Desktop folders do not open after default Domain policies ..

I recently discovered my default domain policy and default domain
controller policy were missing from my sysvol share on my win2k DC. I
used the recreatedefpol.exe utility to recreate the policies over the
weekend. Everything seemed as it should, numerous errors I was
receiving in my application log went away and I figured all was well.

When I came in this morning, I discovered not only had everyone been
prompted to change their passwords, but if there was a folder on the
desktop, trying to open it would resolve in "This Operation has been
cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
contact your system administrator". This apparently happens with the
my documents folder as well, and even for me, a domain admin. Along
with this, if I right click on Start and try to select Open or Explore,
I get the same thing, but am able to get to windows explorer by using
the start key + E.

Opening folders on the desktop was fine before the recreation of the
default policies, what would have caused this to occur? I looked
through the policies, but couldn't find anything that would cause this.

Thanks-
Brian
2 answers Last reply
More about desktop folders open default domain policies

    Problem solved, embarrasingly enough, everything was working exactly
    how I set it up to work. I had users on the terminal server set up so
    they could not access Drives A, C, or D, so when they clicked on
    anything that was saved there ("My Documents", any folders saved,
    etc.), they got the error.

    What's interesting is my user account, which resides in a separate OU,
    picked up the same policy and applied it locally. While I do log on to
    the terminal server, I had the policy set to apply to the terminal
    server users OU, not the server itself (which I have changed).

    After digging around for awhile I got everything straightened out. :)

    Thanks-
    Brian

    Hi Brian,

    Are you using roaming profiles and redirecting the folders to the server?
    Looks like this is permission issue, and you can dig into the permission to
    see what happened.

    br,
    Denis

    <bpanders71@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I recently discovered my default domain policy and default domain
    > controller policy were missing from my sysvol share on my win2k DC. I
    > used the recreatedefpol.exe utility to recreate the policies over the
    > weekend. Everything seemed as it should, numerous errors I was
    > receiving in my application log went away and I figured all was well.
    >
    > When I came in this morning, I discovered not only had everyone been
    > prompted to change their passwords, but if there was a folder on the
    > desktop, trying to open it would resolve in "This Operation has been
    > cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please
    > contact your system administrator". This apparently happens with the
    > my documents folder as well, and even for me, a domain admin. Along
    > with this, if I right click on Start and try to select Open or Explore,
    > I get the same thing, but am able to get to windows explorer by using
    > the start key + E.
    >
    > Opening folders on the desktop was fine before the recreation of the
    > default policies, what would have caused this to occur? I looked
    > through the policies, but couldn't find anything that would cause this.
    >
    > Thanks-
    > Brian

Default Policy Domain Windows