Apply GP only to wireless user

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting (More info?)

Is there anyway I could setup a new group policy and has it applied only for
user who has logged on from a machine with wireless turned on? I understand
that the user might turn off the wireless after it is logged on, but this is
not the main issue.

The reason is because we have recently enabled the following option in the
Administrative Template of the User Configuration under the Default Domain
Policy:

Screen Saver
Screen Saver executable name
Password protect the screen saver
Screen Saver timeout

However we have found that once the screen saver is activated and then the
wireless user exits the screen saver, the wireless connection is broken.
We have to reboot the laptop so as to be connected wirelessly again.

Regards,
Tony

Tony wrote:
> Is there anyway I could setup a new group policy and has it applied
> only for user who has logged on from a machine with wireless turned
> on? I understand that the user might turn off the wireless after it
> is logged on, but this is not the main issue.
>
> The reason is because we have recently enabled the following option
> in the Administrative Template of the User Configuration under the
> Default Domain Policy:
>
> Screen Saver
> Screen Saver executable name
> Password protect the screen saver
> Screen Saver timeout
>
> However we have found that once the screen saver is activated and
> then the wireless user exits the screen saver, the wireless
> connection is broken. We have to reboot the laptop so as to be
> connected wirelessly again.

Maybe you'll find something is these threads. I didn't do much digging, but
most seem related wireless keyboard/mouse problems

"screen saver" wireless group:microsoft.* - Google Groups
http://groups.google.com/groups?q="screen%20saver"%20wireless%20group:microsoft.*

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft MVP Scripting

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting (More info?)

Are you using 802.11x SWAN?

If so, you might disable the APM options under the screen saver so that your
Wireless NIC doesn't "sleep" on you - or - use the AEGIS for Windows Client
which can re-authenticate the connection when resuming from a sleepish mode.

In message <e53Y0eAtFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Tony
<tony@hotmail.com> writes
>Is there anyway I could setup a new group policy and has it applied only for
>user who has logged on from a machine with wireless turned on?

I am not sure if this is possible. I suppose you could run a login
script, work out via WMI that the system has a working wireless NIC,
then run what you need.

> I understand
>that the user might turn off the wireless after it is logged on, but this is
>not the main issue.

See above.

>The reason is because we have recently enabled the following option in the
>Administrative Template of the User Configuration under the Default Domain
>Policy:
>
>Screen Saver
>Screen Saver executable name
>Password protect the screen saver
>Screen Saver timeout
>
>However we have found that once the screen saver is activated and then the
>wireless user exits the screen saver, the wireless connection is broken.
>We have to reboot the laptop so as to be connected wirelessly again.

Hmmm. This does not seem to be the case here. I'd chase this down first
as IMHO this thould not be happening.

Thomas
--
Thomas Lee