mavrik36

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I picked up a few parts from work that were being tossed. I found a graphics card that I am trying to identify. The only markings I can find are ATI and a little sticker which reads 128 Pro. The rest of the numbers are gibberish to me. It probably came out of a Dell Dimension about 4 years ago if that helps.

Any ideas on what I should be looking for?

Thanks for your help

xaat_kil

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
ATI started naming cards "Pro" with the 9000 series. I'd check it out myself and see if it works. Spare parts for testing old systems or giving to people who have even less than the 9700 or 9800 pro that may be. It'll kick the ass of most onboard AGP-era stuff, and play UT2K4 just fine. If it's a 9200 or something, then it's crap, but better than a black screen if someone needs a card. Higher numbers are better, generally.

mavrik36

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Thank for your help on that. I guess I didn't figure it would be as easy as googling the number. I shouldn't underestimate the power of google.

It turns out it is better than the one in the computer I gave my sister a few years ago. It's always a good day when I can make my sister smile by giving her trash :twisted:

It looks just like that one, except mine doesn't have the ATI rage logo on it, probably a Dell special...as for morons buying it, Mac users are as smart as the commercials make them out to be :roll: http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3317/.f?sc=2&category=42

xaat_kil

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
You're right-I'd forgot about the really old ATI stuff. That'd be more than 4 years old though. I have a Rage chip on a P2 350 board still working (pathetically) here, but thankfully not plugged in anymore.

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
ATI started naming cards "Pro" with the 9000 series. I'd check it out myself and see if it works. Spare parts for testing old systems or giving to people who have even less than the 9700 or 9800 pro that may be. It'll kick the ass of most onboard AGP-era stuff, and play UT2K4 just fine. If it's a 9200 or something, then it's crap, but better than a black screen if someone needs a card. Higher numbers are better, generally.

It's apparent that you didn't read the whole thread before making this post, and that you don't know what you're talking about.

mpjesse

Splendid
My wife's used tampon is worth more than that video card.

You should have left it in the garbage.

damn jesse 8O im trying to eat right now and you made me
almost puke :x

what's wrong, you've never banged ur girlfriend while she's on the rag? i banged a chic once who had a pad on. aromatic.

xaat_kil

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
You're right I didn't know a whole helluvalot there-lol :oops: Just wanted to make him take a second look as early posters were suggesting it should be thrown away. Useful as spare parts, or as he has said, putting into his sister's computer.
Apologies - Dang that was some killer ganj apparently.

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Heh this is an old rig...

AMD K6/2 550mhz
Unknown mobo
40gb hard drive (a maxtor something)
256mb of some random RAM
ATI 3D Rage Pro on PCI
WinXP Home

Yeh this is an ancient thing...

Anyways... keep the card for future builds; you might need a PCI card to boot to BIOS to setup a PCI-e card.

lexluthermiester

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006

What is it with this guy? Someone asks an honest question and he's gotta belittle them for it?

mpjesse, you gotta be a frickin' dillhole to everyone, don't ya... Is that you're pathetic little goal in life? To insult and degrade every noob that comes into the these forums?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

What is it with this guy? Someone asks an honest question and he's gotta belittle them for it?

mpjesse, you gotta be a frickin' dillhole to everyone, don't ya... Is that you're pathetic little goal in life? To insult and degrade every noob that comes into the these forums?

easily offended i see.

i thought it was pretty funny myself.

p.s. i didnt see any insult in that.

mpjesse

Splendid

While it's true I've been known to insult noobs, I don't insult those who ask good questions. I wasn't insulting this particular poster. But perhaps I offended him... to which I do not care. On this particular post my goal was to illustrate (graphically) how useless a Rage 128 video card is. I think I got my point across rather eloquently if you ask me.

And for the record, my goal in life is to raise successful children.

Thx,

-mpjesse

lexluthermiester

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006

FYI, ATI started using the "PRO" naming scheme with the Mach 32[VLB anyone remember those days?] series cards, back in the day they were the shizz.