Dodge, Mobility, and max DEX bonus

Ok, weird question that just occurred to me for no reason: Let's say you
have the Dodge and Mobility feats, but you then put on full plate armor,
which cuts your DEX bonus to +1. According the description of these two
feats, any kind of penalty that affects the DEX bonus also affects these
two bonuses. For Dodge, you would still get the +1 to AC, but with
Mobility the +4 would be reduced to +1.

My question is, would they still be cumulative because they are dodge
modifiers, or would you only get a total of +1 because of the max DEX
penalty?

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:44:34 -0500, John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

>Ok, weird question that just occurred to me for no reason: Let's say you
>have the Dodge and Mobility feats, but you then put on full plate armor,
>which cuts your DEX bonus to +1. According the description of these two
>feats, any kind of penalty that affects the DEX bonus also affects these
>two bonuses. For Dodge, you would still get the +1 to AC, but with
>Mobility the +4 would be reduced to +1.
>
>My question is, would they still be cumulative because they are dodge
>modifiers, or would you only get a total of +1 because of the max DEX
>penalty?

The max Dex bonus _only_ applies to your Dex bonus to AC. It has no effect
on Dodge, Mobility, or anything else that gives you a dodge bonus to AC.

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"

Hong Ooi wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:44:34 -0500, John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Ok, weird question that just occurred to me for no reason: Let's say you
>>have the Dodge and Mobility feats, but you then put on full plate armor,
>>which cuts your DEX bonus to +1. According the description of these two
>>feats, any kind of penalty that affects the DEX bonus also affects these
>>two bonuses. For Dodge, you would still get the +1 to AC, but with
>>Mobility the +4 would be reduced to +1.
>>
>>My question is, would they still be cumulative because they are dodge
>>modifiers, or would you only get a total of +1 because of the max DEX
>>penalty?
>

> The max Dex bonus _only_ applies to your Dex bonus to AC. It has no effect
> on Dodge, Mobility, or anything else that gives you a dodge bonus to AC.

Well, the manual says: "A condition that negates a Dexterity bonus to AC
also negates any dodge bonuses." This clause is listed under both feats.

John Salerno wrote:
> Well, the manual says: "A condition that negates a Dexterity bonus to AC
> also negates any dodge bonuses." This clause is listed under both feats.

In this case, "condition" is something such as being caught flat-footed,
or having an attack of opportunity against you or being Held, etc.
Wearing heavy armor is not a "condition that negates a Dexterity bonus
to AC". The Max DEX Bonus on armor is just there to kind of keep all
armor "equal". E.g. padded Armor + 28 DEX = +9 to AC; full plate + any
DEX over 11 = +9 to AC.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications