Case Fan Mounting: Wire Routing

I'm putting several case fans in my case and I'm trying to run the wiring around the case so it's out of view (as much as possible). In some instances, using zip-ties or wire-ties aren't plausable, so I was wondering if hot-glue would work. Would it melt the wires? Would it hold the wires in place, or would it fall off after a few days?

P.S. The wires I plan on hot-glueing in place are just the case fan wires (nothing too large).

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this situation?
12 answers Last reply
More about case mounting wire routing
  1. Thanks for the input. :D

I'm probably going to, at least, try the hot glue, but if it fails like you say, then I'll result to some sort of tape, or maybe even velcro.

Anyone else have any tips n' tricks on securely routing cables?
  2. Quote:
    I'm putting several case fans in my case and I'm trying to run the wiring around the case so it's out of view (as much as possible). In some instances, using zip-ties or wire-ties aren't plausable,

Why not? If you really want to Do_It_Right_¹, drill some holes to allow putting those zip-ties where you want them. Zip ties are nice and cheap but in the long run I stopped using the much of the time because once you get a case tweaked really well, you end up wanting to reuse it but maybe not all of the parts anymore, so you have to cut all those ties unless you are skilled with an xactro knife or dental pick and can pop the zip-tie latch open to reuse them.

When possible I prefer the velcro straps to zip ties (and in conjunction with clips as mentioned below, when needed), I think I got mine from some office superstore, but there are fewer places to use them. Another alternative are the sticky-foam-tape backed zip tie anchors, or latching clasps like these (examples of types, only):

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556021568.html
    http://cableorganizer.com/wire-clips/
    http://cableorganizer.com/cable-clips/
    http://cableorganizer.com/saddles-clips/

Sometimes you can get similar things at office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot, etc), a superstore like Walmart, Electronics Surplus 'sites, or Thrift/Dollar-Stores.

Quote:
    so I was wondering if hot-glue would work. Would it melt the wires? Would it hold the wires in place, or would it fall off after a few days?

Yes, hot glue "can" work, "could" be quick and easy, but it may also be hard to get access to where you'd want to glue some things and tends to be slightly messy. If you don't get the glue hot enough and have a clean (wipe with alcohol first on case) area of attachment and wire it may not adhere as well, and you have to work fairly quickly to get the wire positioned and kept stationary.

Frankly I would not use hot glue, due to the fiddly application, the mess, that it'd look less professional, be more of a pain to clean off if you change things later, etc.

Any "normal" consumer grade hot glue melts at low enough temp that a (normal, made for same type of glue) glue gun won't get it hot enough to effect wire insulation.

EDIT:HOWEVER, the heating element in a glue gun is hotter than the glue coming out (since it has to heat the glue quickly as applied), and that often means the (typical) metal tip on the gun is also hotter than the glue, and such a metal tip is hot enough to melt typical computer wire insulation if you accidentally touched the tip to the wire or other common plastics in a system, practically any type except something exotic like teflon (but teflon wire is not used in computer unless you choose it) could be damaged by direct contact with a typical glue gun tip. [/Edit]

If you get the surfaces clean and work fast enough that the glue is still liquid, it won't degrade over any reasonable (years later) period of time, but too much stress on the wire, like trying to pull it, may easily break the bond. I wouldn't expect that kind of stress on the wire but since we're on the topic I mention it anyway.

My best recommendation is to use adhesive backed cable or wire clips instead, but it's your case so,

-------------------------------

¹ People going to excessive lengths to be tidy, beyond keeping wires out of the way of fans, etc, are insane.
  3. Thank you, I. I brought out my DeWalt battery drill to make a few extra holes like you said. That should work....for now. :D
  4. A lot of people use adhesive tape with plastic retention anchors on them. Basically, a square of double sided tape with a plastic mount and a loop for a zip tie. These work really well, and you can stick them wherever you want.
  5. My vote would be for either of the solutions mentioned above as well. I would stay away form hot glue, and either use the two-sided tape anchor points, or get out the drill / dremel and make a few extra holes where needed. If you don't feel like using zip ties, which can be a pain to cut / move things around later, just use those nice black twist ties that seem to come around a bunch of cabling anyways. cut to length, feed through your anchor point / hole, twist, voila. And easy to change afterwards.

often when powering fans, I find it almost as easy to find somwhere you can sneak the fan connection in between the other side panel and the motherboard tray and just wire all the fans in behind there. There is usually enough of a gap between the side panel and the chassis for the molex connections, and then you don't really have to worry about tying anything down, or how it looks for that matter. After all, how many people ever remove that side panel for anything? :)
  6. Blu-tac? That's what I use, anyway.
  7. What's Blu-tac?
  8. Quote:
    What's Blu-tac?

Yeah, I've never heard of that.

As far as double sided tape goes, it sounds to be the next best alternative, but where can I find it? Perhaps I'm blind, but I've searched newegg for it and came up empty handed.

Links please. :D
  9. 3-M makes some...available at any retailer or hardware store. I have found that the very best, super sticky stuff is actually that outdoor rated carpet tape. It's super sticky and will hold almost anything within reason. Many adhesive vendors also have plastic anchors available, or pick them up at a PC shop.
  10. Blu-tac is the blue stuff like modelling clay that teenagers use to put up posters on walls. You stretch it around a bit, rip off a small piece, and it's like a reusable adheisive. Great stuff for what you're talking about. I've heard of white-tac before... Maybe it's called that in the US?
  11. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=80&zenid=0d1fe116eb66a7921556ff679b238554

All the wiring management you could possibly need here. I use the little cord clips.
  12. Quote:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=80&zenid=0d1fe116eb66a7921556ff679b238554

All the wiring management you could possibly need here. I use the little cord clips.

That's exactly what I was trying to describe...good link.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Fan Components