E6600 and Vista 64Bit

prplvelvet

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
So I am thinking of upgrading to Vista shortly.

Would the 64Bit version run on the E660?

Would it be worth going with the 64bit version?

prplvelvet

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Thanks for your expertise advice.

Glad to see you finally got 5000 posts.
Not all that difficult I imagine with replies like that.

Well here is the exact breakdown of what I'm talking about. All Intel desktop processors since the Pentium 4 / Celeron D have EM64T, which is Intel's implementation of the 64bit executer (incidentally they borrowed AMD's 64bit executer). Therefore, these new Core 2 Duo's are 64bit capable. As for 64bit Vista, unless you need to run 64bit programs or will be using more than 4GB of RAM in your system its really not necessary. Wait for at least a couple of years before venturing into the 64bit field. By then the majority of software designers will have their programs 64bit ready.

And by the way, before you ever go making assumptions about someones history here, do something called a profile search. It'll keep you from being flamed. Especially when talking about posting patterns. :mrgreen:

And have fun with your Core 2. Don't forget to overclock it.

Talin

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
Just to expand on previous folks posts. I'm currently running Windows XP x64 on my Core2 6600. It works great, "except", as was also mentioned, good luck at times finding software and/or drivers. I ran into an issue, for example, when I tried to get some overclocking software for my Nvidia 8800gtx. You can find it for x64 Vista, but not XP-64. I hear it's similar in reverse for some things. As to what and where you'll notice a difference using the 64bit version... I disagree with many who said it was pointless to load x64 on a gaming rig, but I figured I'd try it anyway. I'm currently running it and it seems to do great for gaming, video and music, which is primarily what I use my computer for.

While benchmarks tell some of the story, you really don't know till you try it with what you are working with, or by stating exactly what you are trying to do with it. If you're doing Photoshop or something like that, 64 bit is the way to go, in general. If you're running 1gb ram and doing basic MS Word, you probably won't notice much difference by going x64. I find that almost everything that I want to run in the 64-bit environment is available or compatible, though as I mentioned, some of the nifty utilities that you can download from various websites are often not created to work in the 64 bit environment.

That's not to say the old 32-bit apps won't work, but some will tell you that you can't even install them because they aren't designed for your system. From what I've read, this trend continues in Vista.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I don't expect "64bit" to be common for at least a year or so.
If you already have XP, just keep using it. Then make the jump to 64bit Vista when you need to.

MaxxBeaver

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Forgive my noob ignorance, but to expand on his question a bit...

I've read posts (mostly on Newegg and other sites where people complained about dealing with Microsoft concerning upgrading OEM OS. If you were building a new system would you buy the XP 32bit OEM OS, a retail version of XP 32bit, or go ahead and buy the 32bit OEM Vista with respect to their future upgradeability to Vista 64?

What would be the most effective way of dealing with Microsoft to get to the future Vista 64bit?

MaxxBeaver

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I realize the brand new Vista system is not optimum until they work out the bugs, but the question remains, as far as dealing with Microsoft for upgrades what path would you take?

I’ve only had retail versions of OS, I was going to go the OEM route, would you buy the XP OEM with an upgrade certificate? Can you wait a half a year to upgrade?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I've read posts (mostly on Newegg and other sites where people complained about dealing with Microsoft concerning upgrading OEM OS. If you were building a new system would you buy the XP 32bit OEM OS, a retail version of XP 32bit, or go ahead and buy the 32bit OEM Vista with respect to their future upgradeability to Vista 64?

I actually just build a new system (kinda), and i went with an OEM, 32bit, version of XP Pro.

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004

What would be the most effective way of dealing with Microsoft to get to the future Vista 64bit?

Don't sweat the OEM version. NewEgg sells the OEM versions of XP with coupons to upgrade to Vista, so it should be a non-issue. I've got 2 comps running XP MCE and XP 64 bit. Media Center Edition has a built in media file converter and some Professional features. My biggest beef with 64 bit is drivers and software. No 64 bit support for Zone Alarm. I've got burning software that has issues accessing drives....a bunch of stupid stuff. I'd DEFINITELY wait to go Vista. Out for 2 days and there's several patches out. You can get XP from newegg and redeem your coupon for Vista and WAIT. Let them fix all the bugs we'll soon learn about with the OS. I think the coupons are good until March purchases.

I’ve only had retail versions of OS, I was going to go the OEM route, would you buy the XP OEM with an upgrade certificate? Can you wait a half a year to upgrade?

I'm not sure how long you can wait before using the coupon, but I'm sure the certificate itself will tell you. If it were me, yes I would buy the OEM version of Windows XP and then wait as long as possible to upgrade; within a month before the certificate expires.

The longer you wait, the more likely optimized drivers will be made available by the various manufactures out there.

Personally, I will not upgrade to Windows Vista until Service Pack 1 is available. Besides Microsoft has openly stated they will be supporting Windows XP Pro until at least 2011. I've been using Win XP Pro since 2002.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

I will personally stay with XP. Then get Vista 64 (OEM) when I need 64 bit. I do not suggest Vista 32 (unless you are getting a brand new PC)