add environment variable via group policy

I want to add an environment variable to all members of a security
group - is it possible to do this using group policy, and what other
methods are able to be used?
5 answers Last reply
More about environment variable group policy

    I have a script that can be run to add the variable, but it will only
    add the user variable if I put the account name. The script looks like
    this;

    strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer &
    "\root\cimv2")

    Set objVariable = objWMIService.Get("Win32_Environment").SpawnInstance_

    objVariable.Name = "TEST"
    objVariable.UserName = "DOMAIN\USERNAME"
    objVariable.VariableValue = "This is a test"
    objVariable.Put_

    If I actually put the domain and user name in, it works and adds the
    variable, but I need to be able to convert it into an MSI file and
    deploy it to various machines. I have tried Domain/%username% but that
    does not work. Is there another string that I can put there that adds
    it to the user who is logged in?

    Hi jones,

    Have you tried to put that in the logon script of the affected user
    accounts?

    br,
    Denis

    "jonesy" <stevenjones_6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I want to add an environment variable to all members of a security
    > group - is it possible to do this using group policy, and what other
    > methods are able to be used?

    Hi,

    Denis Wong @ Hong Kong schrieb:
    > Have you tried to put that in the logon script of
    > the affected user accounts?

    Doesn´t work with "set", because this setting is only effective
    to the opened cmd.

    setx can do this globally
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/setx-o.asp

    Another possibility is to set the variable via ADM Template, if
    it is not dynamic, like a IP can be ...

    ---- environment.adm ----
    ; http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de/adm/temp.txt
    ; you have to edit policy, part and valuename
    ; you can extend the ADM by adding further parts

    CLASS USER

    CATEGORY "Userspecific Environment Variables (SET)"
    POLICY "Rename it to your settings ..."
    KEYNAME "Environment"
    PART "Set Name of your var =" EDITTEXT
    VALUENAME NameofyourVar
    END PART
    END POLICY

    END CATEGORY
    ---- environment.adm ----

    HTH
    Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server
    Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de

    Hi,

    jonesy schrieb:
    > I have a script that can be run to add the variable, but it will only
    > add the user variable if I put the account name. The script looks like
    > this; [...]
    > objVariable.Name = "TEST"
    > objVariable.UserName = "DOMAIN\USERNAME"
    > objVariable.VariableValue = "This is a test"
    > objVariable.Put_

    I don´t get it ... must be a reason of very less VB knowledge ;-)
    What is the name of variable you want to define, with the
    value "This is the test"?

    Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server