W2K Hardening

newbie

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi,

I have setup account, user rights, settings for log file, services and
registry for a stanalone W2K machine
using the manual way.

How can I possibly export these settings to an .inf and apply them on
another machine?

Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi,

You should be able to use

secedit /export /cfg config.inf

to export the policy from Windows 2000 computer. Take the inf file to
another Windows 2000 computer and import it using

secedit /import /cfg config.cfg

option.

I hope this helps,

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security

"newbie" <newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have setup account, user rights, settings for log file, services and
> registry for a stanalone W2K machine
> using the manual way.
>
> How can I possibly export these settings to an .inf and apply them on
> another machine?
>
> Thanks in advance

newbie

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi,

Thanks a lot. Just curious, can this be achieve using the GUI - security
configuration analysis/security templates.

Thanks.

"Miha Pihler [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You should be able to use
>
> secedit /export /cfg config.inf
>
> to export the policy from Windows 2000 computer. Take the inf file to
> another Windows 2000 computer and import it using
>
> secedit /import /cfg config.cfg
>
> option.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> --
> Mike
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
>
> "newbie" <newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have setup account, user rights, settings for log file, services and
> > registry for a stanalone W2K machine
> > using the manual way.
> >
> > How can I possibly export these settings to an .inf and apply them on
> > another machine?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Export is available on the Security setting node.
In my experience, for W2k this has been less than reliable, as
at some point secedit /export broke, and anyway, it did/does
not export all that you have mentioned but only the security
settings (i.e. not the filesystem, the registry, etc.)
What I have found necessary is use of the SCE Templates and
the SCE Analysis and Config snapins to define a new template
(in the first of these) and to import and test (with the second,
clearing the database with each import of the template) by
analyzing, until one gets a template that is perfect match.
The template is transportable (to extent that no custom groups
have been used in User Rights statements or ACL definitions).

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)