Sign in with
Your question

Extreme X6800 2.93GHz - Am I running @2.93GHz?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 31, 2007 6:54:31 PM

Right now, the only monitoring tool I have is the NVidia Monitor. I could swear it says CPU @18xx. Is this the speed of my processor or do I need to download something to actually test it? Same thing with my memory.

I get a little lost when it comes to some of the BIOS setting and speeds of different hardware. So I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff.

Here's my setup:
Thermaltake Armor Case
EVGA 680i Motherboard w/SLI
Extreme X6800 2.93GHz
Zalman 9500 CPU Cooler
4 gig Kingston Hyper X DDR2 800
(2) WD 150g Raptors in Raid 0
(2) EVGA 8800GTX in SLI
Creative X-treme Gamer
BFG 1000w Power Supply
January 31, 2007 6:58:55 PM

I think Intel has a CPU utility on their site that could help. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

HERE:

CPU ID
January 31, 2007 7:30:32 PM

Quote:
Right now, the only monitoring tool I have is the NVidia Monitor. I could swear it says CPU @18xx. Is this the speed of my processor or do I need to download something to actually test it? Same thing with my memory.

I get a little lost when it comes to some of the BIOS setting and speeds of different hardware. So I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff.

Here's my setup:
Thermaltake Armor Case
Extreme X6800 2.93GHz
Zalman 9500 CPU Cooler
(2) EVGA 8800GTX in SLI
Creative X-treme Gamer
BFG 1000w Power Supply

Dude, your system is totally f*cked. Send it to me and I'll see what I can do with it. I doubt I'll be able to return it though, seeing as it's so badly damaged. So I think I'll just keep it as an example of just how bad computers can screw up.

Seriously though. it's probably SpeedSteep, which is when the CPU throttles itself to save power when it's not being taxed. When the CPU is given a demanding task it will go back running@full speed.
Related resources
January 31, 2007 7:35:07 PM

All that power... tell me you'll at least overclock it.

We've got similar systems with the exception of the motherboard, I run a DQ6 and the cards, I use twin 7950GX2's.
January 31, 2007 7:42:40 PM

Quote:

I would if I knew how. I've never really messed with overclocking.

Quote:
Dude, your system is totally f*cked. Send it to me and I'll see what I can do with it. I doubt I'll be able to return it though, seeing as it's so badly damaged. So I think I'll just keep it as an example of just how bad computers can screw up.

LOLOLOLOL It was my birthday gift to myself. It was funny. When the guy was building it for me (warranty purposes) he called me up to tell me the power supply was running a few days behind, but he wanted me to come by right then just to look at the case.
January 31, 2007 7:43:17 PM

Quote:

Here's my setup:
Thermaltake Armor Case
Extreme X6800 2.93GHz
Zalman 9500 CPU Cooler
(2) EVGA 8800GTX in SLI
Creative X-treme Gamer
BFG 1000w Power Supply

...for someone who doesn't have a clue about how to see CPU speed you certainly can 'present' your hardware.

Cut the crap man! ... what are you? some kind of a Joker ? :lol:  , ... you had your entrance , happy?
January 31, 2007 7:53:18 PM

Quote:
I would if I knew how. I've never really messed with overclocking.

.... Well then you're in luck. Not only is there the ultra mega duper uber helpful, Core 2 Duo Overclocking Guide, but there's going to be a treat for everyone thats read the guide coming soon. As for what that is, my lips are sealed.
January 31, 2007 7:57:18 PM

For what I spent, I know my hardware. I did alot of research on the parts before I chose them. The guy who built it picked out the specific company like EVGA and BFG.

Where I'm a total newb is understanding BIOS and multipliers and items like that. I get really confused trying to follow all the threads I seem to read. When I say I honestly don't understand that stuff, I honestly don't understand it. When it comes to software, I'm even more of a newb. That's why I'm not too sure if I'm running at the correct speed.
January 31, 2007 8:35:47 PM

Quote:
For what I spent, I know my hardware. I did alot of research on the parts before I chose them. The guy who built it picked out the specific company like EVGA and BFG.

Where I'm a total newb is understanding BIOS and multipliers and items like that. I get really confused trying to follow all the threads I seem to read. When I say I honestly don't understand that stuff, I honestly don't understand it. When it comes to software, I'm even more of a newb. That's why I'm not too sure if I'm running at the correct speed.

In that case you're a rich newb :lol:  (concerning OC, not hardware :wink:)  Congrats for that system!

I think the latest three articles about overclocking TH published might help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/11/overclocking-gui...
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/04/overclocking_gui...
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/18/overclocking-gui... -- Actualy this is part 3, it's just in a folder named part one ...
January 31, 2007 8:48:18 PM

You said that the cpu is running at 1.8X maybe the guy installed a e6300 at 1.83GHz and did not install the x6800. I am not saying he did but i would double check. Download and run CPU-Z and see if it is a x6800.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Best of Luck.
January 31, 2007 9:02:05 PM

I'll definitely take a look when I get home. It better be a x6800. I'll also review the guides.

Thanks for all the help! :D 
January 31, 2007 10:30:22 PM

I ran the program from the Intel site. At least it's the x6800. This is what I got:

Expected: 2.93GHz Bus 1066MHz

Reported Core 1: 1.86Ghz Bus 1066MHz Cache 4MB
Reported Core 2: 1.86Ghz Bus 1066MHz Cache 4MB

JumpingJack said something about speedstep. I take it that is a BIOS option.
February 1, 2007 12:05:17 PM

Back at work. I guess I need some ideas.

