Failed to open Group Policy Object

Hi

I have just set up a new Windows 2003 server as a PDC with AD. I installed
DNS after AD and that seemed to have caused some small issues with DNS , but
I sorted that. However, when I try to run either "Domain Controller Security
policy" or "Domain Security policy", from the administration menu, it fails
to launch properly. I get the message, "Failed to open the Group policy
object, You may not have appropriate rights"

Then when you say ok, the GPedit program appears and it has a red cross on
it to say its broken. I have a windows 2003 Terminal server which has
Group policy ok, but its in a workgroup. (Plan is to add the TS to the AD
and mange both from AD group policy)

So I have looked at path on the TS server and I have
C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy folders and all underneath. on the PDC there
is no such folder.

I am assuming I have made a cock up here and uninstalled a feature or
something that has taken this out, or did I fail to install something?

1) How can I put this right?

2) Any idea on what went wrong.

3) I don't want to copy the Group policy folder from the TS server as it has
problems that I want to get rid of hence the domain controller.

Help. I am in desperate dire straights to sort this out. All advice
gratefully received.

Regards
Rowland
3 answers Last reply
More about failed open group policy object

    Just some more info

    I read some other posts here and thought I would try to run Dcgpofix.exe. It
    asked questions and I said yes twice, but it didn't seem to do anything,
    should I have ran it with a command line parameter?

    Cos it doesn't seem to have done anything.

    Thanks
    Rowland

    "Rowland Costin" <technical@selven.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have just set up a new Windows 2003 server as a PDC with AD. I installed
    > DNS after AD and that seemed to have caused some small issues with DNS ,
    > but I sorted that. However, when I try to run either "Domain Controller
    > Security policy" or "Domain Security policy", from the administration
    > menu, it fails to launch properly. I get the message, "Failed to open the
    > Group policy object, You may not have appropriate rights"
    >
    > Then when you say ok, the GPedit program appears and it has a red cross on
    > it to say its broken. I have a windows 2003 Terminal server which has
    > Group policy ok, but its in a workgroup. (Plan is to add the TS to the AD
    > and mange both from AD group policy)
    >
    > So I have looked at path on the TS server and I have
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy folders and all underneath. on the PDC
    > there is no such folder.
    >
    > I am assuming I have made a cock up here and uninstalled a feature or
    > something that has taken this out, or did I fail to install something?
    >
    > 1) How can I put this right?
    >
    > 2) Any idea on what went wrong.
    >
    > 3) I don't want to copy the Group policy folder from the TS server as it
    > has problems that I want to get rid of hence the domain controller.
    >
    > Help. I am in desperate dire straights to sort this out. All advice
    > gratefully received.
    >
    > Regards
    > Rowland

    Hmmm

    1) I have just ran command again and read the instructions. I ran it
    originally with no command line info and it seemed to be going through. What
    does it do like this?

    2) I tried the command dcgpofix /Target: BOTH but says syntax is wrong
    What did I get wrong? also dcgpofix /Target: Domain doesn't work either?

    Help

    > Just some more info
    >
    > I read some other posts here and thought I would try to run Dcgpofix.exe.
    > It
    > asked questions and I said yes twice, but it didn't seem to do anything,
    > should I have ran it with a command line parameter?
    >
    > Cos it doesn't seem to have done anything.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Rowland
    >
    > "Rowland Costin" <technical@selven.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have just set up a new Windows 2003 server as a PDC with AD. I
    >> installed DNS after AD and that seemed to have caused some small issues
    >> with DNS , but I sorted that. However, when I try to run either "Domain
    >> Controller Security policy" or "Domain Security policy", from the
    >> administration menu, it fails to launch properly. I get the message,
    >> "Failed to open the Group policy object, You may not have appropriate
    >> rights"
    >>
    >> Then when you say ok, the GPedit program appears and it has a red cross
    >> on it to say its broken. I have a windows 2003 Terminal server which
    >> has Group policy ok, but its in a workgroup. (Plan is to add the TS to
    >> the AD and mange both from AD group policy)
    >>
    >> So I have looked at path on the TS server and I have
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy folders and all underneath. on the PDC
    >> there is no such folder.
    >>
    >> I am assuming I have made a cock up here and uninstalled a feature or
    >> something that has taken this out, or did I fail to install something?
    >>
    >> 1) How can I put this right?
    >>
    >> 2) Any idea on what went wrong.
    >>
    >> 3) I don't want to copy the Group policy folder from the TS server as it
    >> has problems that I want to get rid of hence the domain controller.
    >>
    >> Help. I am in desperate dire straights to sort this out. All advice
    >> gratefully received.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Rowland

    Hmm. Slight red herring. The folder does exist, (Explorer just hiding it)

    So now I have no idea what to do. I'm stuck.

    Please help

    > Hmmm
    >
    > 1) I have just ran command again and read the instructions. I ran it
    > originally with no command line info and it seemed to be going through.
    > What does it do like this?
    >
    > 2) I tried the command dcgpofix /Target: BOTH but says syntax is
    > wrong
    > What did I get wrong? also dcgpofix /Target: Domain doesn't work either?
    >
    > Help
    > Rowland
    >

    > "Rowland Costin" <technical@selven.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Just some more info
    >>
    >> I read some other posts here and thought I would try to run Dcgpofix.exe.
    >> It
    >> asked questions and I said yes twice, but it didn't seem to do anything,
    >> should I have ran it with a command line parameter?
    >>
    >> Cos it doesn't seem to have done anything.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Rowland
    >>
    >> "Rowland Costin" <technical@selven.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I have just set up a new Windows 2003 server as a PDC with AD. I
    >>> installed DNS after AD and that seemed to have caused some small issues
    >>> with DNS , but I sorted that. However, when I try to run either "Domain
    >>> Controller Security policy" or "Domain Security policy", from the
    >>> administration menu, it fails to launch properly. I get the message,
    >>> "Failed to open the Group policy object, You may not have appropriate
    >>> rights"
    >>>
    >>> Then when you say ok, the GPedit program appears and it has a red cross
    >>> on it to say its broken. I have a windows 2003 Terminal server which
    >>> has Group policy ok, but its in a workgroup. (Plan is to add the TS to
    >>> the AD and mange both from AD group policy)
    >>>
    >>> So I have looked at path on the TS server and I have
    >>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy folders and all underneath. on the PDC
    >>> there is no such folder.
    >>>
    >>> I am assuming I have made a cock up here and uninstalled a feature or
    >>> something that has taken this out, or did I fail to install something?
    >>>
    >>> 1) How can I put this right?
    >>>
    >>> 2) Any idea on what went wrong.
    >>>
    >>> 3) I don't want to copy the Group policy folder from the TS server as it
    >>> has problems that I want to get rid of hence the domain controller.
    >>>
    >>> Help. I am in desperate dire straights to sort this out. All advice
    >>> gratefully received.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Rowland

Policy Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller Windows