fred_likes_fish

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
You mean ATI doesn't exist as a stand alone company?
ATI as a brand and product still exists.

I thought ATI was now a division of AMD?

How long has AMD had ties with NVIDIA? I didn't know that.

Anyway, I still wouldn't have thought that AMD/ATI would advertise to sell one of their top competitors products on their own website.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
ATI is a division of AMD. For now, ATI products will still be marketed as ATI products. Though, that could change with the R600.

I believe it would be a smart move for AMD to use "AMD" as the only branded name on it.

fred_likes_fish

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Yeah I know. I get the car analogy. I also get that ATI is now a division of AMD.

I just didn't know that AMD ever had agreements with NVIDIA, and why AMD would ever advertise NVIDIA products when they own ATI. No matter how good friends they are. Except in the case of a currently existing contract.

@ajfink - I think this would also be a smart move, but i think keeping the ATI name with maybe a little "by AMD" next to it. :)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
You mean ATI doesn't exist as a stand alone company?
ATI as a brand and product still exists.

I thought ATI was now a division of AMD?

How long has AMD had ties with NVIDIA? I didn't know that.

Anyway, I still wouldn't have thought that AMD/ATI would advertise to sell one of their top competitors products on their own website.

You answered your own question. ATI is a brand. Just as Mercury and Lincoln are brand names, but both are divisions of and owned by the Ford Motor Company. So is ATI owned by AMD, but still a brand name of its own, producing products.

Bloated

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
I'm a little confused, and also a little angry. It seems so stupid.
it's not a war and it's not an ideology it's business and whatever makes money is good and accepted.

why angry?.... doese AMD/ATI or Nvidia quality suffer because they all sell products......why angry?

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Don't know what to say about that.Seems a little strange that they would have an nvidia advertisment when they own ati.I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE (soon 2b crucial balistix ddr500)
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Well, during AMD's reigning period, the best chipsets were produced by nVidia (nforce4 series, so on and so forth), and AMD also promised that their ties with nVidia won't change even after ATi buy out, so... I can see the reason about the link to nVidia's products

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Very sleepy ...

I'm running an AMD chip. The M/B has an Nvidia chipset. I will be running a video card with an Nvidia chipset as soon as the BBT gets here. What's the question?

Your eyelids are getting heavy ...

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Lol, AMD-ATI has been advertising a Core 2 Extreme on their own website for a while... :lol: