Desktop Background color via GPO

Greetings,

I am unable to find a way to assign desktop (background color) to a user via
GPO. I can easily assign wallpaper, but not color. Is there a way to do
this?

I know it seems trivial, but I'd like my teachers to be able to determine a
student's network priveledges based on the color of their desktop. Since
student desktops have no icons, this would be a great way for teachers to
view student rights. I know I could vary wallpaper, but that typically takes
two logins to appear. We don't run mandatory profiles and do not wish to do
so. Is there a switch in a GP I'm missing?
1 answer Last reply
More about desktop background color

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:15:06 -0700, "Bear" <Bear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >I am unable to find a way to assign desktop (background color) to a user via
    >GPO. I can easily assign wallpaper, but not color. Is there a way to do
    >this?
    >
    >I know it seems trivial, but I'd like my teachers to be able to determine a
    >student's network priveledges based on the color of their desktop. Since
    >student desktops have no icons, this would be a great way for teachers to
    >view student rights. I know I could vary wallpaper, but that typically takes
    >two logins to appear. We don't run mandatory profiles and do not wish to do
    >so. Is there a switch in a GP I'm missing?

    No.

    You can create a custom ADM file to set Background, a REG_SZ data type to the R G B value at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

    See tip 3259 » Windows 2000 Wallpaper policy.
    in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

    See tip 8532 » Using Administrative Template Files with Registry-Based Group Policy.

Desktops Wallpaper Microsoft Windows