Cached roaming profiles automatically deleted

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Situation:
150 users logon to more than 10 different machines.
Roaming profiles are configured.
Domain functional level = W2K
Clients = XP SP1
New company policy = Remove all roaming profiles and configure them locally
on all different machines.
Current config:
Local cached roaming profiles are deleted after logoff.
Domain policy: Computer Configuration\Administrative
Templates\System\Logon\delete cached copies of roaming profiles -> Not
configured
Local policy: computer configuration\Administrative
templates\system\userprofiels\delete cached copies of roaming profiles ->
Disabled
!cached local roaming profiles are still deleted after logoff!
Way forward:
Leave the cached local profiles on the computers and reconfigure the profile
in AD.
Questions:
What other policies could force the deletion of the cached local profile?
Any other ideas to reconfigure the profiles locally instead of leaving the
cached roaming profiles and reconfigure the profile in AD?

Thanks,

Greg

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:36:44 -0700, "greg" <greg@news.postalias> wrote:

>Situation:
>150 users logon to more than 10 different machines.
>Roaming profiles are configured.
>Domain functional level = W2K
>Clients = XP SP1
>New company policy = Remove all roaming profiles and configure them locally
>on all different machines.
>Current config:
>Local cached roaming profiles are deleted after logoff.
>Domain policy: Computer Configuration\Administrative
>Templates\System\Logon\delete cached copies of roaming profiles -> Not
>configured
>Local policy: computer configuration\Administrative
>templates\system\userprofiels\delete cached copies of roaming profiles ->
>Disabled
>!cached local roaming profiles are still deleted after logoff!
>Way forward:
>Leave the cached local profiles on the computers and reconfigure the profile
>in AD.
>Questions:
>What other policies could force the deletion of the cached local profile?
>Any other ideas to reconfigure the profiles locally instead of leaving the
>cached roaming profiles and reconfigure the profile in AD?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Greg

A registry entry.

See tip 0106 » Roaming profiles consume disk space.
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

"" wrote:
> Situation:
> 150 users logon to more than 10 different machines.
> Roaming profiles are configured.
> Domain functional level = W2K
> Clients = XP SP1
> New company policy = Remove all roaming profiles and configure
> them locally
> on all different machines.
> Current config:
> Local cached roaming profiles are deleted after logoff.
> Domain policy: Computer ConfigurationAdministrative
> TemplatesSystemLogondelete cached copies of roaming
> profiles -> Not
> configured
> Local policy: computer configurationAdministrative
> templatessystemuserprofielsdelete cached copies of roaming
> profiles ->
> Disabled
> !cached local roaming profiles are still deleted after logoff!
> Way forward:
> Leave the cached local profiles on the computers and
> reconfigure the profile
> in AD.
> Questions:
> What other policies could force the deletion of the cached
> local profile?
> Any other ideas to reconfigure the profiles locally instead of
> leaving the
> cached roaming profiles and reconfigure the profile in AD?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

Hi,

If you take away roaming profiles from the Users Profiles tab then
they will logon creating a Local Profile. As local profiles aren’t
deleted on logoff anywhere (only roaming ones) they should be fine.
The only other thing to delete them would be a startup script. I have
one setup to remove all profiles on restart.

Local profiles may cause you a lot of headaches because users won’t
have consistency across the computers.

There is one more GPO to check in Default Domain or Computer -
Computers Configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local
Policies - Security Options - "Interactive Logon - Number of previous
logons to cache". I set mine to 0 to delete all roaming profiles.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Cached-roaming-profiles-automatically-deleted-ftopict415193.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1384403

Hello Greg,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

I'd like to thanks a lot for Jerold and Lara's kindly advice. Their
suggestions should be helpful to you.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Newsgroup Web Interface Upgrade
Please complete a one-time registration process on your first visit to the
Partner Portal beginning July 11, 2005 at 9 A.M. PST by entering the secure
code mspp2005 when prompted. This secure code will be valid for 6 months
after which you will need to update your registration by entering the new
secure code. We will post announcements in the newsgroups prior to
expiration. Once you have entered the secure code mspp2005 , you will be
able to update your profile and access the the partner newsgroups. Please
update your Favorites link to the newsgroups web page, your current link
will redirect until November 1, 2005.
Please post any comment, questions or concerns to the
microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback newsgroup. For more
information, please go to:
https://partner.microsoft.com/global/technicalsupport/registeredsupport/4001
4662