Anybody holding out for AMD Quad core?

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Is there anyone out there like me who is waiting until AMD releases its quad core chips before abandoning their current 939 dual core setup? Sure, core2 duo is the new hotness and its rather tempting, but is there any potential for AMD's quad core to out-pace intels quad core offering later this year?

Bloated

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
I don't even care about Intel's quad core let alone AMD's ....... you have a socket 939 platform and I'd reccomend you wait because the 939 cpu's are plenty fast despite what marketing hype generators would have you believe.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Frankly I'm holding out till AMD picks a freaking socket and sticks with it... I'm sure their new chips will do better than all stock intel stuff, but as for overclockability and after penry comes out? idk anymore... sometimes pcs with their prices and platform who-ha just make me sick...

Bloated

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Frankly I'm holding out till AMD picks a freaking socket and sticks with it
I doubt that will ever happen and it's the same situation with Intel.

AMD actually stuck with 939 and Socket A for quite a while and they were compatible.

Intel on the other hand has been pretty good with socket 775 although they keep making older boards obsolete by raising the front side bus, changing the chips slightly so they won't be compatible.....

2 years is all anyone can hope for and AM2 will be around that long at least.

MrMr

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I'm not one to hold out for anything. I've been AMD for over 8 years. I found Intel had nothing new to offer during that time, other than increases in FSB. Even from the 478 to 775, performance was marginal at best. My AMD was all over that s**t. But the second I saw the C2D in action I was sold. When AMD releases better performing chip, I'll be all over it. And vice versa. I may be an ATI fanboy, BUT when it comes to processors, I'm a performance fanboy.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
:wink: Yep , thats exactly what im doin. besides can the end user REALLY tell the difference between the conroe and K8??? Aside from what the fanboys spit (both sides) the two are close. Now im not a fanboy, but I think an enhanced K8 alone would tie the conroe 8O