Buy or Build (first time builder)

mjflath

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
It's time to replace my home system and I'm debating whether to build or buy. Not looking to OC and need to stay in the $2K range. System will be used for digital photography (Photoshop) and gaming (WoW, MS FS).

Here's the build specs I was considering...

Case: Cooler Master Stacker RC-832 (Bigger than what I need, but room for growth :wink: )
PSU: CoolMax CUG-700B ATX 700W
Mobo: eVGA 122-CK-NF68-TR 680 sli
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2GB 240 DDR2 800
Video: eVGA 640-P2-N821 8800GTS (or should I go with 2 cheaper boards with SLI?)
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 320GB (x2)

Aside from audio and DVD burner, what other components would I need...cpu cooler?

On the buy side, I was looking at abs, velocity micro, ibuypower, and digitalstorm. Any of those I should stay away from?

Thanks for the feedback!
Matt

Aita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Ive only had experience with ibuypower and ABS here's what i haIbuypower- was first company i was going to use to get a comp for my bro (2 years ago) they had good prices and warranties however when i called to ask them about one of their components, they told me they didnt offer it. when i brought up that it was on their website, he denied it anyway. Then i ordered the comp anyway and got double charged, returned the comp and had to wait 4 months to see any money. Not very good service however this again ws 2 years ago.

ABS- this is the company that built my brothers current comp. very good customer service and fairly knowledgable tech help. only problem that i've heard of was replacement of defective parts. Hew had to wait twice as long (three times) for the part as they said it would take. Other than that no problems.

Personally I say build yourself. you wont be locked down to some generic mobo and will be able to get more for less, so unless your in love with waiting on the phones for tech help or replacement parts, build it yourself. to get want you spec'd out usually goes for 2500-3000 from most custom build sites. you could build that yourself for 1800 to 2000(or less) inlcluding drives hope this helps -Aita

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
looks good, dont sli two lower end cards, its not worth it. it would make a great system to oc. i would also change the psu to this OCZ GameXStream 700W
as for the build/buy thing, price around. you'll find out its much cheaper to build

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
u might want to wait for ATI new card R600 coming out april. They already tested Pre R600 vs 8800 and beat the hell of nvidia. Ended up being much faster and 25% better image quality.Also, u might want to wait for the new amd comig out along with ati. AMD cas claim to recrown again. Intel cant declare itself winner since we havent seen amd new cpu. Just wait,see, then make a decision. Dont be a manufacture fan.