I went into the BIOS and SpeedStep was disabled. I looked at the Core 2 Duo Overclocking guide and disabled a few more things (that were straight forward for me) and no change. I put some 62% load (not much installed atm) and no change change in speed.

Overclocking is a second thought. Right now, I want to get this thing running stock. There isn't much as far as settings that I can give while at work. Just looking for ideas to check when I get home.
February 1, 2007 12:11:52 PM

Quote:
Here's my setup:
Thermaltake Armor Case
Extreme X6800 2.93GHz
Zalman 9500 CPU Cooler
(2) EVGA 8800GTX in SLI
Creative X-treme Gamer
BFG 1000w Power Supply

N00b? This is like a 16 year old kid walking into a Suzuki dealership and riding out on a Hayabusa! Hot Damn! :D 
February 1, 2007 12:19:33 PM

Not just any Hayabusa, a turbo 'GSX13R with an extended rear fork and no governor chip. (O.O)
February 1, 2007 12:32:20 PM

Quote:

He doesn't even know about speedstep; unfair world :evil: 
February 1, 2007 1:30:03 PM

There's also always that Right Click -> Properties thing on My Computer.

It's no CPU-Z, but it's readily available and generally accurate :p 
February 1, 2007 1:58:21 PM

That usually only shows the processors stock rated speed, not the live speed.
February 1, 2007 2:12:46 PM

In every overclock I have ever performed, it shows the live speed.
February 1, 2007 2:24:34 PM

Me too, it usually says something like : Pentium D 2.66Ghz
.........................................................................4.00Ghz
February 1, 2007 2:26:03 PM

Whats the key word? Usually?
February 1, 2007 2:27:51 PM

I know SpeedStep is disabled. There has to be something else.

I'm going to research the BIOS to try and get a better understanding of some of the settings. I guess my general question is, and it's a newb question, will I have to more or less overclock (adjusting voltages, speeds, and timings) to run at stock speed?
February 1, 2007 2:31:25 PM

Quote:
Me too, it usually says something like : Pentium D 2.66Ghz
.........................................................................4.00Ghz

Same. And on my laptop, when speedstep takes place it will show the underclocked value.
February 1, 2007 2:33:58 PM

Why the hell do none of my computers do this?
February 1, 2007 2:34:36 PM

Edit:
Me too, it always says.... :wink:
February 1, 2007 2:40:02 PM

Ninja, do you need help installing Windows XP properly? tool and I can create a "DIY" guide for ya. :wink:
February 1, 2007 2:42:01 PM

(-_-)* If you're looking to die you're on the right track....
February 1, 2007 2:44:59 PM

eVGA 680i. The same one I have.

I bought an E6600 and various other hardware, put it together, and I was benchmarking lower than my laptop!

The problem was, that for some reason, the 680i seems to force the default multiplier to 7.

Anyway, without any damage to your system, go to your BIOS, go to Advanced Chipset Options -> CPU Configuration(Or w/e it's called, it's third from the top I believe) and put your multiplier back to 11.

Edit: My laptop is a c2d Macbook Pro 2.33 ghz, and it is outstandingly powerful.
February 1, 2007 2:47:03 PM

Quote:
(-_-)* If you're looking to die you're on the right track....

"Every man dies, but not every man really lives" ... to install Windows again, that is.
February 1, 2007 2:47:46 PM

Quote:
Ninja, do you need help installing Windows XP properly? tool and I can create a "DIY" guide for ya. :wink:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
February 1, 2007 2:52:26 PM

(>_<)*I'm trying to figure out which one of you I should dispose of first.
February 1, 2007 3:14:01 PM

Quote:

:lol:  Not me, I'm what Penryns are made of.
February 1, 2007 3:15:25 PM

Quote:

You can live then. For now.
February 1, 2007 3:52:50 PM

Quote:

Errr... I'm what quad-FX is made of?

..oops..
February 1, 2007 4:02:21 PM

Quote:

What, you have a bloated chipset and NUMA issues? :lol: 
February 1, 2007 4:22:15 PM

Quote:
eVGA 680i. The same one I have.

I bought an E6600 and various other hardware, put it together, and I was benchmarking lower than my laptop!

The problem was, that for some reason, the 680i seems to force the default multiplier to 7.

Anyway, without any damage to your system, go to your BIOS, go to Advanced Chipset Options -> CPU Configuration(Or w/e it's called, it's third from the top I believe) and put your multiplier back to 11.

Edit: My laptop is a c2d Macbook Pro 2.33 ghz, and it is outstandingly powerful.

It's at 7. I noticed that the other day. I'll give that a go when I get home. Thanks :) 
February 1, 2007 5:12:51 PM

Quote:

Dang, busted up again by FUDMAN! :x
February 1, 2007 6:37:10 PM

Quote:

Dang, busted up again by FUDMAN! :x

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men! FUDMAN knows!!!! :D 
February 1, 2007 7:25:53 PM

Quote:

Hey Ninja, just cool a little bit, ...you can always try to install it yourself...
February 1, 2007 7:39:51 PM

BASTAGES TO ALL YOU!!!
February 1, 2007 8:43:33 PM

:p  I'm laughing to death about it :lol: 
8) now I am serious, it's pretty easy to install windows,... at least until that Time/Zone window pops up,... c'mon, don't tell us you always went smooth there :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
No offense man, it's just so funny stalking about this!!!
February 2, 2007 11:44:07 PM

Just look. You've gone and made ninja mad! We were just joking around having a good time, and now you've gone and RUINED it! :lol: 
!