Your question

Strange issue with IE 6

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
September 19, 2006 2:26:51 PM

Long story short... I recently had a virus/malware. :x It was one of those Internet security BS ones that try to get you to buy thier software. I got rid of it. The problem now is everytime I try to enter something into my IE address bar and hit "Go", I am disconnected from my broadband and the dial-up window pops up. After this I just hit Home or go to a favorite. I then get the "connect or work offline" window. I just connect and everything's fine. I assume it's just a matter of ticking or unticking a box in Internet options>Advanced or changing a network setting but I can't find it. Any ideas??? :? :?

More about : strange issue

September 19, 2006 5:27:00 PM

Tools => Internet Options => Connection tab

Have you checked the settings there? Are you actually using dial-up, or some sort of broadband?
September 19, 2006 7:58:44 PM

That was it. Duh. I feel stupid now. 8O It was set to "Dial when network not present" I switched it to "never dial" and that fixed it. Thanx :D 
Related resources
September 19, 2006 7:59:01 PM

That was it. Duh. I feel stupid now. 8O It was set to "Dial when network not present" I switched it to "never dial" and that fixed it. Thanx :D 
September 20, 2006 11:27:22 AM

Run antispyware. I had that problem too. Use a good program like Spy Sweeper or Spyware Doctor to remove it permamently, other wise it may come back at the next reboot.
!