Linksys Print Server + Canon Printer + Mac

dan6470

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
Hi,

My friend is trying to set up his Linksys print server/Canon printer to use with his Mac (it works perfectly with his PC) and is having trouble. He said he called Apple, Canon, and Linksys and none of them could help him. I haven't had the chance to go over and try to help him yet and I'm not very familiar with Apples, so I thought I would ask around here for any ideas/tips.

Thanks in advance!

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
once you have verified that the Mac has internet access, I suggest going into the apple system preferences (light switch on the dock) and go to network prefs, enable appletalk and then go into print & fax in system prefs (or printer utility in applications\utilities)
add a printer in the default browser view, which looks for any nearby printer in all activated protocols, and see if anything shows up in the list...hopefully the printer has appletalk capabilities, you'll have to get the model and search manufacturer's website for that. you could also try to setup by IP/hostname on the network and see if it works that way also.

dan6470

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
Thanks for your help...I got it to work for him. It turns out the mac was talking perfectly with the print server via IPP and LPD, it was just that it was using the generic printer drivers. I had to find a cups driver for his printer and now it works fine.

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I'm glad I could help, but it sounds like you found most of the info on your own! I actually haven't dealt with any CUPS drivers for Mac, how did you find out you needed it, and where did you get it?

Thanks