File Association and Group Policies and Windows XP

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 31, 2005 6:04:04 PM

Can I add a file association in Windows XP using group policies? I want to
configure all Windows XP workstations to open files ending in .fax with
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I do not want to visit all workstations.
Any suggestions?

I am running a Windows 2003 network.

Thanks
JD
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:31:01 PM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:04:04 -0700, "JD" <JD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can I add a file association in Windows XP using group policies? I want to
>configure all Windows XP workstations to open files ending in .fax with
>Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I do not want to visit all workstations.
>Any suggestions?
>
>I am running a Windows 2003 network.
>
>Thanks
>JD

See tip 9700 » How can I configure .fax files to open in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?
at http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBT/tip9700/rh9700.htm
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:41:11 PM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:04:04 -0700, "JD" <JD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can I add a file association in Windows XP using group policies? I want to
>configure all Windows XP workstations to open files ending in .fax with
>Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I do not want to visit all workstations.
>Any suggestions?
>
>I am running a Windows 2003 network.
>
>Thanks
>JD

I forgot to mention you can use PsExec, tip 4141 » PsExec freeware executes programs remotely.
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

or you can change HKCR to \\Computer\HKLM\Software\Classes
!