File Association and Group Policies and Windows XP

Can I add a file association in Windows XP using group policies? I want to
configure all Windows XP workstations to open files ending in .fax with
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I do not want to visit all workstations.
Any suggestions?

I am running a Windows 2003 network.

Thanks
JD
2 answers Last reply
More about file association group policies windows

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:04:04 -0700, "JD" <JD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Can I add a file association in Windows XP using group policies? I want to
    >configure all Windows XP workstations to open files ending in .fax with
    >Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I do not want to visit all workstations.
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >I am running a Windows 2003 network.
    >
    >Thanks
    >JD

    See tip 9700 » How can I configure .fax files to open in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?
    at http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBT/tip9700/rh9700.htm

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:04:04 -0700, "JD" <JD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Can I add a file association in Windows XP using group policies? I want to
    >configure all Windows XP workstations to open files ending in .fax with
    >Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I do not want to visit all workstations.
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >I am running a Windows 2003 network.
    >
    >Thanks
    >JD

    I forgot to mention you can use PsExec, tip 4141 » PsExec freeware executes programs remotely.
    in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

    or you can change HKCR to \\Computer\HKLM\Software\Classes

Windows XP Workstations File Association Windows