  • Computers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
February 20, 2005 5:01:03 PM

How do I set up a "virtual drive". I need one to mirror my c-drive so other
computers on my peer to peer network can access data files.

More about : virtual drive

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 6:04:46 PM

Why don't you just enable sharing?

"okiebeancounter" <okiebeancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:FC2BBA9F-F31C-4EF6-A727-21D80573D7F8@microsoft.com...
> How do I set up a "virtual drive". I need one to mirror my c-drive so
> other
> computers on my peer to peer network can access data files.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 6:04:47 PM

The software I use requires data files to me on one drive. If you use c:
then all of the computers will access their own c: drive and will not share
the data on the "server".

I did this on Windows 98 by doing the following;

In the autoexec.bat command

C:\windows\command\subst T: C:\

I'm just an accountant, I'm not very savy when it comes to computer
"programming". Thanks for any help you can give.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Why don't you just enable sharing?

> "okiebeancounter" <okiebeancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:FC2BBA9F-F31C-4EF6-A727-21D80573D7F8@microsoft.com...
> > How do I set up a "virtual drive". I need one to mirror my c-drive so
> > other
> > computers on my peer to peer network can access data files.

February 21, 2005 12:42:16 PM

You can just map a drive. So C can be C local and T via the network (nothing stops you connecting to your files via T). This is the easiest. So do what you do on other computers on your computer too.

Or put subst in a shortcut and put it in Startup folder.
http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
"okiebeancounter" <okiebeancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12FFA8DF-D3B1-43BF-A4DC-1EB4DCF9298E@microsoft.com...
> The software I use requires data files to me on one drive. If you use c:
> then all of the computers will access their own c: drive and will not share
> the data on the "server".
>
> I did this on Windows 98 by doing the following;
>
> In the autoexec.bat command
>
> C:\windows\command\subst T: C:\
>
> I'm just an accountant, I'm not very savy when it comes to computer
> "programming". Thanks for any help you can give.
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Why don't you just enable sharing?
>>
>> --
>> "okiebeancounter" <okiebeancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:FC2BBA9F-F31C-4EF6-A727-21D80573D7F8@microsoft.com...
>> > How do I set up a "virtual drive". I need one to mirror my c-drive so
>> > other
>> > computers on my peer to peer network can access data files.

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:42:17 PM

Thanks for your response.

I have the T drive mapped now, (i still use Windows 98 on the "server
computer"). But I am upgrading the computers and will be using XP
Professional on all of my computers.

On the server computer, I have to have a virtual drive (T), so I guess my
question now is can you direct me on putting the subst in a shortcut.
Appreciate all help I can get.

"David Candy" wrote:

> You can just map a drive. So C can be C local and T via the network (nothing stops you connecting to your files via T). This is the easiest. So do what you do on other computers on your computer too.
>
> Or put subst in a shortcut and put it in Startup folder.
> http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
> "okiebeancounter" <okiebeancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12FFA8DF-D3B1-43BF-A4DC-1EB4DCF9298E@microsoft.com...
> > The software I use requires data files to me on one drive. If you use c:
> > then all of the computers will access their own c: drive and will not share
> > the data on the "server".
> >
> > I did this on Windows 98 by doing the following;
> >
> > In the autoexec.bat command
> >
> > C:\windows\command\subst T: C:\
> >
> > I'm just an accountant, I'm not very savy when it comes to computer
> > "programming". Thanks for any help you can give.
> >

> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> Why don't you just enable sharing?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> >> "okiebeancounter" <okiebeancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:FC2BBA9F-F31C-4EF6-A727-21D80573D7F8@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 5:50:05 PM

You just type
subst T: C:\
in a shortcut and drag it to the startup folder on Start.

R/C the desktop, New - Shortcut
"okiebeancounter" <okiebeancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12BFAD08-F698-4E60-896E-3C4E8FDC2D0F@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I have the T drive mapped now, (i still use Windows 98 on the "server
> computer"). But I am upgrading the computers and will be using XP
> Professional on all of my computers.
>
> On the server computer, I have to have a virtual drive (T), so I guess my
> question now is can you direct me on putting the subst in a shortcut.
> Appreciate all help I can get.
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> You can just map a drive. So C can be C local and T via the network (nothing stops you connecting to your files via T). This is the easiest. So do what you do on other computers on your computer too.
>>
>> Or put subst in a shortcut and put it in Startup folder.
>> --
>> http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
>> "okiebeancounter" <okiebeancounter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12FFA8DF-D3B1-43BF-A4DC-1EB4DCF9298E@microsoft.com...
>> > The software I use requires data files to me on one drive. If you use c:
>> > then all of the computers will access their own c: drive and will not share
>> > the data on the "server".
>> >
>> > I did this on Windows 98 by doing the following;
>> >
>> > In the autoexec.bat command
>> >
>> > C:\windows\command\subst T: C:\
>> >
>> > I'm just an accountant, I'm not very savy when it comes to computer

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 5:50:06 PM

Thanks a bunch. Not at my office right now but will try it first thing in
the morning.

!