Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Deleting registry keys with Group Policies

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 6:10:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

I've created some ADM templates for my Group Policies and there's still a
couple of things we do with REG files run by the logon script, like adding
keys and deleting some that are created back at logon.

Is there a way to delete a registry key in an ADM template or using GPO
themselves?

Thanks
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 6:10:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Use the Registry Extension by DesktopStandard (www.desktopstandard.com).
There, you can browse to the key, value that you want to modify or delete.
No more coding of ADMs!

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
derekm@braincore.net
"Mario Lavigne" <stinkymario@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o HtOvByrFHA.3836@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> I've created some ADM templates for my Group Policies and there's still a
> couple of things we do with REG files run by the logon script, like adding
> keys and deleting some that are created back at logon.
>
> Is there a way to delete a registry key in an ADM template or using GPO
> themselves?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 5:31:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

I've checked this product, while it is really nice, I'd rather try to make
an adm that does not require an installation on my clients PCs.

Any thoughts on another solution?

Thanks!

Mario Lavigne


"Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
uTksagzrFHA.332@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Use the Registry Extension by DesktopStandard (www.desktopstandard.com).
> There, you can browse to the key, value that you want to modify or delete.
> No more coding of ADMs!
>
> --
> Derek Melber
> BrainCore.Net
> derekm@braincore.net
> "Mario Lavigne" <stinkymario@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o HtOvByrFHA.3836@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>
>> I've created some ADM templates for my Group Policies and there's still a
>> couple of things we do with REG files run by the logon script, like
>> adding
>> keys and deleting some that are created back at logon.
>>
>> Is there a way to delete a registry key in an ADM template or using GPO
>> themselves?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>
>>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 7:59:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi Mario,

I think it is not possible to delete a key.

br,
Denis

"Mario Lavigne" <stinkymario@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:et4LSQ%23rFHA.4044@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I've checked this product, while it is really nice, I'd rather try to make
> an adm that does not require an installation on my clients PCs.
>
> Any thoughts on another solution?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mario Lavigne
>
>
> "Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> a écrit dans le message de
news:
> uTksagzrFHA.332@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Use the Registry Extension by DesktopStandard (www.desktopstandard.com).
> > There, you can browse to the key, value that you want to modify or
delete.
> > No more coding of ADMs!
> >
> > --
> > Derek Melber
> > BrainCore.Net
> > derekm@braincore.net
> > "Mario Lavigne" <stinkymario@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o HtOvByrFHA.3836@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >>
> >> I've created some ADM templates for my Group Policies and there's still
a
> >> couple of things we do with REG files run by the logon script, like
> >> adding
> >> keys and deleting some that are created back at logon.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to delete a registry key in an ADM template or using GPO
> >> themselves?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
May 4, 2010 9:02:38 PM

Yes! You can delete a registry key with Group Policy.

I can only speak for Server 2008 R1, but it may be possible with older versions of Server or SBS as well.

1) Edit Your Policy Object
2) Navigate to: Computer Configuration/Preferences/Windows Settings/Registry

The next few steps may vary depending on your needs.

3)Right click on "Registry" in the GP-editing tree, select New--> [your choice]
I tried the Registry Wizard because I was looking for help with this very problem.

4) Complete the entry of your registry item. I connected to a remote computer and selected the key that I wanted to delete from its registry.
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace/D62779.... The one that makes WinXP check for scheduled tasks on remote computers.

5) Navigate to your newly added registry key in the GP editor, and edit its properties

6) Under the General tab, change the Action to Delete.

I know this thread is old, but I found it when I was searching for the same thing, thought I'd add my $0.02
!