Newbie Q: How to optimize main memory management?

April 28, 2005 1:03:31 PM

Hi PocketPC friends!

I bought a Dell Axim x50v with Windows Mobile 2003 recently and I'm
pretty happy with it. I have a question about how to manage the memory
on it and I can't find info elsewhere, so maybe one of you can help me
out.

I notice when I go to Settings->System->Memory and open the "Main" tab,
it tells me that I have some memory allocated to "Program(s)" and some
allocated to "Storage." I assume that "Main Memory" is roughly
equilvalent to the RAM on a regular computer.

There are also memory allocations I can find under the "Storage Card"
tab which show "Built-in Storage" and "SD Card" I have inserted into
the SD slot. These are equivalent to hard disk storage on a regular
computer, I assume.

So a few questions:

1. It strikes me that "Main Memory" is especially valuable space, that
is more important to manage efficiently than built-in storage and my SD
card. Is that true?

2. Are there things that I *should* and *should not* be storing in
Main memory (as opposed to Built-in Storage or the SD Card)? If so
what general rules should I follow for determining where to store
things? For example: do programs *have* to be stored in main memory,
or do they just run faster if they are stored there? For programs that
I don't run frequently, can I store them on built-in storage?

3. If I should move things around, how do I do it?

4. How can I see what is "stored" in the "storage" part of main
memory?

As for my level of expertise, I'm not a developer, but am fairly
computer savvy. I just don't know this platform very well.

Note that the email attached to this has been deactivated due to
overspam, but I will be looking for responses in the newsgroup thread.

Thanks for any help!
Cheers,
Bruce
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b G Storage
April 28, 2005 3:14:48 PM

Bruce,

Welcome to P/PC land....

1. As a general rule you are correct. Main Memory is finite where Storage
Cards - which range in sizes and can be interchanged - are not so-to-speak.

2. This is just from my personal experience only, nothing documented by
Microsoft to support this thought. I have found that if it touched the
Today screen in anyway, store it in main memory. By touching the Today
screen, I mean anything like Today Plug-in's, PIM replacements (SBSH
PocketBreeze or Spb Diary or PocketPlus, etc). I've just found that they
behave better when installed in main memory over a memory card.

3. When you install an application via ActiveSync, you will be presented a
dialog box asking if you want to install it into the default location
(translate Main Memory). If you select No, a second box with a pull down
menu is presented allowing you to store it in your storage card or iPaq
Store.

4. You can use File Manager to view where files are located on both your
P/PCs main memory and your storage card.

Hope this helps,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Bruce" <brucebiz@springmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi PocketPC friends!
>
> I bought a Dell Axim x50v with Windows Mobile 2003 recently and I'm
> pretty happy with it. I have a question about how to manage the memory
> on it and I can't find info elsewhere, so maybe one of you can help me
> out.
>
> I notice when I go to Settings->System->Memory and open the "Main" tab,
> it tells me that I have some memory allocated to "Program(s)" and some
> allocated to "Storage." I assume that "Main Memory" is roughly
> equilvalent to the RAM on a regular computer.
>
> There are also memory allocations I can find under the "Storage Card"
> tab which show "Built-in Storage" and "SD Card" I have inserted into
> the SD slot. These are equivalent to hard disk storage on a regular
> computer, I assume.
>

> So a few questions:
>
> 1. It strikes me that "Main Memory" is especially valuable space, that
> is more important to manage efficiently than built-in storage and my SD
> card. Is that true?
>
> 2. Are there things that I *should* and *should not* be storing in
> Main memory (as opposed to Built-in Storage or the SD Card)? If so
> what general rules should I follow for determining where to store
> things? For example: do programs *have* to be stored in main memory,
> or do they just run faster if they are stored there? For programs that
> I don't run frequently, can I store them on built-in storage?
>
> 3. If I should move things around, how do I do it?
>
> 4. How can I see what is "stored" in the "storage" part of main
> memory?
>

> As for my level of expertise, I'm not a developer, but am fairly
> computer savvy. I just don't know this platform very well.
>
> Note that the email attached to this has been deactivated due to
> overspam, but I will be looking for responses in the newsgroup thread.
>

> Thanks for any help!
> Cheers,
> Bruce

April 28, 2005 4:36:12 PM

One thing that I found with the new version of AvantGO is that I can no
longer run it from my SD card.
http://avantgo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/avantgo.cfg/php/end...*&p_li=

I wonder if I should still try doing this. I like AvantGO, but I think the
install for everything cached should belong to the SD card and not main
memory.

--
Nick W
GamerTag: StalkerofHades

"Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> card. Is that true?
>>
>> 2. Are there things that I *should* and *should not* be storing in
>> Main memory (as opposed to Built-in Storage or the SD Card)? If so
>> what general rules should I follow for determining where to store
>> things? For example: do programs *have* to be stored in main memory,
>> or do they just run faster if they are stored there? For programs that
>> I don't run frequently, can I store them on built-in storage?
>>
>> 3. If I should move things around, how do I do it?
>>
>> 4. How can I see what is "stored" in the "storage" part of main
>> memory?
>>

>> As for my level of expertise, I'm not a developer, but am fairly
>> computer savvy. I just don't know this platform very well.
>>
>> Note that the email attached to this has been deactivated due to
>> overspam, but I will be looking for responses in the newsgroup thread.

May 3, 2005 2:42:22 AM

In message <e#bHgBBTFHA.1896@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "Nick"
<nfwilson@hotmail.com> wrote:
> One thing that I found with the new version of AvantGO is that I can no
> longer run it from my SD card.

http://avantgo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/avantgo.cfg/php/end...*&p_li=

> I wonder if I should still try doing this. I like AvantGO, but I think the
> install for everything cached should belong to the SD card and not main
> memory.
>
> --
> Nick W
> GamerTag: StalkerofHades
> nfwilson@nospam.hotmail.com

I've ran it from my sd card and it works but painfully slow.

hth,
dean
!