Failed to open Group Policy Object

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 17, 2005 9:48:16 PM

Hi

I have just set up a new Windows 2003 server as a PDC with AD. I installed
DNS after AD and that seemed to have caused some small issues with DNS , but
I sorted that. However, when I try to run either "Domain Controller Security
policy" or "Domain Security policy", from the administration menu, it fails
to launch properly. I get the message, "Failed to open the Group policy
object, You may not have appropriate rights"

Then when you say ok, the GPedit program appears and it has a red cross on
it to say its broken. I have a windows 2003 Terminal server which has
Group policy ok, but its in a workgroup. (Plan is to add the TS to the AD
and mange both from AD group policy)

So I have looked at path on the TS server and I have
C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy folders and all underneath. on the PDC there
is no such folder.

I am assuming I have made a cock up here and uninstalled a feature or
something that has taken this out, or did I fail to install something?

1) How can I put this right?

2) Any idea on what went wrong.

3) I don't want to copy the Group policy folder from the TS server as it has
problems that I want to get rid of hence the domain controller.

Help. I am in desperate dire straights to sort this out. All advice
gratefully received.

Regards
Rowland
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:05:07 PM

Just some more info

I read some other posts here and thought I would try to run Dcgpofix.exe. It
asked questions and I said yes twice, but it didn't seem to do anything,
should I have ran it with a command line parameter?

Cos it doesn't seem to have done anything.

Thanks
Rowland

"Rowland Costin" <technical@selven.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o mg06t0oFHA.3084@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I have just set up a new Windows 2003 server as a PDC with AD. I installed
> DNS after AD and that seemed to have caused some small issues with DNS ,
> but I sorted that. However, when I try to run either "Domain Controller
> Security policy" or "Domain Security policy", from the administration
> menu, it fails to launch properly. I get the message, "Failed to open the
> Group policy object, You may not have appropriate rights"
>
> Then when you say ok, the GPedit program appears and it has a red cross on
> it to say its broken. I have a windows 2003 Terminal server which has
> Group policy ok, but its in a workgroup. (Plan is to add the TS to the AD
> and mange both from AD group policy)
>
> So I have looked at path on the TS server and I have
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy folders and all underneath. on the PDC
> there is no such folder.
>
> I am assuming I have made a cock up here and uninstalled a feature or
> something that has taken this out, or did I fail to install something?
>
> 1) How can I put this right?
>
> 2) Any idea on what went wrong.
>
> 3) I don't want to copy the Group policy folder from the TS server as it
> has problems that I want to get rid of hence the domain controller.
>
> Help. I am in desperate dire straights to sort this out. All advice
> gratefully received.
>
> Regards
> Rowland

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:12:52 PM

Hmmm

1) I have just ran command again and read the instructions. I ran it
originally with no command line info and it seemed to be going through. What
does it do like this?

2) I tried the command dcgpofix /Target: BOTH but says syntax is wrong
What did I get wrong? also dcgpofix /Target: Domain doesn't work either?

Help

> Just some more info
>
> I read some other posts here and thought I would try to run Dcgpofix.exe.
> It
> asked questions and I said yes twice, but it didn't seem to do anything,
> should I have ran it with a command line parameter?
>
> Cos it doesn't seem to have done anything.
>
> Thanks
> Rowland
>
> "Rowland Costin" <technical@selven.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o mg06t0oFHA.3084@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> I have just set up a new Windows 2003 server as a PDC with AD. I
>> installed DNS after AD and that seemed to have caused some small issues
>> with DNS , but I sorted that. However, when I try to run either "Domain
>> Controller Security policy" or "Domain Security policy", from the
>> administration menu, it fails to launch properly. I get the message,
>> "Failed to open the Group policy object, You may not have appropriate
>> rights"
>>
>> Then when you say ok, the GPedit program appears and it has a red cross
>> on it to say its broken. I have a windows 2003 Terminal server which
>> has Group policy ok, but its in a workgroup. (Plan is to add the TS to
>> the AD and mange both from AD group policy)
>>
>> So I have looked at path on the TS server and I have
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy folders and all underneath. on the PDC
>> there is no such folder.
>>
>> I am assuming I have made a cock up here and uninstalled a feature or
>> something that has taken this out, or did I fail to install something?
>>
>> 1) How can I put this right?
>>
>> 2) Any idea on what went wrong.
>>
>> 3) I don't want to copy the Group policy folder from the TS server as it
>> has problems that I want to get rid of hence the domain controller.
>>
>> Help. I am in desperate dire straights to sort this out. All advice
>> gratefully received.
>>
>> Regards
>> Rowland

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:23:05 PM

Hmm. Slight red herring. The folder does exist, (Explorer just hiding it)

So now I have no idea what to do. I'm stuck.

Please help

!