SATA-3G ATA connecting with Laptop

barone

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Hi .....I just bought a new SATA ATA hard-disk, and want to use it as a storage disk by connecting with my laptop, I had a hard-disk case from before but the cables dont seem to match..........can anyone tell me what kind of enclosure I should buy for my new HD ......its a SATA 3G; as you can see my knowledge of computers is very lacking, even while buying the hard disk I hadnt noticed if the cable would be compatible with the enclosure or not. Can it be made compatible at all ?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You'll need an enclosure with an internal SATA connector to connect the drive. As for the external connection you definitely want USB but a lot of enclosures also come with firewire and eSATA. You'd probably use the eSATA with your primary desk top. With the external USB you can connect to any computer. I have an enclosure with both firewire and USB and honestly didn't really notice a difference. Do a power search at newegg for enclosures with an internal SATA connection.

mpjesse

Splendid
yeah, like g-paw said, get an enclosure with eSATA & USB connections. it'll definitely come in handy. though, i think if you're going to switch connections you must reformat. but i'm not 100% sure on that. windows treats USB drives different from SATA drives connected via eSATA.

still, it adds flexibility.