How do I turn off the Windows firewall in XP using a GPO?
I try to turn it off at teh machine, but it says that a group policy is
controlling teh settings and it prevents me from modifying anythign

Johnfli schrieb:
> How do I turn off the Windows firewall in XP using a GPO?

You can define a default and a domain profile within the
Administrative Templates. Just take a look inside.

> I try to turn it off at teh machine, but it says that a group policy is
> controlling teh settings and it prevents me from modifying anythign

So, thats the point, where you should ask your admin, why he has
configured it and why you shouldn´t be able to change it.

Mark
--
Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server
Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de

I have the same question. Very sorry if it’s kind of dumb but my AD has two
sub categories under Network:

Computer Configuration
Administrative Templates
Network
Offline files
Network and Dialup

It does not have anything pertaining to firewalls or settings. Any ideas as
how to add this functionality?

Thanks!

"Mark Heitbrink [MVP]" wrote:

> Johnfli schrieb:
> > How do I turn off the Windows firewall in XP using a GPO?
>
> You can define a default and a domain profile within the
> Administrative Templates. Just take a look inside.
>
> > I try to turn it off at teh machine, but it says that a group policy is
> > controlling teh settings and it prevents me from modifying anythign
>
> So, thats the point, where you should ask your admin, why he has
> configured it and why you shouldn´t be able to change it.
>
> Mark
> --
> Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server
> Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de
> W2K FAQ : http://w2k-faq.ebend.de
> PM: Vorname@Homepage, Versende-Adresse wird nicht abgerufen.

Hi Jeff,

FYI.

Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2

br,
Denis

"Jeff_DB" <JeffDB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same question. Very sorry if it's kind of dumb but my AD has
two
> sub categories under Network:
>
> Computer Configuration
> Administrative Templates
> Network
> Offline files
> Network and Dialup
>
> It does not have anything pertaining to firewalls or settings. Any ideas
as
> how to add this functionality?
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Mark Heitbrink [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Johnfli schrieb:
> > > How do I turn off the Windows firewall in XP using a GPO?
> >
> > You can define a default and a domain profile within the
> > Administrative Templates. Just take a look inside.
> >
> > > I try to turn it off at teh machine, but it says that a group policy
is
> > > controlling teh settings and it prevents me from modifying anythign
> >
> > So, thats the point, where you should ask your admin, why he has
> > configured it and why you shouldn´t be able to change it.
> >
> > Mark
> > --
> > Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server
> > Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de
> > W2K FAQ : http://w2k-faq.ebend.de
> > PM: Vorname@Homepage, Versende-Adresse wird nicht abgerufen.

Thanks for input Denis,
Ok, I try to add the MMC snap-in from my XPsp2 workstation but it did
nothing. (from Page 9 of doc in KB) No window firewall settings were added to
the policy. Looks exactly the same as it did before.

When I go to the Domain Controller and try to look at the group policy I get
an endless loop of these errors?

“The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has been
truncated…”
What does this mean?

Is there an ADM file I can just add to our Window 2000SP4 Domain controller
directly? This seems more logical.
Why must this be done from an XP workstation?

Other notes:
I was logging as an Domain admin.
Our system.adm was dated July 17, 2004

Any input greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> FYI.
>

> Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "Jeff_DB" <JeffDB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have the same question. Very sorry if it's kind of dumb but my AD has
> two
> > sub categories under Network:
> >
> > Computer Configuration
> > Administrative Templates
> > Network
> > Offline files
> > Network and Dialup
> >
> > It does not have anything pertaining to firewalls or settings. Any ideas
> as
> > how to add this functionality?
> >
> > Thanks!

> > > You can define a default and a domain profile within the
> > > Administrative Templates. Just take a look inside.

