6 out of 6 drives fail Seagate drive structure test. Wtf.

predatorgsr

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Background: Recently, one of my drives was acting strangely, when it was plugged in occasionally windows would get stuck on the loading bar, it seems a bit louder than normal, and occasionally wouldn't show up in bios. I procrastinated too long on fixing the situation, and one day the computer crashed, and 100 gigs of my data disappeared. I was able to recover the data, fortunately, and bought two brand new seagate 500 gig drives and put them in a Thecus eSATA enclosure in raid 1, to avoid this situation happening again.

I ran the Seagate tests on the defective drive, and it passed all of them except for the Drive Structure Test. I low level formatted the drive, then retested the drive again. It failed the test again, and was really loud during the test, so I obtained an RMA authorization for it.

Now here is the tricky part. After doing this, I ran the drive structure test on all my other drives (1x200GB, 1x250GB, 1x320, 1x500 Raid 1 external, all Seagate). ALL the drives failed the drive structure test, even the 3 day old 500GB Raid. Wtf is going on here. My defective drive clearly had problems, but the rest seem fine. Is the seagate drive structure test worth anything?

I have XP Pro Sp2, Diskkeeper Pro, and Azeurus, which I suppose may affect the disk performance.

TRENDING THREADS