Dell Axim 50v networking

a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 10:16:16 PM

Hi Everyone

I have just purchased a Dell Axim and I am trying to network it with my
works network and home network.

My works laptop has a wireless connection which is not normally activated,
when I activate the laptop and the Axim they do not see each other??

does anyone have any ideas or can point me somewhere to where I can read up
on this?

thanks for your help

Neil
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 10:16:17 PM

A couple things you might need to check:
Are you using a WEP key? If so, make sure you set that up on the PDA.
Are you being assigned an IP address? Make sure that your PDA has the right
IP scheme. Try to ping it.

Jasper
"Neil Smith" <neil.smith@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone
>
> I have just purchased a Dell Axim and I am trying to network it with my
> works network and home network.
>
> My works laptop has a wireless connection which is not normally activated,
> when I activate the laptop and the Axim they do not see each other??
>
> does anyone have any ideas or can point me somewhere to where I can read
up
> on this?
>
> thanks for your help
>
> Neil

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 10:16:17 PM

Neil Smith wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I have just purchased a Dell Axim and I am trying to network it with
> my works network and home network.
>
> My works laptop has a wireless connection which is not normally
> activated, when I activate the laptop and the Axim they do not see
> each other??
> does anyone have any ideas or can point me somewhere to where I can
> read up on this?
>
> thanks for your help
>
> Neil

If you have no wireless router or access point that connects the laptop
wireless to the network, you can set up Ad-Hoc connectivity on both the
laptop and the ppc to make the connection. It usually helps matters if
first you connect the wired USB sync cable and make one initial sync via
wire, then open the Activesync settings on the laptop and check the box
Enable ethernet.... Disconnect the USB and then after the wireless is
set up on the ppc, select syncronize on it. Go to www.aximsite.com and
find the Wireless FAQ for invaluable information.

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 29, 2005 5:56:06 AM

I've got an Axim too and had problems with wireless networking. I had to
change the WLAN power save mode from Auto to disable. It appears the
wireless aerial wasn't receiving enough power :S

"Neil Smith" wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> I have just purchased a Dell Axim and I am trying to network it with my
> works network and home network.
>
> My works laptop has a wireless connection which is not normally activated,
> when I activate the laptop and the Axim they do not see each other??
>
> does anyone have any ideas or can point me somewhere to where I can read up
> on this?
>
> thanks for your help
>
> Neil

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2005 9:53:22 PM

Hi all
Thanks for your help
I have had the Axim connected through a friends wirless network

I now realise I need a wireless access point for my home router, as for work
I will always have my laptop on the go so I can update it thru the IR
connection.

But for home I need to convert my wired Netgear DG834 router into a wireless
access point, is it possible to get something to plug into the router and
convert it to a wireless access point or will I have to buy a wireless
router??

thanks
Neil

"Ali" <Ali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got an Axim too and had problems with wireless networking. I had to
> change the WLAN power save mode from Auto to disable. It appears the
> wireless aerial wasn't receiving enough power :S
>
> "Neil Smith" wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> I have just purchased a Dell Axim and I am trying to network it with my
>> works network and home network.
>>
>> My works laptop has a wireless connection which is not normally
>> activated,
>> when I activate the laptop and the Axim they do not see each other??
>>
>> does anyone have any ideas or can point me somewhere to where I can read
>> up
>> on this?
>>
>> thanks for your help
>>
>> Neil

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2005 9:53:23 PM

On Mon, 2 May 2005 17:53:22 +0100, "Neil Smith" <neil.smith@zen.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi all
>Thanks for your help
>I have had the Axim connected through a friends wirless network
>
>I now realise I need a wireless access point for my home router, as for work
>I will always have my laptop on the go so I can update it thru the IR
>connection.
>
>But for home I need to convert my wired Netgear DG834 router into a wireless
>access point, is it possible to get something to plug into the router and
>convert it to a wireless access point or will I have to buy a wireless
>router??

Separate wireless access points used to be fairly common, but are now
a bit hard to find, at least in stores. They plug into routers. One
big advantage to having a separate access point is that it can be
turned off when not being used, to save a bit of electricity and
increase security a bit (more below). I have one from DLink. My
company has two from the same company. I think I've seen a couple that
are meant to be especially portable, for use in hotel rooms, but even
mine is small enough. I'm pretty sure the wireless technology
(AirPort?) from Apple is 802.11, so you should check that stuff as
well.

Whatever method you use to go wireless, I strongly recommend taking
some time to configure the access point for security. Folks _do_
wander around snooping. Unfortunately, the setup utilities I've seen
are nerdier than many folks would like. At a minimum, I would restrict
access to an explicit list of network cards; you will need to get the
MAC address of the network interface card (NIC) in your handheld, and
will need to add that to the list in the access point. You should
seriously consider disabling SSID broadcast. I know these are not
clear descriptions, but think any attempt I make to clarify will
instead muddy.

>thanks
>Neil
>
>"Ali" <Ali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've got an Axim too and had problems with wireless networking. I had to
>> change the WLAN power save mode from Auto to disable. It appears the
>> wireless aerial wasn't receiving enough power :S
>>
>> "Neil Smith" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Everyone
>>>
>>> I have just purchased a Dell Axim and I am trying to network it with my
>>> works network and home network.
>>>
>>> My works laptop has a wireless connection which is not normally
>>> activated,
>>> when I activate the laptop and the Axim they do not see each other??
>>>
>>> does anyone have any ideas or can point me somewhere to where I can read
>>> up
>>> on this?
>>>
>>> thanks for your help
>>>
>>> Neil