > adding 2003 DC's to the network and the previous network had a 2000 SBS
    > server on it at one time. The DC with local policy problems is a TS
    > server
    > and people are not being able to run programs inside of TS, but they can
    > log
    > in. In order for them to run programs they need to be admins. Not GOOD.
    > so
    > i set up another TS server to make sure GPO was working correctl;y and it
    > is,
    > so it's deffinitally a Local Policy problem on the DC, please help me
    > restore
    > it to default...

    That tool says it is for the default domain and default domain controller
    policy's what about the local policy's? I believe it is the local policy
    that is messed up.

    jamie

    "Laura E. Hunter (MVP)" wrote:

    > You can try the following tool from the MS website:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b5b685ae-b7dd-4bb5-ab2a-976d6873129d&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > It's a bit of a sledgehammer though, as tools go, so you should try to
    > resolve the problem settings in the GPO manually before resorting to this:
    >
    > "
    > RecreateDefPol.exe is a tool developed for the restoration of the Default
    > Domain and Default Domain Controllers policy files, in case of accidental
    > deletion. This tool is for use exclusively on Windows 2000 Server, Advanced
    > Server, and DataCenter Server. Do not use this tool on Windows Server 2003;
    > use Dcgpofix.exe instead (included in Windows Server 2003).
    >
    > This tool is intended for use only in disaster recovery situations, where
    > either the Default Domain Policy, the Default Domain Controllers Policy, or
    > both have been damaged or deleted, and no other backup is available. This
    > should be considered a tool of last resort."
    >
    > --
    > Laura E. Hunter
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Networking
    > Author: _Active Directory Consultant's Field Guide_
    > (http://tinyurl.com/7f8ll)
    >
    > All information provided "AS-IS", no warranties expressed or implied.
    > Replies to newsgroup only.
    >

    > "Jamie" <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The local Policy on my DC is all messed up, how can i restore it to
    > > defaults?
    > > Can i copy one from another 2000 server? This used to be a DC in another
    > > domain that i had to move people off of and put into a new domain because
    > > of
    > > adding 2003 DC's to the network and the previous network had a 2000 SBS
    > > server on it at one time. The DC with local policy problems is a TS
    > > server
    > > and people are not being able to run programs inside of TS, but they can
    > > log
    > > in. In order for them to run programs they need to be admins. Not GOOD.
    > > so
    > > i set up another TS server to make sure GPO was working correctl;y and it
    > > is,
    > > so it's deffinitally a Local Policy problem on the DC, please help me
    > > restore
    > > it to default...

Policy Servers Windows