> is
> > >
> > > So, thats the point, where you should ask your admin, why he has
> > > configured it and why you shouldn´t be able to change it.
> > >
> > > Mark
> > > --
> > > Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server
> > > Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de
> > > W2K FAQ : http://w2k-faq.ebend.de
> > > PM: Vorname@Homepage, Versende-Adresse wird nicht abgerufen.

Hi Jeff,

You can apply the fix for the error.

"The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has been
truncated" error message when you try to modify or to view GPOs in Windows
Server 2003, Windows XP Professional, or Windows 2000

> Thanks for input Denis,
> Ok, I try to add the MMC snap-in from my XPsp2 workstation but it did
> nothing. (from Page 9 of doc in KB) No window firewall settings were added
> the policy. Looks exactly the same as it did before.
>
> When I go to the Domain Controller and try to look at the group policy I
get
> an endless loop of these errors?
>
> "The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has been
> truncated."
> What does this mean?
>
> Is there an ADM file I can just add to our Window 2000SP4 Domain
controller
> directly? This seems more logical.
> Why must this be done from an XP workstation?
>
> Other notes:
> I was logging as an Domain admin.
> Our system.adm was dated July 17, 2004
>
> Any input greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!
>

> "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:
>
> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > FYI.
> >

> > Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875357
> >
> > br,
> > Denis
> >
> > "Jeff_DB" <JeffDB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have the same question. Very sorry if it's kind of dumb but my AD
has
> > two
> > > sub categories under Network:
> > >
> > > Computer Configuration
> > > Administrative Templates
> > > Network
> > > Offline files
> > > Network and Dialup
> > >
> > > It does not have anything pertaining to firewalls or settings. Any
ideas
> > as
> > > how to add this functionality?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > is

Thank you replying and for the information.

Well, it worked, once. I applied the KB and rebooted. It got rid of the
errors but doesn’t display anything. I was however able to show the new
firewall GPO on my XP workstation (only once). I saved settings in my MMC and
I closed out to reboot to get the firewall change I was testing on my own XP
PC. The Firewall changed happened but I can no longer see the firewall
settings in the MMC GPO I created. I’m back to same two the directories under
Network:

Network
Offline files
Network and dialup.

I think I am authenticated on a different DC this time though. Do I need to
apply the KB to every DC even though it does nothing to see the GPO and
firewall settings?

How do I manually set the GPO from XP WS to look at an specific domain
controller. Right now the snap in only looks at the first domain controller
it sees with no way to change it. “GPOName [DC1.Domain.lan] “ The first time
it worked I think it was on DC4.

Thanks again.

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> You can apply the fix for the error.
>

> "The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has been
> truncated" error message when you try to modify or to view GPOs in Windows
> Server 2003, Windows XP Professional, or Windows 2000
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "Jeff_DB" <JeffDB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for input Denis,
> > Ok, I try to add the MMC snap-in from my XPsp2 workstation but it did
> > nothing. (from Page 9 of doc in KB) No window firewall settings were added
> > the policy. Looks exactly the same as it did before.
> >
> > When I go to the Domain Controller and try to look at the group policy I
> get
> > an endless loop of these errors?
> >
> > "The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has been
> > truncated."
> > What does this mean?
> >
> > Is there an ADM file I can just add to our Window 2000SP4 Domain
> controller
> > directly? This seems more logical.
> > Why must this be done from an XP workstation?
> >
> > Other notes:
> > I was logging as an Domain admin.
> > Our system.adm was dated July 17, 2004
> >
> > Any input greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks!
> >

> > "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jeff,
> > >
> > > FYI.
> > >

> > > Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875357
> > >
> > > br,
> > > Denis
> > >
> > > "Jeff_DB" <JeffDB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> has
> > > two

> ideas
> > > as

> policy
> > > is
> anythign

ivwshane

I don't know if this will help but the windows firewall option in the GP app didn't show up untill I installed service pack 2.

Then it showed up under computer configuration-->administrative templates-->network connection-->windows firewall and then click on what applies to you, domain or standard (for single computers or workgroups).